• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breadcrumbs

johnjohn

If a recipe calls for breadcrumbs, which should you use - fresh or dry. I came across this twice in the past few weeks - once with meatballs and the other with crabcakes. Is there some rule that I don't know about?

Thanks in advance

johnjohn

For me, it's a matter of what's on hand.

There's very nearly always a decaying loaf of Acme bread in the kitchen, and that's handy for "fresh" breadcrumbs. That's what I use 80% of the time.

You mentioned specifically meatballs and crabcakes. Those are two items where I usually don't use fresh, as I find I can regulate the consistency more to my liking with the fine grained "crumbs" in the carton from the grocery. Could just be laziness on my part.

Panko are fine for exterior crust and I will often add some to my own fresh crumbs for deep-frying some items.

But for mixing into meatballs and such, fresh.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

If a recipe calls for breadcrumbs, which should you use - fresh or dry.  I came across this twice in the past few weeks - once with meatballs and the other with crabcakes.  Is there some rule that I don't know about?

Thanks in advance

johnjohn

I think it depends on how they are being used. As a crust, dried. As a filling, fresh, perhaps soaked in milk and squeezed dry. Bread crumbs in either form are an abomination when used as a crab cake extender.

Jim

There's very nearly always a decaying loaf of Acme bread in the kitchen...

:laugh: Yeah, here too. I only use Panko when I'm coating something like a piece of fish, otherwise it's stale fresh bread all the way.

PS Acme bread crumbs, tossed w/ a little olive oil and garlic & toasted, makes a perfect topping for all sorts of pasta or vegetable dishes.