• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Café Asia is open

My friend Yu Sheon opened this restaurant quietly last week. Great dramatic space. 3 levels of dining. Very clean looking minimalist lines. This is a much needed addition to this part of downtown. The sushi was first rate. My favorite dishes are the wok dishes, so think about noodles. We had authentic lo-mein tossed at the table and an incredible Pad-Thai served with an omelette on top! The menu covers all the pan-Asian bases. Large sushi selection. The prices are very moderate. Cool music, too.

Mark

Mark--how often and how recently have you eaten in the Arlington space? How did you find the quality of food there? Our experiences there have not been good--poor sushi, pale imitations of Vietnamese or Thai dishes much better elsewhere in the neighborhood, like Minh's and Singh Thai, and we've vowed never to return.

Should we?

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

I ate at Cafe Asia in Arlington about 2 months ago, and ordered a large variety of sushi, including amebi, sea urchin etc. I was a bit nervous, and honestly the low prices made me even more uncertain, but I was very pleasantly surprised. The sushi was quite fresh, nicely cut, professionally served. And at very reasonable prices,as I mentioned. We have nothing like this in downtown Philly at the moment (we have plenty of very mediocre sushi at low prices, and wonderful sushi at very high prices tho)--tell your friend to come open another location here!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Ate there again tonight. General Tao's Shrimp was outstanding. We got an incredible, pristine selection of sushi, sashimi and nagiri. The seafood Pad Thai was super-delicious. I learned from Sheon that you have to toss the noodles at the table. I love this.

P.S. There was much eye candy.

Mark