• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Opus One 2000

Mark Sommelier

I had lunch today with France Posner and the local boys to taste the new 2000 release of Opus One. We dined at Tosca in Washington, DC. Nice lunch. The wine has interesting Asian spice notes in the bouquet. Firm middle palate with generous fruit. Very ripe. The finish lingers nicely. We tasted it next to an Opus 1992 from France's cellar. The '92 would be a great ringer in a Bordeaux tasting. Very leathery and tarry. Fruit is still alive, dry finish. I actually preferred drinking the 2000, but this was undoubtedly a very good wine. For the third year in a row, they have not raised the price.

Edited by Mark Sommelier (log)

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I have also been able to taste the 2000 with France. I thought it was quite nice and should develop nicely over the nest 10+ years. Whe we did a lunch last year with the 99 and 95, it was remarkable to see the similarities of the wines and vintages. The 95 was showing beautifully and developing into a really fine wine.

I have never met a miserly wine lover