• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mango Chicken Curry

I have not really every had this curry in any home I have visited over the years.

Today, some friends told me that it is a dish many restaurants do prepare. Do you know of any that have this dish on their menus?

Have you ever eaten a Mango Chicken Curry?

What was it like? Where did you eat it? Did it leave a lasting impression?

Was it made with the sweet chutney, Fresh savory Indian style teekhe aam ke chutney (spicy sour chutney), Green mango chutney? Or was it something very different???

I am so very curious to know any and all things about this dish. I have no clue what it is... I have never seen it on a menu.. and I have never ever even seen it served.

I am so very curious to know any and all things about this dish. I have no clue what it is... I have never seen it on a menu.. and I have never ever even seen it served.

As far as I could think it is probably not Indian.

This is definetely fusion / confusion. Indian + Malayasian.

Penang in Manhattan serves Mango chicken and I would think in all of their locations. It is served in a mango shell and is Malay style chicken curry cooked with sliced mangoes which are sour to sweet. Personally it did not leave me a with lasting taste but I know it one of their popular entrees. It all depends how one likes their food seasoned, other than this entree I certainly enjoy the restaurant.

P2

I was once trying to figure out something a little different for our sunday lunch buffet Chicken, Sweet & spicy and mango were the main ingredients I wanted to work with. I researched it a bit and dicided to marry/adapt two reciepes I came accross

One was called Mango and yogurt curry from Gujrat by Camillia Punjabi.and

the other was called 'Glassy' decribed as sweet mango beef in The Varied Kitchens Of India by Copland Marks.

We call this reciepe Mango Tango.

It is a sweet and spicy mango chicken curry flavored with dried ginger and ground green chillies and tempered with cumin seeds and curry leaves.

Its purely a restaurant style adaptation and consists of preparing a mango concentrate which you add to a Basic Chicken Curry.

A. Preapare a basic chicken curry with one 3 1/4 lb bird. Go easy on the tomatoes and don't add any water.

B. Mango Concentrate.

1 Mango puree ( Canned) ----3 cup

2 yogurt -----1/3 cup. Homemade is better as it is usually a little sour/tangy.Blended smooth.

3 Besan(gram flour) ----- 3 heaped table spoons

4 Ginger powder ------1 heaped tspn

5 Green Chilli paste of -------2 to 3 chillies more if you like it hot

6 Hing ( asphatedea) ------ a generous pinch

7 Ginger Paste ------ 2 tspn

8 Jaggery or Brown sugar ------- add only if the canned mango pulp/puree is not sweet enough.

9 Cumin Seeds -------- 1 tblspn

10 Curry leaves ---------- 10 -15 I like even more

11 Oil ------------1/4 cup or less

Method

Blend gramflour to a smooth paste with a little water

In thick Bottomed pot add ingredients 1 through 7 ( add sugar in the end if you need it)

Add Four cups of water bring to a boil stiring to make sure things remain smooth.

reduce to a simmer and cook till its all done and the mixture thickens.

Add the prepared basic chicken curry (A) and mix well.

in a frying pan heat the oil and add the cumin seeds, fry until they are well browned, then add the curry

leaves. When they finish splutering add the entire mixture to your curry and mix it in.

Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy with fresh steamed rice.

We usually prepare it in bulk and I simply converted it on the fly into four portions using one bird. The

proportions should be OK but feel free to taste periodically and adjust as you go.

Is it authentic? Heck no but my patrons enjoy it whenever its on the buffet and I guess thats what counts.

I hope you enjoy it too.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

As far as I could think it is probably not Indian.

This is definetely fusion / confusion. Indian + Malayasian.

Penang in Manhattan serves Mango chicken and I would think in all of their locations. It is served in a mango shell and is Malay style chicken curry cooked with sliced mangoes which are sour to sweet. Personally it did not leave me a with lasting taste but I know it one of their popular entrees. It all depends how one likes their food seasoned, other than this entree I certainly enjoy the restaurant.

P2

This intrigued me as I'm Malaysian and haven't tried or heard of a mango curry before.

So googled it (in English and Malay) and found a recipe for Ripe Mango Curry with Spices in a book titled 'An Indian in Exile' which is a compilation of recipes of a Kerala born lady who lived in Malaysia and published by her daughter who now lives in Wales! This particular recipe is not available online. However details of the book are available at http://www.anindianinexile.com and http://www.anindianinexile.com/An%20Indian...0in%20Exile.pdf.

Guess mango curry is truly an Indian / Malaysian confusion / fusion!