• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Haute Santa Cruz?

Elissa

A friend just moved to Santa Cruz and I was wondering which spots there one ought not miss. He likes Japanese, French, Italian, SE Asian and of course Californian Cuisine. Your recs heartily appreciated.

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Thanks Ian!

As subscribers to hi-lo dicotemy (we both seek either great exquisite food or good lowly grub but gah to anything between) we'd also like recs for notable dives of any ethnicity...

x

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

O'mei Restaurant on Mission for outstanding Schezwan-style cuisine, and Oswald Bistro for regional food specialties, on the mall downtown. Gayles Bakery in Capitola for pastries, breads, cakes, sandwiches, and take-out dinner.

For a special occasion, the Sierra Mar Restaurant at Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur is very, very nice. (The hotel is absolutely unique and wonderful, and the restaurant is its equal.)

I got engaged halfway through a great room service dinner--on the deck oustaide of our room, ovelooking the Pacific. (Right after a fabulous mushroom soup, in fact.) :wub::smile:

I have been spending the last seven years vacationing in Santa Cruz because my only daughter lives out there ... I live in Atlanta, Ga. .... but I simply love the wide range of choices available for fine and just plain good dining there!

One of the best and my all time favorite is:

http://www.bittersweetbistro.com/index.html

Consistently wins awards and justifiably so! Make a reservation and enjoy the warmth and variety of great stuff on their menu.

Also second the mention of Oswald's in downtown Santa Cruz, and Gabriella Cafe is terrific! Breakfasts are superb in that area as well... check out Walnut Avenue Cafe and Zachary's .. huge breakfasts with local ingredients. :rolleyes:

Local open air Wednesday markets provide a wide array of fresh produce brought in by local farmers ... a lot of organic stuff as well... and, do stroll on West Cliff Drive .. joggers, dogs, lovers, roller bladers, surfers, and the beauty of Monterrey Bay plus the waves crashing on the rocks .. wish I was there right now!!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I've lived in Santa Cruz for fifteen years now, and I will no longer go to Bittersweet Bistro after a good friend of mine worked there. I used to love it, but the horror stories about staff treatment are just rampant. As a former waitress, I couldn't patronize them any more.

Oswald is fantastic—they cannot do anything wrong. I would eat a napkin if Damani Thomas cooked it. I love Gabriella Café (so much that I did their website for trade). Jim Denevan just returned after a hiatus, and dear God, that man can cook. (They have a nice brunch, too.)

Gayle's Bakery is justifiably legendary. And Joe and Gayle are two of the nicest people in the world and I hope they have more money than God and Oprah because they know what to do with it.

On the west side, Ristorante Avanti's Brian Curry (the guest chef at the most recent Outstanding in the Field "farm dinner," for which I also do the website) is doing amazing things, with consistently good reviews. Omei is there, too, and is tasty Chinese, especially the basil eggplant.

Everyone seems to like Walnut Street Café but I am always vaguely dissatisfied when I leave there. Across the street is a new place called Soif (French for "thirst") that is getting a lot of notice for its wine list. (They are a bistro and wine store.) It's pricey (for Santa Cruz) and it's beautiful inside. On the walls, like the heads of moose or deer, are giant trunks of old grapevines. On Tuesday night, you can hear a great piano player, Art Alm (happy birthday, Art!), and sometimes Lori Rivera will sing with him. (These two are local treasures.)

Casablanca used to be a favorite—haven't been there in a long time, but it's got a great location and it's kind of chi-chi fancy. It overlooks the Boardwalk, the pier, and the ocean. It's one of the fanciest, traditional restaurants in Santa Cruz.

Santa Cruz has great sushi: Shogun and Mobo are downtown. Pink Godzilla (unless they've got party animals in the little tatami rooms) on 41st Avenue in Capitola is good. Really really good barbeque can be found at a chain, Armadillo Willy's at the 41st Avenue exit off Highway One. I'm not kidding, either—I'm from the Deep South, and I know good BBQ. It's fine.

Mexican food? Downtown at El Palomar is very good, and most people are crazy about it. Authentic Mexican food lovers squabble about which is better—Tacqueria Vallarta or Tacos Moreno, but my husband and I don't see what the fuss is about on the latter. Vallarta serves burritos as big as a baby's leg! (They are next to Shopper's Corner near downtown, and near the end of 41st Avenue in Capitola.)

For quick, downhome American food, including fantastic burgers and fries and a salad bar, try Carpo's. They're both on the far west side on Mission, and in Soquel at the Bay/Porter exit. (If you're headed south on Highway 1, turn left under the bridge. They're just up on the right, at the second quick light, just after the bridge.)

Also downtown, next to Bookshop Santa Cruz, is Chocolate. David Jackman has lived in Italy for about a dozen years, and he makes really really good food that tastes like it's been touched with love. Thumbs up.

The Wednesday and Saturday farmer's markets feature Bill the Oysterman, whose icy cold oysters run a mere $10/dozen. You can also find Gabriella Café's focaccia (to die for), and a zillion other things you want like Donnelly's Chocolates. World class markets. Saturday is out at Cabrillo College in Aptos at the Park Boulevard exit from Highway One.

If you have any more questions about specifics in Santa Cruz, please give a holler. I love love love playing tour guide.

Edited by tanabutler (log)

Whoops, how could I forget my favorite, Italian? Santa Cruz is full of Italians who've opened restaurants, and are saving their money to return home.

I'll do a list and post it later. Promise!

P.S., Hi, Gifted, I'm a Marietta girl!

David Kinch's Manresa, of course!  Not too far for "The French Laundry South."

Slurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp.

David is the guest chef for a farm dinner in September at the same apple orchard where he cooked last year. He's one of the most fascinating people I've met, in four years of farm dinners. Of course, maybe he was just slap happy from basting a pig since two in the morning with a rosemary branch.

9.jpg

He says he's going to get very fancy this year—last year was earthy and primitive, but I think he plans to pull out the stops this year. I cannot wait.

:smile:

Whoops, how could I forget my favorite, Italian? Santa Cruz is full of Italians who've opened restaurants, and are saving their money to return home.

I'll do a list and post it later. Promise!

P.S., Hi, Gifted, I'm a Marietta girl!

I loved all the meals I've had at Avanti and Restorante Italiano as well!

That town is a foodie heaven, if there ever was one ... would love to read your "best of" list ... being sure to include the Nick and Bookshop (my daughter is a manager there) ..

The food in that area is completely divine ... how about the great places on Soquel Drive? Golden Buddha and the Creperie are tops ... and the groceries? Shopper's Corner and New Leaf and Trader Joes .. I come back here (Dunwoody) and feel positively "deprived" .. and always miss the Bay and the wharf and Gilda's Seafood, Stagnaro's, etc. among other cool fish places ...

sigh ....

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I loved all the meals I've had at Avanti and Restorante Italiano as well!

That town is a foodie heaven, if there ever was one ... would love to read your "best of" list ... being sure to include the Nick and Bookshop (my daughter is a manager there) ..

The food in that area is completely divine ... how about the great places on Soquel Drive? Golden Buddha and the Creperie are tops ... and the groceries? Shopper's Corner and New Leaf and Trader Joes .. I come back here (Dunwoody) and feel positively "deprived" .. and always miss the Bay and the wharf and Gilda's Seafood,  Stagnaro's, etc. among other cool fish places ...

sigh ....

I really like Ristorante Avanti and had forgotten about Golden Buddha. There are few Chinese restaurants in town other than good old blue-collar working class ones, which are nevertheless respectable. Tam's (west side on Mission), King Chwan (Ocean Street) and Chinese Village (very unassuming place just off 41st Avenue in Capitola) are all fine for that purpose. Golden Buddha has more atmosphere than the others, but the food is pretty much the same standard—though good—Chinese food. Omei stands out as being Chinese fusion, I'd say, and looks the least like a typical Chinese restaurant inside. It's very nice.

I don't eat at Ristorante Italiano, but for no good reason. Just never got in the loop after one visit. The Crepe Place used to be somewhere I ate, ten+ years ago but I haven't been impressed on the last few visits.

It's been a long time since I've been out on the wharf, too.

Okay, we just came back from sushi at Shogun downtown and I am here to say it's the best place in town for sushi. It's the most attractive by far—clean, bright and lovely decor. They're a tight machine. We ordered spider rolls (soft-shelled crab), Hawaiian rolls (eel with macadamia nuts, avocado and cucumber), and hamachi. The hamachi was so...pink. It looked like baby flesh, and was perfect. And this tiny detail: the sliced ginger is the best I've ever had anywhere, and I've been eating sushi up and down the left coast since 1983. But the quality of that ginger reflects their commitment to good food.

So add to the list with Mobo Sushi and Pink Godzilla this one: Takara. One behind the Capitola mall and one on Soquel Avenue in Santa Cruz. It's got decent sushi, too.

Now, Italiano!

My personal favorites are Bella Napoli (Water Street, near Ocean Street in Santa Cruz), Il Pirata on the Esplanade in Capitola, and Star Bené on Portola near Twin Lakes. The staff at Bella Napoli are all Italian, and I would have their babies if I could. They are committed to real Italian food, and if you've been to Italy, you know what that means. Happily, Santa Cruz is Olive Garden free!

I first ate at Il Pirata two weeks after I came back from Italy—my one and only trip there. I had the Italian epiphany when I was there—where the blinders fall off about what we grew up thinking was Italian. I loved it. I have been many times, but the last time it wasn't perfect. Not sure why. I'll go back and see what I can find out.

I forgot to mention Clouds Downtown—good menu, great bar, and one of the best designed spots downtown. As close as Santa Cruz comes to being "trendy." (The bar is featured, as opposed to Oswald, which is pure bistro.)

Lastly, Santa Cruz has more coffeehouses per capita than Nashville has Baptist churches. They're all just dandy, but since I do not ingest coffee, I will leave the reviews to those who do. They are ubiquitous, and all have their own special following. In Soquel, where I live, it's The Ugly Mug—poorly named but well-lit and accessible. Lulu Carpenter's, at the upper end of the Pacific Garden Mall, is lovely.

For shopping pleasure, Shopper's Corner has been on the same spot since 1938. Nice store but really overpriced for wines and stuff. REALLY. The absolute best wine store in the county is K Wines and Liquors behind Gayle's Bakery. Bar none. The DeLuxe Foods in Aptos (Rio Del Mar exit in the same place as Bittersweet Bistro) is pretty damn good for shopping—pricey but the variety is awesome. They have an entire cooler of authentic Italian gelato that will make your knees quake. And all hail Trader Joe's. I personally have financed each of their remodels.

There are many places in town I've not been to, and many I have. Sorry if I've missed some.

Lissome, how old is your friend? And is he a foodie like the people here? If he has any specific questions, have him e-mail me. I have recommendations about places to avoid, but probably I shouldn't be terribly public about those.

If your friend likes wine, there is a great place on Cannery Row in Monterey, very near the aquarium. (Monterey Bay Aquarium is a Must See on my list.) It's called A Taste of Monterey, and the view is spectacular. (I linked to a 196K panorama that shows the scope of the room.) In the tasting room, you pay a small fee to taste six different wines (all white/all red/mix) from Monterey county. It's a very pleasant way to spend a while on Cannery Row—highly recommended.

In the peaceful and beautiful town of Pacific Grove, nearby, our favorite place to eat is Peppers. South-of-the-border meets Californian cuisine—generous portions, great wine and beer list, and delicious food.

Carmel is kind of fancy, but it has great restaurants. My foodie friend recently ate at Tarpy's Roadhouse and raved and raved and raved.

I got engaged halfway through a great room service dinner--on the deck oustaide of our room, ovelooking the Pacific.  (Right after a fabulous mushroom soup, in fact.) :wub:  :smile:

Wow, that is such an incrediblely romantic story. Better than the proposal on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, even. :biggrin:

I have stayed at the Post Ranch Inn-during their "cheap" mid-week, mid-winter specials. The food was great, the view was unbelievable. A real treat.

Do you two plan to go there every year for your anniversary?

Thanks everyone for all the recs. And Tana Butler: what gorgeous sites you make! Between the gardens and squash flowers and Alice and Hawaii i feel as though I've been on holiday. I sent my friend the link to this thread (he's a surgeon in this thirties) so perhaps he'll take you up on your generous offer; however I promise that I will when I visit, and soon :biggrin:

x

p/s

are you down for preprandial ashtanga?

Edited by lissome (log)

-Beaumarchais

and tana btw how does one wrangle an invite to the apple orchard roast? that's when i'd like to visit...

David is the guest chef for a farm dinner in September at the same apple orchard where he cooked last year.

9.jpg

:rolleyes:

Edited by lissome (log)

-Beaumarchais

If you want really good food forget santa cruz and head south to Carmel for the best expereince you can have check out bernardus lodge in carmel valley, i was pastry chef there for a few years and the chef cal stamenov is one of the best chefs in the country, trust me i know having worked for daniel boloud and marcus sammuelsson in nyc for a few years now i think cals food far surpasses anything daniel has done in years check it out bernarduslodge.com

• 1 month later...

It's hard to add to Tana's excellent recommendations, but I would mention Theo's restaurant in Soquel for dinner. For the best quiche, try The Farm bakery on Soquel Drive in Aptos; they also have beautiful fresh fruit tarts. The Buttery on Soquel Avenue near downtown Santa Cruz has the best chocolate cake as well as flourless Black Forest cake. My vote for sushi is Pink Godzilla, mentioned by several others. Marinis on Pacific Mall has the best walnut caramel apples. There- that sounds like a balanced diet, right?

Welcome to Santa Cruz!

Roz