• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moving up to Westchester

We are, hopefully, closing on a house in Bronxville at the end of the week. I know much has been written hereabouts regarding where to eat in Westchester. What I'm looking for is staff of life type stuff. Jewish deli, good Chinese food, decent bagels (I've already located pizza). I don't mind driving a half an hour, but I don't want to have to come back to the city for take out. Thanks in advance.

Edited by abbeynormal (log)

Geez, "the 'chester" is pretty big (well, not really... but it seems that way with all of the traffic), and you are fairly far from parts of it--being on the extreme southern end. It's been years since I lived there (in Irvington), so I can no longer be very specific.

Let's cover areas. You will be fairly close to Yonkers. Central Ave. in Yonkers, and up into Scarsdale and into White Plains has always had a lot of mid-level stuff--which seems to be the area you are looking for. I feel I should remember more about Mount Vernon and New Rochelle... but I don't. :wink:

The area where I used to live--up through Dobbs Ferry, Irvington and into Tarrytown was never that great for the middle. Maybe things have changed.

Also, don't forget that Bronxville, while not the Bronx, is CLOSE to the Bronx--in other words the Arthur Avenue area. Go there, and go often. I think it counts as the "staff of life", but hey, I may be fooling myself.

Don't be afraid of the occasional sorties over the GW or Tappan Zee Bridges into Bergen County and occasionally even Rockland. Obviously not for quick takeout, but 'tis good for the shopping trips.

I gotta go and sit and see if I remember anything more specific. I dunno... Stu Leonard's? You may run into Fat Guy. :raz:

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Thanks, but I think you missed the point of my query. Stew Leonard's ain't gonna do it and neither is Arthur Avenue. I am fully aware of both. I know where to find Italian food and an "experience" supermarket. I need specific recommendations for the kinds of places listed above. I don't want to eat 10 POS corned beef sandwiches in order to find the one good deli. I want one of you to do that. :biggrin: As far as being in the "middle" goes, here again you've gone amiss. I don't care how much it costs, as long as it's good.

I am single and sans famille, so presumably likely quite unlike you, but quite thankful to have just escaped living several years in Bronxville. I liked the fresh air and quiet and space and light and trees, the park at the Bronx River is especially lovely, but for anything else I'd drive to town: town of course being NYC. There's a Gourmet Garage on Central Ave, though the Fairway on 125th may be closer?

Aside from Bxville's excellent movie theater with arthouse films, I liked the fellow at the vaccuum shop who sharpens your knives for a song. The only other thing I can recommend anywhere close to Bxville is the sushi place in Tuckahoe where a young Burmese fellow named Sonny makes lapidary rolls and sashimi. Please tell him I say hi if you go. And do give his spicy octopus handroll a go.

IMHO there is nothing worth eating in Bxville itself: avoid food at the "Italian Tapas" joint by the theater, though a glass of wine at the bar can be okay. Pan and Vino and Underhill's Crossing are both expensive and abominable. Couldn't even recommend a glass of wine at either establishment, as they both seem bent on giving customers the least quality for the most money. Tho once at Pan and Vino I did drink a bottle of Campaccio as an apperatif.

I am not a fan of the deli on the corner either, the one with the mural: tho I suppose if you like potato salad with gallons of mayo, soggy pickles and Boar's Head salami, that's just the place for you. I heard that the Cup and Saucer Cafe, a most terrifying place across from the train station, has been bought and will be transformed into an establishment with Charm, but when I left that was yet to occur.

In Mt. Vernon there's an Italian deli where you can get reggiano and some pretty good cured meats across from the supermarket. Further into Mt. Vernon there are ethnic shops with loads of Carribean and Brazilian goodies: fresh callaloo and scotch bonnets and the like, definitely worth exploring if not exactly sanitary. For a good sandwich without going to the city, once in a while I'd duck into the cute corner cafe in Scarsdale: smoked trout with avocado and arugula was my regular. And then of course you can visit Zachys. There be sure to seek out Alex Javadi. Which reminds me: on the otherside of the tracks in Scarsdale is one other good sushi place.

I know this does not really address your question, but I dont eat bagels or take out chinese :unsure: On the other hand, Kung Suh has another of their amazing Korean restaurants on Park Ave that I would definitely recommend.

Good luck!

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

lissome:

I agree that everything in Bronxville itself pretty much sucks foodwise. Although I do like the burger at Underhill, have to differ with you there. That thing they call a deli is terrible. I got a sandwich there that must have had all of three ounces of meat on it. Bleech. As far as the Chinese goes, I'm sory if I gave the wrong impression, I'm more than willing to eat at the restaurant.

Pretty close to Bronxville is Mount Kisco, a great restaurant town. Over 20 restaurants here, from a non-Starbucks coffee bar to top flight.

My favorite is Lexington Square, great, hip food and a beautiful outdoor terrace.

By the way, best of luck on your new house ownership!!

Hi AbbeyNormal

Welcome to the neighborhood. I live in Bxville or more affectionately, Yonxville (ie. the zipcode, but not the schools. We have been here for five years and have found the food in Westchester to be abominable---from the grocery stores to the restaurants. Everything is just OK; meanwhile, you pay for genius.

There is a little deli on Tuckahoe Rd, next to Staples that is very good, so is the Pork Store in HighRidge Plaza on Central Ave near the Pathmark. I buy my meat there ( the guys that work there are really cute!)

Can't think of any decent Chinese that we've found--I'd rather cook it myself.

I must say though, there is an awesome Southern food joint in Pelham, very close, called Yvonne's. We just found it and as we're southern transplants, it's like walking into Mama Dips kitchen. The BBQ ribs and fried chicken are great as are the vegetable plates and yummy sweet tea. They even roll their eyes if you ask for unsweetened! :laugh::laugh:

Enough about me---For decent produce, go ahead and drive to Fairway at 125th--Jaime is always willing to get me just about anything-forget that in Wchester. Gourmet Garage sucks as do all of them even in Manhattan.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I just haven't begun to figure out what happens to everyones tastes here once they get off Metro North.

Maybe I just need another 5 years.

Thanks for the info and good wishes. WTF is up with this county? Well if I can't get jewish soul food, can you give me the address of the place in Pelham. Fried chicken & ribs are also essential to my well being. Pork store? Gee I don't know, my wife doesn't like me talking to cute guys. :laugh: We'll have to check out Mount Kisco.

Mount Kisco is about 25 miles from Bronxville.

One thing you learn in the burbs (at least in Westchester and CT) is to never recommend ethnic places to people who have just moved from the city, because nothing will be as good as what you could get in Manhattan. I've lived on the border of Rye Brook and Port Chester and worked in Westchester for 20 years and never heard anyone recommend a single Chinese restaurant in the county. I could recommend Lenny's Bagels and th Rye Ridge Deli in Rye Brook as the best in bagels and deli around here, but I have no idea how they stack up to what's in Bronxville.

One thing you learn in the burbs (at least in Westchester and CT) is to never recommend ethnic places to people who have just moved from the city, because nothing will be as good as what you could get in Manhattan.

That's probably true in many cases, but I'd offer that China 46 in Ridgefield NJ and Hunan Taste in Fairfield NJ are probably equal to places in NYC in the same price range.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

So then it sounds like we should change the title of this thread. How about "Moving to Bronxville (Westchester), Tell me about the great local places..."?

I didn't do that because: 1. I wanted to make the topic broad enough that people would at least look at the thread, thinking (foolishly) that by reading my first post the purpose of the thread would be understood; and 2. There is no such thing as a great local place in Bronxville, something I didn't need to be told.

Here's the part I don't understand, perhaps someone can explain. You have a population that is generally quite affluent (if house prices are anything to go by) who are not so far from the city to be bumpkins when it comes to eating.

So I'm sending the word out to all you would-be restaurateurs. There's a lot of money in them thar hills and precious little competition.

Here's my quickie New Rochelle report:

Chinese: Don't bother coming here for it

Bagels: I don't think there's anyplace for them other than the local Dunkin' Donuts

Jewish delis: None worth speaking of

The one thing that New Ro has going for it culinarily is a very large Mexican community; perhaps not one to compare with some of the outer boroughs, but certainly more outstanding food-wise than Manhattan. Try Las Cazuelas on North Ave., El Michoacan on Main St., or The Mexican Corner Restaurant on Main St. (in that order).

Edited for grammar

Edited by rstarobi (log)

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Here are a couple other observations about food here around Bronxville---

There is a good little cafe in Tuckahoe that serves a terrific breakfast called the Main Street Cafe-it's just up Main St (duh) from the Train Station. We go there for breakfast quite often. The buttermilk and buckwheat pancakes are made from scratch--- hot, light and absolutely delicious. The Eggs Benedict and Eggs Florentine are likewise very tasty with each of holladaise made to order and perfectly poached eggs. The Crabcake Benedict is good too, though for my taste, less bread and more crab would be preferable.

We've been disappointed at lunch, but if you do a great breakfast, you deserve success in my book.

There is also an admirable Asian grocery store on Central Ave. around Scarsdale and Hartsdale--lots of very fresh Asian produce and every imaginable noodle, tea and spice. Avoid the fish, but if you like Kim Chee, there are about 5 different varieties to choose from. Once I found this place, I decided the only way to get good Chinese, Japanese, Thai or anything was to learn to cook it myself--a happy and enjoyable project. I think this place is called Chinese Supermarket or something like that. They also make a lot of pork buns and other dim sum there that look good, but they don't have a proper kitchen and put the items together in an area right next to the cash registers --a practice the Dept of Agriculture would stop if they saw it happening, I'm sure.

More recommendations to come if I think of them.

If you want a great Jewish deli, do not despair-- head to Riverdale, less than 15 minutes from you to:

Liebman's Deli

552 West 235 Street

Riverdale (Bronx).

Great Pastrami, Corned Beef, pickles, etc.!!!

For breakfast my favorite was the place on the other side of the train trax in Tuckahoe, not the Main Street cafe but the Italian cafe, dont remember the name, a fellow's name. They'd make me scrambled eggs with onions and a side of broccoli rabe :wub: sliced tomatos instead of potatos and a cuppa joe for $5! This IMO the hood's best diner.

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Dissenting opinion here on La Frontiera, if that's what it's called. The used-to-be Spanish-but-now-Spanish/Italian restaurant by the movie theater. I've been there several times, and have always had either the fish in wine/lemon kind of sauce, usually snapper or sea bass or something delicate, or the seafood risotto. I've been pleasantly surprised with the fish, but LOVED the risotto. I have risotto often in NYC, and this stacks up well with my favorites in NYC (San Pietro for one).

<>

I live in Westchester. IMHO, I recommend; Cafe Tandoor in Tarrytown-superb indian, no license yet, byob, Sushi Mikes in Dobbs Ferry-SSSSSSHHHHHH!, Willet house for steaks, Kang Suh central ave for Korean excellent, Japan Inn in Bronxville by the hospital, not bad. There is no good chinese, but there is an excellent asian market called Golden Village on Central ave where you can buy most anything. They make a run to chinatown everyday. They also make at the store, dumplings, springrolls and scallion pancakes.

I live in Westchester. IMHO, I recommend; Cafe Tandoor in Tarrytown-superb indian, no license yet, byob, Sushi Mikes in Dobbs Ferry-SSSSSSHHHHHH!, Willet house for steaks,  Kang Suh central ave for Korean excellent, Japan Inn in Bronxville by the hospital, not bad. There is no good chinese, but there is an excellent asian market called Golden Village on Central ave where you can buy most anything. They make a run to chinatown everyday. They also make at the store, dumplings, springrolls and scallion pancakes.

Brian Young: please allow me to welcome you to eGullet and commend your taste in the same breath :biggrin: or in otherwords, concur.

Edited by lissome (log)

-Beaumarchais

I live in Westchester. IMHO, I recommend; Cafe Tandoor in Tarrytown-superb indian, no license yet, byob, Sushi Mikes in Dobbs Ferry-SSSSSSHHHHHH!, Willet house for steaks, Kang Suh central ave for Korean excellent, Japan Inn in Bronxville by the hospital, not bad. There is no good chinese, but there is an excellent asian market called Golden Village on Central ave where you can buy most anything. They make a run to chinatown everyday. They also make at the store, dumplings, springrolls and scallion pancakes.

Just to help out, the Willett House is in Portchester, one block off Route 1. The steaks are pretty good.