• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ong Choy Redux

Hest88

Ewwwwwwwww :blink:

This brings me to the question.....knowing the 'secret' behind why the ong choy tasted so good, would you still eat it?

This reminds me of something DH told me. He said when he was very young, he used to see the bao lo take in a mouthful of water and "ptui!" on the baos as they were taken out of the steamer, to put a sheen to the bao skin. I was oblivious to that fact and blissfully partaked in my baos. Nowadays, they use a sprayer. Thank goodness! Of course, if I know of any bao man doing that spewing act in this day and age, I'd report him to the authorities!!!

Edited to add: Just remembered. Everyone used to peel off the bao skin before they ate the bao. And no wonder!

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Ewwwwwwwww :blink:

Edited to add: Just remembered. Everyone used to peel off the bao skin before they ate the bao. And no wonder!

Funny, now that you mentioned this fact, I remember Mom always peeling the skin off purchased baos.

One should make a collection of all these little informative notes. :hmmm:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

This reminds me of something DH told me. He said when he was very young, he used to see the bao lo take in a mouthful of water and "ptui!" on the baos as they were taken out of the steamer, to put a sheen to the bao skin. I was oblivious to that fact and blissfully partaked in my baos. Nowadays, they use a sprayer. Thank goodness! Of course, if I know of any bao man doing that spewing act in this day and age, I'd report him to the authorities!!!

Eeeek!!! This is the first I've heard of that practice!!! (Of course, the heat from the steamer would probably sterilize any germs, but even so....)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

• 15 years later...

I raised the surrender flag stir frying this vegetable at home because, invariably, by the time I plate it and serve it at the table it has turned or beginning to turn the color of very dark olive green and is chewy and dry. I had a very hot wok and stir fried for just about a minute. A very sad contrast to the Google images of the dish that had a bright green color and a bit of sauce I drool on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noodle fan said:

I raised the surrender flag stir frying this vegetable at home because, invariably, by the time I plate it and serve it at the table it has turned or beginning to turn the color of very dark olive green and is chewy and dry. I had a very hot wok and stir fried for just about a minute. A very sad contrast to the Google images of the dish that had a bright green color and a bit of sauce I drool on. 

IME, ong choy, when cooked, is dark green (leaves are darker than stems). The stems part is chewy & crunchy, but not woody, IIRC. Maybe you can try cooking it a little longer or a lot longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noodle fan said:

Don't surrender. I watched ladies make it and prefer the spicy fermented tofu like an earlier post. And it needs a bit of liquid in the process. Where are you sourcing it?  enjoy all greens and this is a favorite. 

• Like 1