• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods that you can eat and eat

fresco

Green papaya salad.

This has been my early dinner / late lunch two or three times a week since moving to Chinatown in May :blush: and I'm just praying I don't ruin it by eating it too much.

Though I've sampled maybe 5 different GPSs in the hood, both Vietnamese and Thai, Nha Hang's is my undisputed favorite. The texture: soft and crunchy and crisp and light. The flavors: hot and cool, sour and the tinyest smidge of sweet. The peanuts and cilantro and chili oil! This to me is perfect food; if I have one at 4 that's pretty much all I need for the day. Usually they serve it with grilled beef on top, but actually that's superfluous. I would like watch and learn how they make it but have yet to ask.

Mandalay, the Burmese restaurant up the road closed for renovations at the moment, has a ginger salad with the same capacity to enslave me. Luckily when they reopen (soon!) it will be for lunch and dinner...

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Well, if we're polling the whole family, my SO says grapes, my cat Happy says ketchup, cat George says "Anything" (He runs into the kitchen eagerly no matter what I'm getting from there) and cat Mona says "I lick my own butt constantly--does that count?"

Green papaya salad.

I had this for the first time ever just the other day at a Thai/Korean baby shower - the fish sauce smell scared me at first, but after i tasted it it was incredibly addictive. and fiery hot!

Hi all - this is my first post ever :D

anyways - i ask myself this question every sunday, as i tend to cook a big pot of something, and then eat it for the next 5 days.

so far i never get tired of:

mac and cheese with tuna

ground beef and rice

pizza

hamburgers (homemade)

right now, i would kill to just be able to eat more than four bites of anything. the percocet is not helping the pain, nor is it dampening the appetite, and sleep is something i am not good at doing at the moment. :angry:

maybe i can have some more mush soon.

renee

Foods I can eat & eat & eat & eat...

Creamy garlic mashed potatoes

Jambaylia of any sort

Crawfish, boiled spicy

Boudin, the Creole sort, not the French

Did I say boudin?

Oh, and boudin.

And let's not forget biscuits and milk gravy. Yum.

My brothers and I have talked about this subject before and have called it the "What is your 'on Death Row' last meal?". The meals are usually something we never tire of and could eat every day:

My mom's chicken fried steak with a mound of from-scratch mashed potatoes (made with a touch of sour cream and horseradish) filled with brown gravy (with onion) with a large pat of butter melting in the gravy and oozing down the sides because you didn't make your mashed potato "dam" as well as you should have.

Along with her wilted leaf spinach salad and a hot bacon dressing (recipe from the 1955 Better Homes and Garden Cookbook...omitted from later versions of the cookbook).

Steamed broccoli with sharp cheddar cheese sauce.

And for dessert, something sinful that we call "The Next Best Thing to Robert Redford"....it has a baked butter-walnut-flour crust, with layers of puddings and cream cheese & whipped cream, topped with more whipped cream and shavings of chocolate.

Comfort food to the Nth degree!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Bagels and cream cheese.

Ice cream.

My mom's pork chops and scalloped potatoes.

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Any kind of grilled meat

Sashimi

Cherries

The "seafood soup with vegetables" at Nha Trang in NY Chinatown

Any or all, I could have every single day

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

When I like a food, I can eat it for weeks and weeks, and I used to do so when I was single but cannot do so anymore because my husband and children will not tolerate it. The foods that I have gladly eaten every day for two weeks or more, dating mostly from my days as a singleton too busy to cook any serious meals for one:

pimiento-cheese sandwich;

peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich;

oatmeal;

raisin-bran cereal with milk, which served as breakfast, lunch, and dinner during crunch times at work, for weeks and weeks;

a pork-and-Chinese-broccoli stir-fry dish that I used to take out from a Chinese restaurant on the way home from work at 9 p.m. and that was enough for dinner for two or three nights in a row.

These days, the foods that I would happily eat every day if my family would go along with it are:

macaroni and cheese;

pimiento-cheese sandwich;

pork spare ribs, either Memphis-dry-rub barbecue or Chinese sticky-sweet-and-savory; and

fried chicken.

Greetings,

For me it is defintely crab legs, definitely a food that aproaches ambrosia status. I love them with fresh rendered butter and dill.. Yum yum yum .. and a squirt of orange juice .. (yes I said orange juice.)

Stew :smile:

Edited by SannisRKHQ (log)

In season I eat so many tomatoes :wub: , that by the time they're on their way out, I'm sick of them. Other foods include cherries, corn, grapefruit (I actually eat 1 per day in the late fall and winter), smoked whitefish, fresh crusty bread schmeared with Plugra (I could probably eat Plugra plain), rare hangar steak, and finally ice cream (growing up, I ate ice cream every day as my post-school snack). :wub:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

French fries, sushi, milk chocolate, perfectly ripe peaches and/or nectarines (for anyone in NY, I've been getting amazing peaches and nectarines at Fairway).

On Sunday I had one of my all-time favorites which I haven't had in a while...fresh bagel with cream cheese, lox, perfectly ripe tomato slices and red onion. Heaven!

Shrimp in any form(boiled, fried, stewed, grilled, etouffeed, sauce piquanted, shish ke babbed, sushied, curried, creamed, ceviched, marinated, barbequed (NOLA style), omletted, etc.ed)

Okra and Tomatoes

Peach Cobbler

Peas (field, blackeyed, lady peas, zipper creams, bring em on with come green tomato relish and some ice tea)

Rice (any kind, from anywhere, brown, white, wild, or tame..ain't none of it lame)

Actually, come to think of it, I can eat and eat damn near anything

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...