• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

jerusalem restaurants

I'm not an expert on Jerusalem, but as I am less than 40 miles away, I guess I have some close and relevant info. I must admit that I haven’t been to all those places, and visits that I did make took place weren't recently. All in all I read most of the Israeli papers and food forums, and have additional data from local friends, so there you are, some good but not fancy or pricy places:

Forgive our Hebrew, as all the names and street names may sound "different". (If you wish, when you arrive I'm willing to talk with you over the phone and give you the exact pronunciation, and further tips…)

* Rachel's Sandwich, 17 Beyt Lehem Rd, (Tel. 02-6713918) is a small place, home cooking style with Tunisian flair.

* Azura 8 Mahne Yehuda, (02-6235204) a Kurd /Iraqi place in the middle of the market, where all the cooking is slowly taking place over wick-stove.

* 2 famous Hummus places:

a) Pinnati, 13 King George St. (02-6254540)

b) T'aami, 3 Shammay St.

* Shalom Falafel, 34 Betzalel St, (02-6231436) I guess is a "hole in the wall" where you'll get the Falafel and salads in a local "wrap" that in Jerusalem is known as Ash-Tanour, and in the rest of Israel as Lafa or Iraqi Pita.

All those places do not require reservations, and are in the west city.

If you'd like some 'higher end' places, just say so.

(Let me know if you have plans to go to the old city, if so, there you can find better places for Hummus, I hold a Hummus Guide book, published in Israel, that gives marks (stars) to Hummus places)

If you decide to travel outside of Jerusalem, I'll be happy to give you some great places in the Judea Mountains, (Food, Cheese and Wine) most of them I've recently visited.

Take care,

Boaziko

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/

I'm happy to list some great places in the Judea Mountains, very close to Jerusalem:

All the places require meeting arrangement before arrival.

(Some googling will surely provide more data in English)

1. Rama's Kitchen in Nataf , (02-5700954) is a Mediterranean kitchen built around a Taboon (kind of local Avon) with one of the most beautiful views in Israel. Rama's site is only in hebrew (www.ramak.co.il)

2. On the same road (the continuation of # 425) about 2 miles before Nataf there is a little dirt road leading to Himelfarb Farm, Har Harouach (Wind mountain), (02-5345660, 054-663353)based on their own goat milk they make some fresh cheese, and our favorite goat yogurt.

3. Road # 386 from Jerusalem will get you to Sataf, where Shai Zeltzer is making his cheese. (02-5333748, 052-603762) He is the founder (and probably the leader) of the "boutique" cheese makers in Israel.

4. Castel Winery, in Ramat Raziel, on road # 395, (02-5342249) is the top Israeli boutique winery and got some international reviews. It is a beautiful place and they make great wine. www.castel.co.il

Have fun.

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

• 1 month later...

Hi Boaziko,

I am returning to Israel from the US after 14 years as a pastry chef.

Do you know how do I start finding a pastry chef/baker jobs in Merkaz Haaretz?

I am going to live near Rishon Lezion.

Any help would be appreciated

Yossi

Hi Yossi and welcome.

The scene in the pastry chef/baker field has changed for the best.

There are lots of specialized bakeries in the centre of Israel, with high quality:

R-café (patiss-art), Lehem Erez, (both have few locations) Eran Burkin, (Hedera) Lehamim (Tel Aviv) Lehem Haaratez (Tel Aviv) Dominick (Ramat Gan) are just a few that weren't here 14 years ago.

If you wish I can find all the phone numbers (I'm not sure who has a site).

There are lots of restaurants that use pastry chefs nowadays.

I know most of the restaurants as a good customer. (I can tip you which are good and who's their owner/chef.)

Boaz(iko)

Hi Boaz,

Thanks for the info.

I am going to be in Israel on the 23rd of Oct. I am a graduate of Le Cordon Blue as Pattisier Superiour (finished with honors-distinction or as the French calls it Mention Bian)

If you don't mind lets talk when I'll be in Israel.

You can e-mail me your phone number at ydfriedman@aol.com

Thanks and TIA

yossi