• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The ideal chef jacket

tejon

If you started a line of chef's coats for women I think you could make a killing. I am 5'2" and super petite, and even the smallest jacket was still a dress on me. Cost me more to have the damn thing altered than it was to purchase.

(rant warning)

(rant)It is the same in the catering industry too -- most uniforms are based on a male figure, despite the increasing number of women entering the field. I wear a tux to serve when I cater, and I look, in a word, ridiculous, a little girl in her daddy's clothing.

Independent clothes makers, uniform entrepreneurs, think about it. Start an online shop, make quality garments for female culinary professionals, and you'll probably do well. (/rant)

Edited by earlgrey (log)

This site shows some details of the garment Jinmyo is talking about.

Suzanne: note the cuffs!

Samugi

Now for me, that comes close to perfect! It just looks so comfortable and practical.

Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

How about BDU's from the army surplus? The things are dirt cheap (usually) and the camouflage pattern makes most stains completely invisible. Also, they are impregnated with fire retardent material so those pesky flaming poptarts don't cause a conflagration, just localized scarring.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

My requirements are:

Triple left-sleeve pocket--one compartment for spoons, one compartment for pens and the thermometer, and one compartment for matches. I hate having to dig around the pens and spoons and thermometer to get the matches out of the bottom of the pocket. :angry:

And only one other thing. My needs are simple.

I'd like a pocket on the other sleeve, too, specially designed to hold a 'taser. So that the next time I catch someone stealing MY heated stock or MY heated cream or MY chinois or walking away from MY table with MY tongs, I can simply zap them in the ankle and bang, they're out cold.

Noise is music. All else is food.

And only one other thing.  My needs are simple.

I'd like a pocket on the other sleeve, too, specially designed to hold a 'taser.

Dimensions of taser, please? And are these books of matches?

(Detail is important to get it right.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I have found the denim selection offered by Chefwear -- double breasted---can be buttoned on the right or left side , and I'm especially found of the buttons covered in the fabric of the jackets themselves a nice touch. I've used several of them over the last few years and they stand up well to hard use...and so what, you got stains...that just shows you're working..... :)

. . . and into the stock pot.

"To Serve Man....it's....it's a cook book!"

:laugh:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Yup, that sleeve would work, as long as the elastic doesn't stretch out with repeated washing. :sad:

Oh, btw: some of us happen to be left-handed and need the pen/thermometer/taser pockets on the RIGHT sleeve. Mags: remind me the week after next about the links; I'm away on vacation all next week :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

. . . I can simply zap them in the ankle and bang, they're out cold . . .

. . . and into the stock pot.

Now, that's gross.

:rolleyes:

Noise is music. All else is food.