• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unknown Ripert Talents?

Eric Ripert, through his restaurant Le Bernadin in NYC, is known for his exquisite preparations of fish.

In your working with him during the writing of A Return to Cooking, did you discover anything about Ripert's talents with meat, fowl, or anything else? Vegetables or pasta maybe? Pastry?

Do you feel that he's limited in the expression of his talent by the medium and fish theme at Le Bernardin, as crazy as that sounds?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Obviously, his mastery of fish cookery is unmatched as far as I know. For the book he cooked all kinds of food. The finesse was no different. He's an amazing cook. As I think I mentioned, the way he seasoned food was particularly impressive. I'd taste something and it would be great, and then he'd add a little vinegar, a little cayenne, a little espelette, a little Tabasco and it would be even better. Is he limited by fish? No. It's the same thing no matter what he cooks--it's a quality, a standard, that's so exciting to eat.