• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wine suggestions

I guess my question is more of a request than anything. When wine is included in recipe, why is it always so generic, red or white? There are very few cookbooks out there like Tyler Florence's that actually give a type of wine.(such as sauvigon...) While I realize my red wine port sauce will probably never come close to Ripert's, I would like it to be somewhere in the general ballpark. Wouldn't you want to narrow it down to a type of wine that has the characteristics and flavors that would compliment the other ingredients? So many wines, so little time....

Thanks for taking the time for a Q & A!

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I find recipes that give a specific wine a little pretentious. I suppose naming a varietal is ok but specifying a vineyard is a bit much. Rule of thumb is to use a wine that you would enjoy drinking. Don't use a $300 bottle of wine. Just remember that if you reduce a bad quality wine, it's bad quality will be concentrated. Use a good drinkable wine appropropriate to the dish you're making.