• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2001 Dr. Loosen “L” Reisling

GordonCooks

I had thought that this wine was supposed to be drier but maybe I have my wines mixed up.

I think this is a great example of a Qba level Riesling. But it (like the 2002 Leitz Dragonstone, ny other current under $10 German fave) does have distinct sweetness. Maybe you were thinking of the '01 Lingenfelder Bird Label? Those are kind of the big 3 of widely available Qbas, it's the driest by far.

We're currently serving this as our Riesling by-the-glass selection at Striped Bass. People really seem to like it. I find it refreshing and perfect for summertime. 082502cheers_prv.gif

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

We stock the 2002. And dry it ain't.

On the Riesling tip, I once had a similar wine with egg and bacon on a sunny Sunday morning. So refeshing, and without all the wooze of Champagne at that time.

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

How would you all compare this to the Chat. Ste Michelle/Dr. Loosen offering (Eroica)? Just curious.

I've had the 2000 Ch St Mich Colombia Valley Eroica - From memory, I'd say the fruit was better and the mineral & acid had a more "metallic zing". The "L" being a more earthy (gravel/dirt) mineral interacting with comparable acid to display a different style

How would you all compare this to the Chat. Ste Michelle/Dr. Loosen offering (Eroica)? Just curious.

While you are at it,

Did you try the Chateau Ste. Michelle-Dr. Loosen, Riesling, Eroica, Single Berry Select, 2000.?

It should be around 160$-200 $ [ and very privelaged to get a bottle ].

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

"How would you all compare this to the Chat. Ste Michelle/Dr. Loosen offering (Eroica)? Just curious.

Having had both on a regular basis, the Eroica has a bit more minerality, but the fruit is not quite as forward as the L. The L is bright and beautiful with a touch more sweetness and very nice acidity. The Eroica is a fine example of what can be done with Riesling in WA and still does not have the allure (imho) of a German Riesling.

I have never met a miserly wine lover

Did you try the Chateau Ste. Michelle-Dr. Loosen, Riesling, Eroica, Single Berry Select, 2000.?

what?? :wink:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

"when did German riesling become cool again? "

Quietly, those of us who have loved the grape have been extolling their virtues to our friends and family. Most sales seem to be of the best estates imported by a few key people. Liebfraumilch is still very dormant in the market but most fine retailers have a smattering of good quality oriented producers. They are still relative bargains and if treated properly, from a good to great vintage, can cellar well. Like the wines of the Rhone, don't tell everyone, or they could become expensive.

I have never met a miserly wine lover

While you are at it,

Lucky is right with a case production of around 100 and at least half being offered up to select local merchants/restaurants/special tastings.