• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tortilla Espagnol

For yesterday's lunch, I made this for the first time.

As you know, the "original" is potatoes, onions, & egg. I added red pepper strips & garlic.

I enjoyed it but I found it wanting.

So . . .

Does one go back to the simplicity of the "original"?

Or, might adding, say, fresh oregano make a difference in the right direction?

Comments, suggestions, etc.?

For yesterday's lunch, I made this for the first time.

As you know, the "original" is potatoes, onions, & egg.  I added red pepper strips & garlic.

I enjoyed it but I found it wanting.

So . . .

Does one go back to the simplicity of the "original"?

Or, might adding, say, fresh oregano make a difference in the right direction?

Comments, suggestions, etc.?

after cooking the potatoes and onion, did you let it cool and let the egg mix and soak in them for a good period of time at room temp, say half an hour or so?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

after cooking the potatoes and onion, did you let it cool and let the egg mix and soak in them for a good period of time at room temp, say half an hour or so?

Cooled, yes. Soaked, no. (Is that OK ["safe"] with raw eggs?)

I seem to recall that the versions I tried in Spain had garlic, but it may also be that I just naturally add garlic. What I do know for sure is that anything I tried over there had been cooked in a ton of oil and also had enough salt to scare off most North Americans. Think Jason is on the right track in suggesting a bit of a cooling off period--but not too much. You want the potato and onion to still be on the warm side.

One other thing does occur: if you first tried this in Spain, you may be doomed to disappointment here no matter what you do. Everything--the potato, egg, onion--has an intensity of flavor that you no longer find in North America.

Edited by fresco (log)
Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I happened to make this last night myself. And mine might be as "wanting" as yours-- I think of Tortilla as comfort food that reminds me of many small bars in Spain. I don't look for enlightenment in a tortilla. But I think a couple things determine the success of the tortilla:

1. Make sure the potatoes are good and soft before mixing with the eggs

2. Use plenty of salt and a high quality olive oil

3. Don't overcook-- there's supposed to be some moisture in the middle. Remember that it will keep cooking for a few minutes after you take it out of the pan. Once it's browned on both sides, another couple of flips, with just momentary cooking on each side, are all it really takes.

Yesterday I followed a Penny Casas recipe that called for the addition of red pepper and a little sauteed chorizo. I thought the chorizo added a nice twist.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

As stated earlier, the traditional Tortilla de Patata has onions, eggs, and potatoes. Some places serve it hot or cold, up to you. Sometimes they give you some mayo (in Spain most mayos has plenty of garlic, ali oli (sp))

I have been in tapas restaurants where they have plenty of versions of tortillas. From veggies. chorizo, jamon, to seafood like shrimp. Can tuna is also a popular addition. There are some places where they do "double layers". A regular tortilla, a "frosting" of can tuna and mayo, and another thin egg tortilla (no potatoes) on top. There are unlimited versions...

I cook the traditional tortillas quite often. I personally like them a little runny (sp?), but I have noticed that the Americans that have eating mine, like them on the overcook side... I still think that they are pretty tasty when well done.

I let the potato mix to cool a little bit before mixing it with the eggs as other posters mentioned. I have seen recipes that called for you to smash the potatoes and the eggs with a fork. Others just called to mix them a little bit.

They required a lot of salt and good olive oil if you want to remember Spain

Alex

Edited by AlexP (log)

BTW we already had a pretty long topic on this

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...&hl=tortilla&s=

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The ones I had in Galicia never had onions in them, only potatoes. Maybe it's a regional thing. Without onions they are too bland. You can't add enough salt to make up for that.

Nevertheless, I had them for breakfast in bars several times a week (silly American!), and was served them for lunch and dinner countless other times.

I have read they are often served with tomato sauce, but I did not encounter this.

I think that the American love of the "kitchen sink" concept goes counter to the nature of the tortilla, which is to be plain. This is why so many Americans who make tortillas add so much stuff that it's really a frittata.

I always add onion - I'm sure it is frowned on by some - but I like the sweetness it adds.

The way I cook mine is probably a little wasteful - But I like it. The trick is to cook the potatoes in a vast quantity of decent olive oil (I know you normally shouldn't - but don't let the heat get too high - more like poaching the potatoes in the oil) slowly until soft, adding the onions about halfway through. then let them cool, where they start absorbing even more oil! Then drain off any excess oil, and add the well seasoned eggs.

I prefer it at room temperature, and still moist in the middle (Which the oil helps with) but slightly browned on the top and bottom (Unlike french omelettes).

I find it's one of those dishes where you need to cook quite a large one (6-8 eggs, big pan!) - smaller ones just don't work as well, and use relatively more oil.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I always add onion - I'm sure it is frowned on by some - but I like the sweetness it adds.

The way I cook mine is probably a little wasteful - But I like it. The trick is to cook the potatoes in a vast quantity of decent olive oil (I know you normally shouldn't - but don't let the heat get too high - more like poaching the potatoes in the oil) slowly until soft, adding the onions about halfway through. then let them cool, where they start absorbing even more oil! Then drain off any excess oil, and add the well seasoned eggs.

I prefer it at room temperature, and still moist in the middle (Which the oil helps with) but slightly browned on the top and bottom (Unlike french omelettes).

I find it's one of those dishes where you need to cook quite a large one (6-8 eggs, big pan!) - smaller ones just don't work as well, and use relatively more oil.

Forget finding a restaurant in Southampton, we'll be over your house for dinner on Friday nght...please make tortilla....

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Does no one else use some saffron? Ever since we bought a huge tin of saffron ($40 for an ounce - which is a huge amount, and cheap when compared to the $5-10 per gram you pay in retail stores), I use it much more liberally than I used to.

If starting from scratch (I'll sometimes use leftover baked or boiled or smashed potatoes), here's what I do: Dice a fresh peeled potato (about 1/3 inch cubes) (if you have nice solid cooked potato, like a leftover baked potato, do the same thing, it'll just take less time to brown in the oil). Heat cooking olive oil in a skillet. Add potatoes and cook until done and just starting to brown on the outside. Scoop out potatoes and cook some diced onion in the same olive oil (actually the onions could be done first, either way it works). Allow cooked potato cubes (cook extra, you'll be picking at them, they're yummery) and onion to cool (they don't need to be drained of all oil though). Meanwhile, allow a good pinch of saffron to bloom in about 1/4 cup of warm water. Mix up 6-8 eggs (a good thing to do is measure the volume of water your skillet holds and figure out the volume of potato, onion & eggs you'll need), add saffron & water, cooled potato & onion, salt & pepper (optional ingredients include diced roasted red pepper and/or sauteed chorizo, but don't go for the 'kitchen sink'). Allow to marinate for at least 1/2 an hour. Drain most (but not all) of the olive oil from your cooking skillet and return to heat. Pour in egg mixture, reduce heat to low, scramble the egg around to start evening out the cooking, then cover skillet, make sure the heat is as low as possible and cook 5-15 minutes (depending on your stove). When the bottom is set, slide the mostly cooked omelet onto a plate. Invert the skillet over the plate and flip it so the rawer side is down. About 5 more minutes on extra-low and it is done. Transfer to plate and cool to room temp before serving. We like it on toasted slices of baguette with mayonaisse and sliced tomatoes.

Sorry for the long paragraph style recipe. Next time I make it I'll have to write everything down and formulate a real recipe. BTW - if making it with leftover potatoes, chop them up and add some olive oil to the egg mixture.

I like saffron but use it sparingly, not out of concern for cost--I can buy good quality stuff in large quantities at a reasonable price in Little India--but because it does have a very distinctive taste that can be overpowering. In Valencia, the home of paella, food dye is used a lot more often than saffron.

Well, it's not like a I use a packed teaspoon or something. Just a pinch, but I probably wouldn't in this recipe if I didn't have a decent supply.

I should add that my wife is not a huge fan of saffron and that does tend to limit any tendency I might have toward excess. :biggrin:

I fry together the potatoes, onions, a little bit of garlic in the olive oil. I do cover the frying pan while frying. Once they are cooked and cooled, I mix them with the eggs after draining the oil and let the mixture sit for a few minutes. Then I make the tortilla. I do not cover the pan while making the tortilla. I do move the pan in circles without lifting it up from the stove once in a while.

Although I have seeing recipes that call for frying the ingredients separately, I do not think it makes a significant difference in taste.

Alex