• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electric Knife Sharpeners

TheCruisco

Can anyone reccomend an Electric Knife Sharpner for my kitchen. I never learned to usee a steel and my knives are dull as can be so I fugure the next best thing would be a decent electric one. I looked them up on line but there are way to many to choose from (3 stage, 2 stage, orbital....)

Thanks in advance

Can anyone reccomend an Electric Knife Sharpner for my kitchen.  I never learned to usee a steel and my knives are dull as can be so I fugure the next best thing would be a decent electric one.  I looked them up on line but there are way to many to choose from (3 stage, 2 stage, orbital....)

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't use an electric because they tend to take a lot of steel off of the knife. I bought a Warthog V-Sharp at the Atlanta Blade Show (one of the biggest collection of knife nuts in the country) and have been using it with great success and very little effort.

More information is at http://www.knifesharpners.co.za/kits.html I am nothing but a satisfied customer (and have recommended to a few friends who are also very happy with them).

A knife sharpener and a steel are two entirely different things for different purposes. Sharpening actually takes off metal and puts a proper angle back on the knife; it may not need to be done more than once a month, depending on how much your knives are used. A steel is used for simply re-aligning the edge, and should be done every time you use the knife.

Do a search here on knife sharpeners; there are several threads with lots of information. I favor the Spyderco, because it is easy to use, is useful for other tools, scissors, fingernail clippers, potato peelers and such, and comes with an excellent video and a booklet. But stay away from electric sharpeners --- they will eat up your knives.

Edited by Richard Kilgore (log)

Do yourself a favor and get a sharpening stone. Never go near an electric sharpener. There are absolutely terrible for a knife, problem is that they are so easy and will sharpen your knife so quickly.

Once you sharpen a knife well with a stone, you won't have to use it very often, especially if you are using it at home.

Sharpening actually takes off metal and puts a proper angle back on the knife; it may not need to be done more than once a month, depending on how much your knives are used.

for most home cooks, i'd say once every 6 months.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

A small plug for Chef's Choice. I had one of the first models, which did an okay job. I remember reading all the advice given here last summer and you all almost convinced me to buy a sharpening stone. At the last minute, I decided against it. I also realized that CC had redesigned their sharpeners in the 15 years or so since I'd bought mine. I called the company to get more information, and not only did they convince me to upgrade-they gave me a rebate on my old one and shipped me their top-of-the-line one for about $80.

End of story, the new model, Edge Select 120, is night and day from my old CC. It sharpens all the way to the tang, it sharpens serrated edges (good for all that SF sourdough that gets cut in this house), it doesn't take off much metal, and best of all, it is much easier to keep the knife steady and at a consistent angle than the old models (assuming of course that you like the angle that it is set for). It is also faster; it only takes a few passes, not the six or so the old model recommends. So, for those of you that have tried one in the past, know that they have greatly improved their product over the years.

I am certain it is no substitute for a sharpening stone, but for those of us not inclined to learn how to use one, it's a nice machine and a step up from using dull knives. (I also use a steel whenever I remember.)

Now this is something I'd never heard of....a woman I work with is from Vietnam and she said they use the bottom of ceramic rice bowls to gain back a knife's edge. She said you can go into any Vietnamese home and look at the bottom of some of the older, chipped (ceramic) rice bowls (the ones they don't use anymore) and you'll see the bottom rim will be black from knives being sharpened on them. I asked her how the knive edge was used on the ceramic and the motion she showed me was almost the same as the angled motion you use when using a steel. She said if she is slicing veggies and the knife is too dull, she just takes a rice bowl and zip-zip, the knife is sharp again.

Who knew? So now I'm thinking of buying some cheap ceramic rice bowls from my local asian market to see if it works (I don't have expensive knives so I have nothing to lose).

Anyone else hear of this?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

yes. but be careful, or you'll ruin the curvature of the edge if it's a chef's knife. it's supposed to be one tangential(?) curve, but often won't be when it has been sharpened by someone who doesn't know how to.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

Marie-Louise --- I am still doubtful. One of the high-end cook shops here stopped carrying the Chef's Choice electric models last year because they still take off too much metal too easily. They recommended, and still carry, the Chef's Choice manual model for people who will not use a stone or one of the ceramic rod models such as the Spyderco.

Toliver --- ceramic pots were used in this country before stones, if I recall correctly.

Clarification please.

I have never used an electronic sharpener, but for years and with satisfaction, I use a long (steel ??) rod with a wooden handle and a small guard at the bottom of the rod above the handle to prevent the knife from slipping onto the handle while sharpening. The whole thing is about 16" to 18" long. Once I get into the proper stroking motion and angle, it works easily and quickly with my carbon steel knives.

Is what I use here being called "a steel" ??

By the way it is made by Simco USA.

I have not regularly used it on non-carbon steel, but when I do, although it does require more effort, it does work.

VivreManger --- Yes, that's a "steel". But it does not sharpen a knife, even though it will seem "sharper" after using it. A steel simply re-aligns the fine edge of the knife, because the fine edge is pushed around and slightly bent over from cutting. The steel rod is only used to straighten that edge, and should be used frequently (I use it eveytime I use a knife). A steel should have no cuts, chips or rust on it, or it will damage your knives.

A sharpening system --- whether a stone or set of ceramic rods --- actually sharpens the knife by taking off tiny bits of metal to make a consistent angle on the cutting edge. (The problem with the electric sharpeners is that it is too easy to gouge out too much metal when using them).

The problem with the electric sharpeners is that it is too easy to gouge out too much metal when using them.

A serious question: why is that a problem? I've seen this mentioned lots of times, but I don't understand what the issue is. One of my Wusthof chef's knives is 24 years old. I haven't exactly ground it down to a filet knife shape yet! The non-sharp edge is thicker than the sharp edge, but after years of using a Chef's Choice, the sharp edge is still thin, so I'm assuming that's not the concern.

I have been wondering the same thing marie-louise. I have one of the newer Chef's Choice sharpeners and was beginning to worry about the metal loss thing. Before that, I had an older model that I gave away. (Metal loss has been mentioned before on earlier threads.) Then I got to thinking... I am not running a professional kitchen. I am a home cook. I only have to sharpen my knives every few months as I keep them in shape with a steel and am fanatic about sharpness. But then, I am also fanatic about proper use and storage. So, how many years would it take for the metal loss to become a problem? You have a lot more time on your Wustoff than I have on my Henkels so I guess I was right to question that particular worry.

After that much time, I think I could justify throwing the thing out and starting over. Besides, by that time there will probably be some magical Terminator metal alloy available that I will just have to have.

Point is... I will sharpen them with the Chef's Choice. I won't with anything more laborious or requiring any more skill.

I'm going to check out the knife lesson anyway.

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

A serious question: why is that a problem? I've seen this mentioned lots of times, but I don't understand what the issue is. One of my Wusthof chef's knives is 24 years old. I haven't exactly ground it down to a filet knife shape yet! The non-sharp edge is thicker than the sharp edge, but after years of using a Chef's Choice, the sharp edge is still thin, so I'm assuming that's not the concern.

Marie-Louise, if it works for you, go for it. I'll readily admit, I'm a sharpening whacko. I have zen-like moments while sharpening my knives. It is a form of relaxation. I sometimes wonder if I abuse my knives just so I can resharpen them.

The Chef's Choice 110 is absolutely the best of the electric sharpeners. Not only does it not remove excessive amounts of metal it has, as you've discovered, a provision for a back bevel (sometimes called a relief angle).

The problem with most sharpeners, especially electric ones, is that they don't take into account the increasing width of the blade as you sharpen up the taper. Think about it for a moment. Your knives are flat ground, meaning that they taper at an angle from the spine to the edge. If you simply keep removing metal from the edge, you keep creating a thicker and thicker edge as you grind away the knife. There will be a diagram in the tutorial on Wednesday that makes this a lot easier to picture, but that's the general idea.

The Chef's Choice is really the only model that takes that into account and has a back bevel provision.

Chad

Edited by Chad (log)

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Marie-Louise --- Looks like I need to clarify. It is not that I doubt your ability over the years to use an electric sharpener without damaging your knives, or for Fifi to do so now. It's that the good thing is they are fast...and the bad thing is they are fast. And, as Chad pointed out, you can take off too much metal quickly if you are not paying attention to what you are doing. That's why the cookshop here stopped carrying them; too many people were coming back complaining of ruined knives.

I think the only time consuming thing about sharpening knives properly with any method, is taking the time to learn enough about cutlery and sharpening processes to do it well, and then a little practice. Chad's tutorial should provide more than enough information, and I am looking forward to it.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together, Chad.

• 2 months later...
Can anyone reccomend an Electric Knife Sharpner for my kitchen.  I never learned to usee a steel and my knives are dull as can be so I fugure the next best thing would be a decent electric one.  I looked them up on line but there are way to many to choose from (3 stage, 2 stage, orbital....)

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't use an electric because they tend to take a lot of steel off of the knife. I bought a Warthog V-Sharp at the Atlanta Blade Show (one of the biggest collection of knife nuts in the country) and have been using it with great success and very little effort.

More information is at http://www.knifesharpners.co.za/kits.html I am nothing but a satisfied customer (and have recommended to a few friends who are also very happy with them).

actually i am the US distributor for the Warthog V-Sharp and here is the US website that you can order directly from Warthog Knife Sharpener my contact phone number is on there also, if you would just like to call me. Thanks and i look forward to hearing from you soon.

• 1 year later...

My husband thinks I need to get one of those electric knife sharpener contraptions to sharpen my kitchen knives. On a cooking show segment once, they had a knife person on there and he thought that those sharpeners didn't work properly and cannot replace the old fashioned method of using a stone. However, I guess we don't get around to using the stone very often, either! :hmmm:

So, I'm wondering what experience others have with using these things and whether they actually work or not... or if it would end up being another gadget stuck in my drawer! Thanks for your help!

I had a chefs choice but as I got better knives, I went to an edge pro system. Girlfriend loves the chefs choice.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

If you're married to the idea of an electric knife sharpener, I would recommend the Chef's Choice 120. I have had the opportunity to use this and it does a fairly good job as far as electric knife sharpeners go, but using this electric sharpener still requires time, patience, and a degree of practice.

If you do have the time though, or if someone in your household likes working with their hands, nothing can hold a candle to a knife that has been hand shapened on stones. The edge you can get (after hours of practice on some cheaper knives) will be far superior to that of an electric sharpener.

If this is not an option, you may wish to find out if anyone knows of a good professional knife sharpening service in your area. Having work done by knowlegeable professional (don't go to mall knife shops) can sharpen your knife and help prolong the life of your cutlery at a reasonable cost.

In a nutshell, if you want a good sharp knife that can get the job done, the Chef's Choice is not a bad way to go.

If you want a razor sharp knife that can make incredibly clean cuts with minimal effort, get it professionally done or practice on sharpening stones (it's really worth the time and effort if you love your cutlery).

PS: Regular maintenance on your knives is like maintaining your car, you wouldn't let your car go 100k miles before servicing or else the amount of work and cost would be insane. Cooking gear (knives) deserve the same kind of maintenance, and by doing so, they will reward you with years of good service. So to answer your question about taking up space in the drawer, if you keep your knives on a regular maintenance schedule, your sharpener (what ever you finally choose) will see LOTS of use :smile:

Edited by dougery (log)

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

• 3 years later...

I was at Tuesday Morning over the weekend and noticed, on the clearance rack, a number of new-in-box Waring Pro electric knife-sharpening machines (Model KS80). These were marked as $160 retail (though the street price is more like $100). The sale price at Tuesday Morning was $50, and the clearance price was $40. In addition, we had coupons for 50% off any clearance item, making the final price $20.

I have long been skeptical of electric knife-sharpening systems but, given that I was faced with the prospect of acquiring what seemed like a pretty nice one at a price essentially tantamount to free, I felt compelled to buy it even if it just meant testing it on a crummy knife and posting about my results.

The unit is brushed stainless and black. It is a three-stage sharpening system. There's a coarse wheel, a fine wheel and a stropping wheel that is somehow geared to turn in the opposite direction of the other two wheels (the packaging touts this as a great benefit). There are two plastic guides for each wheel that maintain the preferred angles for the left and right sides of the blade.

You turn on the machine, place the knife in one of the guides and pull it slowly along the length of the knife, tilting slightly upward as you get to the curve of the tip. (The instruction manual recommends the number of seconds for different size knives). You do this with coarse left and right twice, fine left and right twice and stropping wheel left and right twice. More repetitions may be necessary on stubborn knives, the instructions say. The whole process takes about 30 seconds. Subsequent sharpenings are supposed to need only the fine and stropping stages. The coarse is basically to establish the edge and angles that this machine uses, and to rejuvenate knives that have become very dull.

For my first experiment I chose a decent but underutilized knife, a Sabatier 8" chef's knife from Thiers-Issard. Not a fancy knife -- this is surely a stamped knife and was not expensive -- but one that does good work and hadn't been sharpened in a while. I was absolutely astounded with the results. In just a few seconds, with little effort and less skill, I got better results than I get with a stone. A very sharp, smooth edge -- at least by the standards of an amateur sharpener like me. Was it a samurai sword? No. Did it come out as sharp as if Chad Ward had sharpened it, or that guy at Korin, or even the average Edge Pro aficionado? Not likely. But it cut an onion like nobody's business.

I was so pleased with the results, and so pleasantly surprised, that I felt compelled to try it on some better knives. So I took my workhorse 10" Wusthof chef's knife and my Wusthof bird's beak paring knife and ran them through the system. I think the edge on the better knives came out even better. The stropping stage really seems to contribute a lot, in particular.

The device is not perfect. On the big-ass chef's knife there's about 1/2" of knife right near the bolster that the machine can't reach. I don't actually cut anything with that part of the blade, however over time I expect the electric sharpener will create a weird blade shape. Not that I get very good results down at that end of the knife when sharpening by hand on a stone either. In addition, needless to say, the powerful spinning stones on the electric sharpener take more metal off the blade than hand sharpening does. Still, it's not a terribly significant amount -- especially when you're only talking about the fine wheel and the stropping wheel (you only have to use the coarse wheel once ever per knife, assuming you keep it sharp thereafter). Those two issues come down to a question of the desired longevity of your knife. I like the romantic notion of owning a knife for 50 years but I'm happy to replace $100 knives (which are the most expensive knives I own) every, say, 10 or 15 or 20 years. No problem.

I also think, when purchasing knives in the future, I'll gravitate towards ones without a bolster.

I assume this machine does not have the right angles for Asian-style knife edges, but I know less than nothing about that.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)