• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Capturing someone else's voice

Michael, thank you for coming to eGullet and sharing your knowledge. I've enjoyed all of your books so far and look forward to more!

In your books with Thomas Keller and Eric Ripert, you were able to capture the chef's voice and make it sound like the chef did all the actual writing. What techniques do you use to keep your own voice from intruding? Do you analyze the chef's speech patterns and go from there? Or does it just come naturally from working so closely with the chef?

Edited by ChocoKitty (log)

Keep my own voice from intruding? It intruded constantly. The trick was making the intrusions invisible. With Keller, I think I just got lucky. I understand exactly what he means to say. ripert is a little different, very smart very articulate (in his third language btw), and I don't think in his voice, but now that you made me think about it, it's a form of mimicry. some people are good at mimicking peoples voices aloud, I think I've learned (through too many interviews of other people) to mimic people on the page. You've got to hang out awhile. I take a lot of notes and I record some conversations.