• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Budweiser Budvar

ctgm

Even if A-B did buy it, they'd be insane to close it. Sell it under another name, as much of a shame as even THAT concession would be. Or position it as a Premium Budweiser, call it "Budweiser Gold" or something like that.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 1 month later...

I heard that anheuser did try to stop budvar from selling, but when it went to court for the injunction, budvar cited the fact that they have been brewing the beer for nearly a thousand years, and it was anheuser who stole the recipe from them in the first place.

coupled with the fact that they brew it with water from the town of budvar, so in czech you get the name budweiser (shortened from budvar weiser)

naturally, the case went away...

maybe anheuser will buy budvar though...if they can't beat em, buy em!

I believe the Czech Budweiser is currently available in the US under the Czechvar label, if I'm not mistaken. You'd have a hard time selling me on the fact the A-B stole their recipe. I've tasted both beers. :laugh: It can just be the water.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Budvar sold here as Czechvar isn't - unfortunately - nearly so wonderful as that sold in Europe and not close to Budvar on tap in Czech Republic. It's quite a delicate beer that doesn't travel well or take to pasteurization. Someone earlier in the thread couldn't believe the only difference between Budvar and Budweiser was the water & it isn't...the malt used in Czech Republic is quite different and is undermodified compared to what Budweiser uses; in addition, Budvar is all malt and Budweiser uses rice and perhaps other adjuncts. The hops are also different and so is the brewing process, with Budvar doing a decoction mash owing to the undermodified malt.

I heard that anheuser did try to stop budvar from selling, but when it went to court for the injunction, budvar cited the fact that they have been brewing the beer for nearly a thousand years, and it was anheuser who stole the recipe from them in the first place.

coupled with the fact that they brew it with water from the town of budvar, so in czech you get the name budweiser (shortened from budvar weiser)

naturally, the case went away...

maybe anheuser will buy budvar though...if they can't beat em, buy em!

Actually the beer is from a town called "ceske budejovice" but the germans call it budweis

• 7 months later...