• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Viet Wah Superfoods - Seattle

My wife and I were ending our NW odyssey and on the way to SEA-Tac when we spied Viet Wah Superfoods at 6040 Martin Luther King Way South.

What a find, they have incredible BBQ duck and chicken (we preferred the duck, but we always do), many dishes that are prepared as you watch in big woks at the back of the kitchen. We tried 4 things and our bill for two was under $15. Very good and worth a look.

I took a brief walk through the store after our meal and it appeared to be a good, cheap source for Asian grocery items.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

I ordered some take out salt and pepper shrimp from Viet Wah Superfoods on MLK Way a couple of months that were just awful. Hopefully it was just an off day, but they tasted like they were serving expired shrimps, as well as kind of mushy, too. I really want to like Viet Wah Superfoods, too, as I am a customer of their Jackson St. location. The MLK Way location is much cleaner, larger and spiffier though, I think.

Sweet Willie, thanks for posting about the duck & chicken, and I'm going to try their duck the next time. I'm a sucker for bbq duck.

I ordered some take out salt and pepper shrimp from Viet Wah Superfoods on MLK Way a couple of months that were just awful.  Hopefully it was just an off day, but they tasted like they were serving expired shrimps, as well as kind of mushy, too.

mushy shrimp, very few things burn me more. :angry:

I have always thought that squid is a far superior seafood in the salt/pepper dish than shrimp. If you like squid I would suggest trying it instead of shrimp.

Our time at Viet Wah was a one time on the way out of town, I hope ours was not the one time positive fluke.

Viet Wah, on the Jackson Steet location, is the Grand Dame of Seattle's, Vietmanese Chinese Markets, the new location on MLK. hasn't settled in yet, in my opinion, as the are trying hard to do to many thing's. Ironically they chose to open close to Seattle largest Orthrodox Jewish area. There are many other Vietmanese Delicatessens, Pho Restaurant's, Oriental Markets that have better prices and selections available in the International District or even Kent, with the Great Wall Shopping Center. Where they've opened on MLK they stand out like a welcome beacon in the area. I wish them well.

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

There are many other Vietmanese Delicatessens, Pho Restaurant's, Oriental Markets that have better prices and selections available in the International District or even Kent, with the Great Wall Shopping Center.

For my next visit to SEA, it would be appreciated if you had addresses or intersections so that non-SEA people (like myself) could find these places.

Thanks.

I ordered some take out salt and pepper shrimp from Viet Wah Superfoods on MLK Way a couple of months that were just awful.

I like shrimp, but as a rule i never order them at any traditional vietnamese restuarant. I just find that they are consistently "fishy"... even in my mother-in-law's cooking. :smile: I just chalk it up to my american palate.