• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calgary Recommendations

merlin

I'm here from calgary....I have a small restaurant and like to check out things that people talk about.

Calgary is great for dinning out and it's only getting better. Sadly since I'm behind a stove 12 hours a day - I don't get to eat out that much.

I did manage to find time to dine at Rouge a few weeks ago and it was great. Paul's food is clear and focused.

A few months ago I checked out the new Chef at Belvedere and his menu is perfect match for the room. His twist on escargot was great with a smoked tomato broth, chorizio and croutons.

Teatro's renovations look great and I'll have to check out Dominque's new rotisserie and menu.

jason.

Thanks Daddy A for asking re: Jason's place - wasn't sure if I should being new to the posts and all - can't wait to find out!

Visited Alexis Bistro new spot in the suburbs of Altadore strangely located in a strip mall on first impression I wasn’t so sure.

However, once through the doors I could tell I was in for a treat – it was purring nicely - plenty full and good jazz playing.

Behind the bar was owner/manager Brett Johnson (formerly of Muse). Our waiter was Lon Parker.

Starter was a salad – warmed mix greens – toasted pine nuts and roasted red peppers – served with bread basket and selection of both sun dried-tomato and pesto butter.

Enjoyed with a Pinot Gris - VERY generous pour

Main course for myself was grouper – with a basil crust - served on a bed of sundried tomato risotto and topped off with warm greens – surrounding the plate was a fabulous selection of grilled baby eggplant – shallots – baby carrots – again outstanding – fish was “just cooked “ still moist – each fillet broke away with a breeze of my fork. Overall a plentiful plate which left me quite full – Another glass of Pinot Gris accompanied it. – Once again generous.

My better half had the salmon – served on a bed of pesto mashed potatoes along with the same vegetables as described above he didn’t say much of anything – beyond “umm nice” which means he really enjoyed it – (not the prolific type).... I had such a generous serving I couldn’t try his.

I frequently dine alone and am extra delighted when I find a place that I would feel comfortable doing so in. Alexis has sincere well-executed service, generous portion/pour – and sexy presentation – it’s a hit – just get there.

Alexis Bistro & Lounge

4824 16 St. SWCalgary Ph: 403.214.3616

Dinah Sarah:

Thanks for the review. The grouper in particular sounds delicious especially having been cooked the way you describe it, flakey and moist. I don't know Brett Johnson but certainly have enjoyed Muse.

On visits to Calgary I usually do not get further afield than the downtown core apart from the occasional taxi to the "Red Mile" area and The Living Room, Brava Bistro and the like.

Really enjoy Divino especially if visiting alone and want to chat with folks like Brian behind the bar who enjoy their food, wine and cheese like I do.

Have you tried Tribune? It was just about to open when I visited in October but have not been back since.

Muse kitchen is headed by Cam Dobranski. Very talented young chef, ex- of Hardware Grill (Edmonton). Cooked in Switzerland for a year and brings some of that continental polish to a great, funky room.

His former sous, Paul (can't quite remember his last name) is opening up a place with Ritchie Breen (ex- of Teatro) in or near the Holiday Inn just off 1st & 12th SW. I'm excited to see this place go off. Paul's got just the right mix of experience, creativity and emotional instability to become an amazing head chef.

Ned Bell is apparently putting together a new spot on the red mile. With Vintage hitting its stride as a chophouse and hosting Brangelina private parties, the money should be plentiful enough to do some really cool things at a good price point. Showed his polish and potential with small(er) plates at Lumiere's 10th anniversary guest appearance. My guess is that it's going to fill that good plates for $20 void that seems to exist in Calgary.

Mike Joseph and the Penny Lane guys are opening Belgo, a new Belgian-themed restaurant/bar unrelated to-, but likely modeled after the eponymous joints in London. They've been diligently doing their research but expect more pretty Stellas and big Ho(e)'s than Flemish red ales.

Happy to see the mayor of Capitol Hill, Jimmy from A&A foods, moving downtown to bring the people what they really (should) want. Haven't been to his new spot yet, but I'd sell my 1969 Lincoln to subsidize an A&A foods (Vancouver division). Place has amazing Shwarmas and even better banter.

As for the food at the Saddledome (as this is a regional, food forum), like the food at Edmonton's Rexall Place or Vancouver's GM place, the burger tastes pretty much the same whether or not the Canucks lose in regulation, OT or a shootout.

Happy Holidays!

Quentin Kayne

Mike Joseph and the Penny Lane guys are opening Belgo, a new Belgian-themed restaurant/bar unrelated to-, but likely modeled after the eponymous joints in London. They've been diligently doing their research but expect more pretty Stellas and big Ho(e)'s than Flemish red ales.

Former Exec Chef of The Palliser, Shaun Desaulniers to head up the kitchen brigade

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef

Got to admit I was feeling very lonely here the past many months. It was very rare to see another posting from someone in (or near) Calgary. Perhaps I won't be so shy now there are a few more folks kicking around.

Haven't had much time to dine out lately with all the family obligations but did manage a wood fired pizza at the Italian Supermarket (4th St and 20th Ave NE) last weekend. I'm always happy with their pizza margarita.

Prior to this it was old school steak at Ceasar's for a business dinner the week before. I don't eat much beef these days (mostly buffalo, elk, lamb or ostrich for a red meat fix) but they do a phenomenal ribeye there. I had it medium rare with peppercorn crust and a twice baked potato. The only disappointment was the rest of the crew didn't drink wine... I would have really enjoyed a nice Syrah or Zweigelt with that steak.

Next weekend it's NYE dinner at Truffle Pigs in Field, BC. I can't wait, I just wish they'd call to tell me what's on the menu... the anticipation is killing me.

Vanderb (ever hungry)

Amateur with dreams of grandeur

Got to admit I was feeling very lonely here the past many months.  It was very rare to see another posting from someone in (or near) Calgary.  Perhaps I won't be so shy now there are a few more folks kicking around.

Haven't had much time to dine out lately with all the family obligations but did manage a wood fired pizza at the Italian Supermarket (4th St and 20th Ave NE) last weekend.  I'm always happy with their pizza margarita.

Prior to this it was old school steak at Ceasar's for a business dinner the week before.  I don't eat much beef these days (mostly buffalo, elk, lamb or ostrich for a red meat fix) but they do a phenomenal ribeye there.  I had it medium rare with peppercorn crust and a twice baked potato.  The only disappointment was the rest of the crew didn't drink wine... I would have really enjoyed a nice Syrah or Zweigelt with that steak.

Next weekend it's NYE dinner at Truffle Pigs in Field, BC.   I can't wait, I just wish they'd call to tell me what's on the menu... the anticipation is killing me.

vanderb - nice to hear you enjoy the Italian Supermarket, I have purchased many grocery items from there but haven't tried their pizza will give it a go, I believe they had an anchoivy pizza - that's my speed!.... Have you tried the Italian Store at McKnight - behind Westjet.... their prices are much better being in the east - although their dinning area is hit and miss..Lina's and Mercato on 4th are way off on pricing WTH is that... have you been?

Let me know about your NYE menu - we like to get away for a weekend - nice to hear more about the place...

Edited by Dinah Sarah (log)

Dinah Sarah:

Thanks for the review.  The grouper in particular sounds delicious especially having been cooked the way you describe it, flakey and moist.  I don't know Brett Johnson but certainly have enjoyed Muse.

On visits to Calgary I usually do not get further afield than the downtown core apart from the occasional taxi to the "Red Mile" area and The Living Room, Brava Bistro and the like.

Really enjoy Divino especially if visiting alone and want to chat with folks like Brian behind the bar who enjoy their food, wine and cheese like I do.

Have you tried Tribune?  It was just about to open when I visited in October but have not been back since.

Tried Tribune the 1st week they opened - was impressed with the service from front desk/coat check and server - the room has brick walls/leather booths warm and classy - enjoyed the wine list - the kitchen hadn't hit their stride yet so would like to give them another chance before commenting on the food

Thanks Daddy-A but I'm not new to E-gullet. For some reason my account was deleted and now I'm a newbie again. Damn.

I don't want to say which restaurant I own because I'm hoping somebody might either trash me / or praise me. But my restaurant is new to the scene and I'm still playing with the food/service/everything else and I don't really have a huge regular customer base so I'm keeping quiet!

I'm going to Tribune this week so I'll post my thoughts on that place.

I do know Paul and Ritchie...their new restaurant is going to be called St. Germain and it's in the new Arts Centre hotel. Actually it's beside it in the old Mountain Jacks restaurant which was part of the old Holiday Inn. Old school French cuisine not unlike Tribune....or so I've heard.

Muse kitchen is headed by Cam Dobranski. Very talented young chef, ex- of Hardware Grill (Edmonton....

His former sous, Paul (can't quite remember his last name) is opening up a place with Ritchie Breen (ex- of Teatro) Paul's got just the right mix of experience, creativity and emotional instability to become an amazing head chef...

So that is where Cam went.

Too funny, missed the "emotional instability" comment during my first read through.

Cheers "Q"

Quote-

vanderb - nice to hear you enjoy the Italian Supermarket, I have purchased many grocery items from there but haven't tried their pizza will give it a go, I believe they had an anchoivy pizza - that's my speed!.... Have you tried the Italian Store at McKnight - behind Westjet.... their prices are much better being in the east - although their dinning area is hit and miss..Lina's and Mercato on 4th are way off on pricing WTH is that... have you been?

Let me know about your NYE menu - we like to get away for a weekend - nice to hear more about the place...

End Quote -

Dinah Sarah, the Italian Supermarket (IS) only does the pizzas on Saturdays from 11am - 2 or 3pm and it gets busy... but they are certainly are worth it. The Italian store on McKnight is Scarpone's if I'm not mistaken and I haven't been in quite a while as I don't live in the area. I go to Lina's every now and again but mostly if I want bread or something particular from their deli case (as it's more extensive than IS). Lina's does have the best selection of Italian breads around, IS can't compare. I haven't been to Mercato yet because all the reviews I've heard have not been good. Everyone I've spoken to said their grocery prices were ridiculous and this has kept me away. Lina's prices are also quite high and is why I really only go for very specific items.

If you want more info on Truffle Pigs let me know NYE is not our first visit (by a long shot) nor our first NYE dinner there. I'm somewhat devoted to the place having spent some of the best meals/evenings of my life up there.

Vanderb (ever hungry)

Quote-

End Quote -

Dinah Sarah, the Italian Supermarket (IS) only does the pizzas on Saturdays from 11am - 2 or 3pm and it gets busy... but they are certainly are worth it.  The Italian store on McKnight is Scarpone's if  I'm not mistaken and I haven't been in quite a while as I don't live in the area.  I go to Lina's every now and again but mostly if I want bread or something particular from their deli case (as it's more extensive than IS).  Lina's does have the best selection of Italian breads around, IS can't compare.  I haven't been to Mercato yet because all the reviews I've heard have not been good.  Everyone I've spoken to said their grocery prices were ridiculous and this has kept me away.  Lina's prices are also quite high and is why I really only go for very specific items.

If you want more info on Truffle Pigs let me know NYE is not our first visit (by a long shot) nor our first NYE dinner there.  I'm somewhat devoted to the place having spent some of the best meals/evenings of my life up there.

Vanderb -

Please do tell more about Truffle Pigs! - i'm very curious now....

Field is about 3 hours drive? -

:unsure:

Truffle Pigs ---

Field is located about 15 minutes west of Lake Louise, so not quite 3 hours from Calgary but it really depends on how you drive.

Truffle Pigs is a great little bistro that is also the town grocery store and liquor store. They have about 8 tables with an extra 5 on the patio during the summer. It's hard to describe the menu, some of it is asian fusion, but some is Canadian regional and then they have a little continental depending on the chef's feeling of the day/week/month. What I can attest to is their quality in sourcing ingredients (no small feat in Kickinghorse Pass), preparing those ingredients, presenting same ingredients and then serving them. I have not been disappointed with a meal/experience there at any time. If you are vegetarian you would be happy to know they do prepare fully veggie meals that include veggie stocks and sauces. It really is the attention to detail by a highly skilled and dedicated staff that makes this place so darn good. I seem to be going on ad nauseum... I'll cut it short... and honestly I don't work there or have a stake in the place .

I had a phone call last night from Truffle Pigs to let me know dinner is at 6:30pm on the 31st, starting with a champagne and fondue reception. They apologized for the early start time but explained the number of courses for the evening necessitated the early start. Needless to say I did not complain. :biggrin:

Vanderb (ever hungry)

Thanks for the info on Truffle Pigs - will have to check it out sometime soon -

sounds perfect for a weekend trip..I'm sure you will have a great time..

Please fill us in with the details of the menu/evening when you get back.

champagne with cheese fondue.. yum! might be a good idea for my NYE (at home)

Just out of curiosity does anyone watching this thread know what's going into the old Strombolis location in Kensington (Calgary)? I had heard the last new owner was arrested for cocaine trafficing and that the original Stombolis owners had bought it back. The renos are intense, they have completely gutted the place and are starting from scratch (at least on the main floor that I can see when walking by). Still no idea of what will be going in though... it would be great to have an affordable Italian joint in the hood again. I love Osteria de Medici but every day affordable it is not. :shock:

Vanderb (ever hungry)

Just out of curiosity does anyone watching this thread know what's going into the old Strombolis location in Kensington (Calgary)?  I had heard the last new owner was arrested for cocaine trafficing and that the original Stombolis owners had bought it back.  The renos are intense, they have completely gutted the place and are starting from scratch (at least on the main floor that I can see when walking by).  Still no idea of what will be going in though... it would be great to have an affordable Italian joint in the hood again.  I love Osteria de Medici but every day affordable it is not.  :shock:

Pretty much of what I heard also, they seem to be taking quite sometime in fixing up the place - it became somewhat rundown - Strombolis had a rosemary and potato pizza that was carb heaven...

I like Il Chianti (20th & Edmonton Trail ) (not in the hood unfortunately ) beside the Italian Supermarket - family run and fair pricing - if your looking for affordable Italian (pastas) - They have an anchoivy black olive bruschetta - that's a perfect starter with a glass of white wine -

(be aware their pastas are served just el-dente) might want to check if you like yours less so

Speaking of the Kensington area - anyone tried the Merle's Deli place that opened up in the Charlie's Bakery, Janice Beaton Fine Cheese - Kensington Wine corner ? I was by there today and it was packed.

Cheers,

Dinah Sarah, thanks for the info on the old Strombolis, sounds promising. I haven't been to Merle's yet, with the holiday season I just haven't had time but it is on my list. It will be hard to compare to Alberta King of Subs Montreal Smoked meat which is absolutely the best I've had west of Montreal.

Now for NYE dinner at Truffle Pigs, you'll have to excuse my lack of forethought in not bringing a pen and paper to write down all the details... I've got most of it but a few of the wine pairings have eluded me. Not that they weren't great I was just so focused on trying to remember the food I didn't have brain power left for the wine. BTW all the wines served NYE were BC wines, which made me very happy especially the 2002 Black Hills Nota Bene.

- Fondue and homemade pate with a Bellini

- Shrimp Bisque w/ vietnamese style spring roll w/ Okanagan Pinot Gris

- Thin sliced muscovy duck salad with Quebecois Chevre Noir and Arugula w/ Kettle Valley Pinot Noir

- Large fresh water prawn and scallop on a bed of fresh mixed veggie slaw w/ Okanagan Gewürztraminer

- Lychee and rosemary glace w/ Molson Canadian *explanation below

- Rare lamb tournedos w/ yam fritter and black BC wild rice w/ Black Hills Nota Bene

- "strawberry short cake" in a champagne glass w/ Mt Boucherie Riesling Ice wine

Dinner was exceptional and I've only listed my selections from the nights menu, no way I could have committed the SO's selections as they were totally different. The real highlights for me were the duck salad, the duck was cut super thin and then fried like strips of bacon, and the lamb entree but that had more to do with the Nota Bene. The lamb was excellent and the black wild rice a great accompaniment based on the texture. The Nota Bene really went well with this and satisfied all of my taste buds' requirements. I would really like to get my hands on a few bottles of the Nota Bene but every time we're out in Oliver they are sold out :sad:

* Explanation for the Molson Canadian - as a mid evening rest from all the food our hosts had us sing Bob and Doug Mackenzie's 12 days of Christmas, the Molson was the perfect pairing... too bad they didn't have stubbies.

Overall the evening was outstanding, there were 30 of us in attendance mostly local Fieldites but a few from out of town, including a couple from the UK who were staying at Emerald Lake lodge but ate every meal (I mean every) at Truffle Pigs during their stay. There was a local musician with his acoustic guitar to keep us entertained and the food just kept coming. We rolled out about 15 minutes after midnight (started at 6:30pm) and joined many locals in a walk around town to try and work off the early courses.

Once again a marvelous meal at Truffle Pigs, we'll be back... if possible for NYE next year too. :biggrin:

Vanderb (ever hungry)

Sounds like a terrific time was had. Nice that they served BC wines - that would have gotten big points from me also.

Have heard fab things about Black Hills Nota Bene, however same experience as you - no go in (3) trips! Wonder if we can do something over the internet? (interested) does anyone in Calgary carry that baby...

How was the Mt Boucherie Riesling Ice wine - I adore ice wines with dessert -

it's so decadent - the strawberry shortcake in a champagne glass - was it a poundcake or spongecake? sounds like a nice presentation.

I will have to make it up to Emerald Lodge and Truffle Pigs sometime soon - have checked out their website and I could easily eat every meal there myself.

Thanks for the update - no worries on the pen, if it were me I would not have been able to read my own damn writing after the first bellini!

Cheers and here's to a New Year of discovering wonderful eats in Calgary.

Dinah, check the Wine Cellar on the Stephen Ave mall, we scored a whole case of Burrowing Owl Merlot when we were there in Nov. ( rare to see a whole case in BC) The didn't have any of the Black Hills when we were there (had a bottle the night before at Muse and were trying to pick one up for home) but I bet they could get a case in when it becomes available (May?).

Colin

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef

Dinah Sarah, it was a pound cake in the strawberry short cake. It was very good and this coming from someone who does not normally partake of desert. The Reisling icewine was quite good, but I am not the best to judge as sweet wines are not something I normally enjoy.

Vanderb (ever hungry)

I think the allocations for Alberta are pretty slim for the Nota Bene.

I have occasionally seen a few bottles in a couple of wine stores here in Edmonton and if that is the case I expect that the same would hold true for Calgary: the aforementioned Cellar, Kensington's shop and J. Webb spring to mind...

Your best bet is to sign up for the newsletter from Black Hills and buy at the case lot when the Nota Bena and later, their Alibi are released as otherwise you will be out of luck. Their late harvest Sequentia is not too bad either although I am not a big fan of "stickies".