• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chopping chocolate

stllc

As a home baker, I occasionally have to chop up chocolate bars to make chocolate chips, chunks, and dice small enough to melt eaily in hot pie fillings.

I found out that my food processor isn't much help. It just rounds off the corners of the pieces as they bounce off the blades.

I usually get out my chef's knife and just start trimming off corners until I work my way through the whole thing.

Any tips, hints, or tricks for making this job easier?

Edited by jgm (log)

I use a junk chef's knife that has a fine serrated edge. Picked it up for $1 at a garage sale but I have seen them in dollar stores and such. They are utterly useless as real knives but seem to cut through chocolate reasonably well.

I know there are also specialized tools for chopping chocolate and I am sure someone else will soon offer better suggestions. But I doubt that chopping chocolate will go very high on your favourite list of things to do!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yep. I have a couple serrated 14 inch chefs knifes for the job. The ones I have came from the restaurant supply store with a white plastic handle in the 4-6 dollar range.

If you use those flexible cutting boards, which we do when working with chocolate as it is easier to transfer the shards, use two at a time or put a flexible one on top of a regular cutting board otherwise your counter could be full if little pin holes from the serrations.

Patrick

Patrick Sikes

www.MyChocolateJournal.com

A new chocolate review community

PS I Love You Fine Chocolates