• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Olfactory foods

fresco

Yes. The smell of gohan cooking is one of my favourites.

As well as bacon, steak, onions and garlic etc etc etc

But the fragrance of rice is just so...

Starchy?

Noise is music. All else is food.

Starchy?

Starchy, steamy, sweet, mellow...

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Starchy?

Starchy, steamy, sweet, mellow...

Clean, almost.

I always thought it smelled a little bit like line-dried laundry. Warm.

Yep, I was right: that sounds crazy.

But I know what you mean, Nero.

Not just clean, but cleansing.

Smells like a hot shower feels...

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Clean, almost.

I always thought it smelled a little bit like line-dried laundry. Warm.

That's exactly what cooking rice smells like to me. Clean, like a breeze blowing good things my way.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

just-toasted cumin seed....

Jim

Toasting sesame seeds to make gamasio.

Edit: Actually it's when you grind the sesame seeds in the siribachi with the sea salt that the aroma comes out.

Edited by Nick (log)

But I know what you mean, Nero.

Not just clean, but cleansing.

Smells like a hot shower feels...

It does!

One thing eGullet does for me is make me feel like "hey, maybe I'm *not* as wack as I think I am!"

Sometimes.

We didn't have the option of not cooking it, but pretty much any form of moose smells horrible while cooking.

I microwaved some sort of leftover cod (from dinner, not a frozen meal) at work for lunch once and my coworkers gave me grief for weeks.

The absolute worst-smelling thing on earth is asafoetida (part of its etymology is Latin for "stinking," and it is related to the word "fetid"), a giant fennel that has an odor so repulsive and vomitous that I had to put the baggie containing it inside two glass jars (one inside the other), and put it in my garage fifteen feet outside the kitchen. Even then, I could smell it every time I walked into the garage. I am not making that up. I bought it for an Indian recipe, and I should have just buried it with a stake through its heart.

Tied for "second worst-smelling thing," to my nostrils, are liver and lamb. They smell not only dead, but rotting.

Gorgeous aromas?

Vanilla beans in crème brûlée

Meyer lemon zest

Pork tenderloin with a rosemary/cherry (or plum, or cranberry) reduction

Peach cobbler

Tip: After baking a really rank piece of defrosted salmon, in order to deodorize the house, because it's the middle of winter and all the windows are shut, DO NOT microwave a bag of Orville Reddenbacher's "Butter Lovers'" popcorn. An olfactory synergy of unbearable proportions will result. My parents once did this about ten minutes before we had company over.

Hehh. Butter Lovers.

We didn't have the option of not cooking it, but pretty much any form of moose smells horrible while cooking.

Egad. So sorry.

I find it tastes pretty much like it smells.

Best: pulled pork (okay, its not really cooked in the kitchen, but those first few minutes after you bring it inside to 'rest' are pure olfactory heaven.

Also, meats that have been pan-seared, and then finished in the oven.

Worst: I have been forbidden by my husband to make kimchee at home, due to his experience of spending time at a Korean friend's house, whose Mother made kimchee all the time. There was something about opening the fridge in the middle of summer to get a cola, and being greeted with the ripening scent of kimchee...

:sad: I love kimchee.

Absolute best for me is roasting turkey. Once I catered a Thanksgiving dinner twenty miles away and the smell of the turkey emanating from the trunk of the car drove me wild.

Worst is roasting garlic. It makes me sick, although cooking one or two cloves doesn't bother me.

Absolute worst would be cilantro, except I don't allow it in my kitchen.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Best smells: coffee (I'm a big coffee fan, but I've always thought it smelled better than it tasted) and vanilla. Mmmmm, vanilla.

Worst, worst, worst: guava. When I lived in Jerusalem I simply couldn't go to the market around September, when guavas were in season (and it was an open-air market!). Nauseating.

Tip:  After baking a really rank piece of defrosted salmon, in order to deodorize the house, because it's the middle of winter and all the windows are shut, DO NOT microwave a bag of Orville Reddenbacher's "Butter Lovers'" popcorn.  An olfactory synergy of unbearable proportions will result.  My parents once did this about ten minutes before we had company over.

Hehh.  Butter Lovers.

:laugh::laugh:

I hate microwaved popcorn smell period. My ex-stepbrother used to eat so much of it that the microwave stunk permanently of that fake rubbery-butter.

ruthcooks . . . you *don't* like roasted garlic smell?

:huh:

loves - garlic and onion sauteeing in fat, baking bread, roasting meat

hates - asofetida, fish sauce, that minute or two where meat goes from "rotting" to cooking when cooking it on the stove top. oh and crawfish. ook.

Like: roasting chicken or turkey, garlic, peanut butter, chocolate. Pumpkin pie, cinnamon. :wub:

dislike: cooked calf's liver, burned carbohydrate (burned popcorn, burned toast, etc.) , after-odor in the microwave after doing the popcorn (which smells bad too). Fish. (May I just add, certain cat food flavors REEK too :blink: . The smellier the food, the more cats seem to go for it, though).