• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bloody Mary Cocktails

beans

No No NO! to the horseradish uuuuurrrgggghhhh :wacko: Although chilli infused sherry is good - just a splash mind, vodka, tomato juice, celery salt and lots of it, worcestershire sauce, tabasco and half a lime. Shaken over ice and served with celery stick, but definitely NO HORSERADISH!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

A bloody mary with horseradish is like a glass of cocktail sauce. Ick. My bloody mary: in a double old fashioned or similar glass, pour two ounces of gin, the juice of half a lemon, a good glug of Worcestershire sauce, about seven shakes of the Tabasco bottle, a couple of shakes of the salt shaker, a few twists of the pepper mill. Put the glass in the freezer for ten or fifteen minutes. Add six ounces or so of tomato juice, stir, and put back in the freezer until ready to drink, preferably with scrambled eggs, toast, and smoked salmon. Caviar optional.

One of the best, in a short brandy glass, had an oyster at the bottom. A cajun joint behind the merch mart in Chicago did these and also served oysters in shot glasses (sans booze) at lunch time. Most memorable for once finding a pearl in my mouth - no joke. They also had fresh horseradish - so easy - so good.

One of the best, in a short brandy glass, had an oyster at the bottom.  A cajun joint behind the merch mart in Chicago did these and also served oysters in shot glasses (sans booze) at lunch time.  Most memorable for once finding a pearl in my mouth - no joke.  They also had fresh horseradish - so easy - so good.

Yeah i've done those before with a shot of vodka in trhe bottom but more of a salsa than straight mary mix, chpped tomato with diced jalapeno (the jarred ones) and pepper with a pinch of celery salt and a drop of worcestershire sauce. mmmm...

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

No No NO! to the horseradish uuuuurrrgggghhhh. . .

A bloody mary with horseradish is like a glass of cocktail sauce. Ick.

While I agree that a lot of horseradish makes a Bloody Mary too much like cocktail sauce, I'd argue that a little (I use less than 1/4 tsp. per drink) adds a second layer of heat that you can't get from chile-based hot sauces. Made with just a touch of horseradish, a Bloody Mary doesn't taste like cocktail sauce, or even like horseradish -- it just has a nice fresh burst of heat. I like it.

I should note that my recipe upthread is for a pitcher's worth of Mary mix, not a glass. So the big dollop of horseradish isn't quite so daunting, and the heat and spices go a bit further.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol