• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Proper disposal of oil

bloviatrix

I'm looking for suggestions on how to get rid of oil that's been used for deep frying. I keep a supply of jars and empty yogurt containers that I pour oil in and toss them down the garbage shoot, but I can't help but think there's a better method.

What do you do with the "dead" oil when you fry?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

It ends up in containers with me wondering what to do with it - until I finally take it to the dump. But, I probably don't go through more than a couple quarts a year.

For anyone using more, try to find someone recycling it into "bio-diesel."

Nero, you're obviously on city sewer. Do that to a home septic system for long and you're looking at big bucks.

Aw, hell.  I'm gonna' go out on a limb here, and tell you all:

I pour it down the drain. 

You only live once.

I used to flush it down the toilet, but then I felt guilty. That's part of the reason I'm looking for suggestions.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Oil is oil. To keep your conscience clear dispose of it at the same place you dispose of used motor oil. Usually at a receptacle at the the local fire station.

PJ

Edited by pjs (log)

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

If your trash goes to an incinerator, you can put it in the trash without any guilt, as it will aid in the incineration process.

Most treatment plants are designed to handle oil (but not grease). I definitely would not pour it down the drain if you have a septic tank.

• 2 years later...

i have never ever known what to do with it... and avoid deep frying altogether because of this single reason. i'm craving some fried foods (homemmade).

could someone enlighten me? i don't have a professional deep fryer - just a big pot.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Alot of people filter the oil and reuse it. If you want to get rid of it easily, freeze it and then throw it away right when you are taking the garbage out.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Find your local BioDiesel club -- they are converting cars to run on used frying oil...

(I am serious - a friend of mine recently converted a Cadillac to run on BioDiesel and is in the process of selling the rest of his gasoline-driven cars).

...If you want to get rid of it easily, freeze it and then throw it away right when you are taking the garbage out.

Really? Is that legal? I don't know why it wouldn't be, it just sound so environmentally unfriendly... but I guess disposal in any sense means returning it to the earth in some form... I guess I just assumed there was a more "friendly" form than just dirty grease...

U.E.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Find your local BioDiesel club -- they are converting cars to run on used frying oil...

(I am serious - a friend of mine recently converted a Cadillac to run on BioDiesel and is in the process of selling the rest of his gasoline-driven cars).

Now there's an option with which I could live with myself... :biggrin: Who knew? [edited to add]: Boy, that was an awkwardly formed sentence... is that grammatically correct?

Anyway - Yay for chicken-fried cars! :laugh:

U.E.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

...If you want to get rid of it easily, freeze it and then throw it away right when you are taking the garbage out.

Really? Is that legal? I don't know why it wouldn't be, it just sound so environmentally unfriendly... but I guess disposal in any sense means returning it to the earth in some form... I guess I just assumed there was a more "friendly" form than just dirty grease...

U.E.

Geez, I hope so. If it isn't somebody speak up! I would never do it if it wasn't food grease or oil. I actually generally mix it with other fats and bird seed and put it out for the birds.

And if there is a biofuel plant in my area I would be happy to contribute to it.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I actually generally mix it with other fats and bird seed and put it out for the birds.

so that's why birds are getting larger.... :laugh: just kidding. seriously though, this is a novel idea - i never thought of it. what's your method? what do you feed birds?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I keep fat in a juice can and keep adding bird seed to it. Alot of birds need the extra calories in the winter. Essentially, it is like a homemande suet tray. I just mix in the same kind of seed that you would find in those- you do need to have some animal fat in there that is solid at room temperature.

George Costanza

U.E.

Geez, I hope so. If it isn't somebody speak up! I would never do it if it wasn't food grease or oil. I actually generally mix it with other fats and bird seed and put it out for the birds.

And if there is a biofuel plant in my area I would be happy to contribute to it.

It is legal to put cooking oils and fats in your household garbage, at least on a household level. That sort of thing is expected to go into your municipal solid waste landfill (MSW), and the landfill is designed for it. However, the other uses cited above are more friendly uses of the material. The whole idea of the MSW is to collect all the materials that go into it and keep them forever. The landfill is lined. Eventually it's capped to prevent precipitation from going in. Therefore, the fats aren't going back to the earth in any sense of recycling. Using them for fuel, either for your car (gosh, I like the sound of that) or the local wildlife is closer to actual reuse or recycling.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I've found that the easiest way to get rid of grease is to save things like old big ketchup bottles or canola/vegetable oil bottles and dump the grease into them. When they're full, I just throw the whole thing in the trash. I'm sure it's not any more environmentally friendly, but it's the least messy way to put it in the trash.

And if you're looking for good deep fried recipes, Emeril's recipe for fried eggplant on foodtv.com is super easy and is very versatile - I've used it for fish and other veggies like zucchini. I just use a deep pan, the kind with straight sides.

Edited by Adrienne Carmack (log)
"God give us good taste, why bother?" Captain Jim's Sushi Chef

I keep fat in a juice can and keep adding bird seed to it. Alot of birds need the extra calories in the winter. Essentially, it is like a homemande suet tray. I just mix in the same kind of seed that you would find in those- you do need to have some animal fat in there that is solid at room temperature.

wow - not that i'd actually consider eating such a concoction, but it sounds like an irresistably good pumpkin-seed schmaltz at two-star michelin obauer restaurant in werfen, austria. yum... i'd be a happy bird! :raz:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

It can go in the garbage everywhere, at least as far as I know. Cooking oil is not the same as motor oil. It's a food based product. It should go through the same degrading that any other foodstuffs do. Even if it were to get into the water supply in small amounts, it wouldn't kill ya. If it were in large amounts, it would make things a little murky for a while.

You may also want to check with a restaurant for their disposal techniques. Ever wonder where soap comes from? Recycled restaurant "grease" is one component, and is actually somewhat valuable. McDonald's has locks on their grease containers, and the waste is sold to processors for soap and animal feed, among other things. It's quite versatile.

Although, I think there is a way (I'd have to look for it again) to use it for a torch type thing outside to chase away mosquitos and such, if you don't mind your yard smelling like fries...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Although, I think there is a way (I'd have to look for it again) to use it for a torch type thing outside to chase away mosquitos and such, if you don't mind your yard smelling like fries...

I'll pass on the McDonald's-scented patio party, but would love to contribute to the production of soap!! :raz:

This is great - thanks for all of the suggestion folks! Now I feel a lot less guilty/worried about frying up some cheese for my salad tomorrow!!

Ulterior Epicure.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

A friend of mine has a converted biodiesel car. He gets his fuel for free from a local restaurant who used to pay $100/month to have the used oil removed and disposed of. It's a nice win-win situation.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The Warwick NY school sytem is using it for some of their busses now :biggrin:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Honestly, I can't see where the problem is. I have an oil container in the kitchen. After deep-frying, I put a sheet of oil filter paper on top of the container and pour in the oil. I reuse the oil for deep-frying, stir-frying, and so on. If the oil gets extremely dirty, then I put it in an empty milk carton and dispose of it like other raw garbage. (Of course, in Japan, it is prohibited to discharge oil into sewers.)

Some people use Katameru Tempuru (sp?) and similar products, which coagulate oil for easy disposal.

So, you mean you usually don't have an oil container, oil filter paper, or any of those oil coagulants in your country?

Honestly, I can't see where the problem is.  I have an oil container in the kitchen.  After deep-frying, I put a sheet of oil filter paper on top of the container and pour in the oil.  I reuse the oil for deep-frying, stir-frying, and so on.  If the oil gets extremely dirty, then I put it in an empty milk carton and dispose of it like other raw garbage.  (Of course, in Japan, it is prohibited to discharge oil into sewers.)

Some people use Katameru Tempuru (sp?) and similar products, which coagulate oil for easy disposal.

So, you mean you usually don't have an oil container, oil filter paper, or any of those oil coagulants in your country?

Certainly people use oil containers and filter paper, although I haven't seen any of the coagulants that you write of. Then again, we do very little deep-frying in our kitchen so it is not a big problem in my household.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Then again, we do very little deep-frying in our kitchen so it is not a big problem in my household.

of course he doesn't - he's a doctor!! :laugh:

i, for one, don't do it because it's messy, and, of course, my doctor tells me to be moderate on fried foods (like i listen)... :raz:

seriously, if you don't have a deep fryer, it's just a messy affair... and i do so little of it that it really doesn't justify investing in filters, converters, or any other semi-technologically/co-ordination-required device(s).

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account