• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zuke blossoms

bloviatrix

I bought some zuke blossoms at the greenmarket today. I've never used them before, but Jack Bishop has a recipe that looks pretty good where you stuff the blossoms with a ricotta-herb mixture, dip in egg and cornmeal and then fry.

Anyway, two questions regarding the prep:

1) Some of the blossoms still have their stems. Do I cut them off, or can I leave them?

2) The stem end is a little prickly. Is this a problem? Will they soften in the frying or do I have to remove it somehow when I clean them?

I plan on working on them starting at 6pm, eastern. Any help before that will be appreciated.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I think it's a matter of personal taste, but for me it depends upon the size of the stems. If they're delicate and small, I tend to leave them on. If large, I remove. If I'm leaving them on, I usually do a quick scrape with the edge of a knife blade to remove any roughness.

fanatic...

Thanks everyone. I kept the stems on since they were short.

And, I decided not to stuff them. I deep fried them in a beer batter. They were unbelievable. But then again, everything tastes better fried.

:laugh::laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs