• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Champagne's Cellar Resiliance

dillybravo

Aloha,

I recently bought a bottle of Pol Roger Sir Winston Churchill, the 1990 vintage. I intend to keep it for another 10 years or so.

The issue: I have no cellar. I have drawer in the kitchen, which is sort of cool, maybe 18 degrees? Possibly 16, except for the summer. Then it'll fluctuate up to possibly 23 - 25 degrees days, and maybe down a few at night.

So.. Is champagne fairly durable, or should I consider placing this lone bottle in some sort of rented cellar space? Or just drink it sooner? I also move a fair bit, every year or two, during which time all of my wine is exposed to some vibration and temperature fluctuation.. Nothing too major, but I certainly don't take many precautions other than keeping it with me on the front seat of my car. : )

Any suggestions appreciated.

Aloha,

I recently bought a bottle of Pol Roger Sir Winston Churchill, the 1990 vintage. I intend to keep it for another 10 years or so.

The issue: I have no cellar. I have drawer in the kitchen, which is sort of cool, maybe 18 degrees? Possibly 16, except for the summer. Then it'll fluctuate up to possibly 23 - 25 degrees days, and maybe down a few at night.

So.. Is champagne fairly durable, or should I consider placing this lone bottle in some sort of rented cellar space? Or just drink it sooner? I also move a fair bit, every year or two, during which time all of my wine is exposed to some vibration and temperature fluctuation.. Nothing too major, but I certainly don't take many precautions other than keeping it with me on the front seat of my car. : )

Any suggestions appreciated.

Why bother? Just buy the 90 Pol Roger in 10 years and drink it. Many people think of a cellar as a lavish expense but in reality, you'll save money by buying wines you wish to drink in 10-15 years, now. Why risk it ?

Cellar temperature is probably the most important aspect for storage. If I were to wieght the relative importance for various factors of storage it would be thus. 90% temperature 7% light 3% vibration. Given the choice between storing a wine at the correct temperature but vibrating slightly versus no vibration and too warm I know what I would pick. Grandmothers basements or friends in Alaska are also good options.

PS The 90 Pol Roger is excellent, I tried a bottle last summer that was clean, fresh,beautifull mousse and a tart citrus finish. Not as biscuity as Veuve Clicquot or Bollinger Champagne

Edited by Lancelot (log)

If it's slower than me.

Dumber than me.

And tastes good.

Pass the salt.

Anthony Bourdain