• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Late Night Eats

Absonot

I'm meeting a friend up in Vancouver this Saturday. Trouble is, her flight doesn't get in until 10PM and we want to have a late dinner...a nice late dinner.

Are there any places with kitchens open late, or bars with good late night menus?

I'm not sure that Brix still cooks late, but I know Lucy Mae Brown up the street does, and the food is excellent.

Fiction in Kitsilano is doing great food lately, new chef from lumiere/west/wickaninish these days. Their kitchen goes until 2 am.

good luck!

I have loved the meals I have eaten at Lucy Mae Brown. On the other hand we ate at Brix once last winter and I found the food to be awful! The rissotto was the worst thing I ate all year. Dry and undercooked and not very tasty. however this may have been my problem only as the place seems very successful. There are a number of lounges that serve food in the city like Glowbal, Fluid, and others I have heard good things but never tried them myself.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I don't know if this would be considered a nice dinner, but Bin 941 serves food until 1:30 if memory serves me correctly. It's not white tablecloth but the food is very good. I drive to Vancouver from Seattle, usually after work on Friday night. It's become tradition to have dinner there because of the late hours. Expect to wait though.....the place is really tiny and very popular. I usually put my name in then wait at a bar down the street, Lickerish (I think that is how it is spelled).

I have no idea if Bin 942 is open late as well.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

During my recent trip to Vancouver, I had several late-night meals at an excellent Chinese restaurant called Tsui Hang Village (1193 Granville St., on the corner of Davie St.--tel. 604-683-6868). They are open every night until at least 1:30 a.m. (I know this from first-hand experience...)--on Fridays and Saturdays, even later.

I had several delightful meals here. Vancouver has wind-blowingly good Chinese food.....this place may not be in the very top echelon of Vancouver Chinese restaurants, but by NYC standards it's fantastic. Some standout dishes I remember particularly : fried rice with salted fish (the salted fish gives it a fermented, almost smoky flavor), a couple of delicious hot pots, steamed whole chicken with Chinese ham and black mushrooms (outstanding), and the most delicious oyster dish I've had in ages--it's called "oyster with black bean sauce", and you order by the oyster. I had no idea, really, what to expect and was quite pleasantly surprised when I was served four very large oysters that had been steamed in the half-shell, each with a dollop of black beans, which had been lightly mashed with a bit of ginger and garlic, and some chopped scallions. Somehow, the dish far exceeded the sum of parts....it was transcendent.

If I remember correctly, the restaurant actually specializes in seafood, but aside from the oysters, I didn't order any. Somehow a platter of seafood isn't what I (as a solo diner, anyway) often want. At any rate, the restaurant is quite comfortable (this one does have white tablecloths!), and has a pleasant, sedate atmosphere. And it's not too far from most of the downtown hotels.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

• 1 year later...

There are lots of Chinese restaurants that opens late. One near my neighbourhood is Kwong Chow Chinese Restaurant on Main and 16th, or Congee Noodle House on Main and Broadway.

A good Korean hole-in-the-wall is Ma Dang Coul. I believe they open late on Fridays and weekends but they didn't have the closig time on their window. I'm guessing this is due to unpredictable late student diners. They're located on 847 Denman Street. 604-688-3585

Courtesy of Vitamin V this morning..........(www.vitaminv.ca)

later is greater

Ever tried to get fed after 10 pm in this city? Never again will you ruin a perfectly good evening of opera, ballet or film festing with a grand finale of 99 cent pizza.

Elixir at the Opus Hotel launches its "Petit Plats" menu this month, served after 10 p.m. until closing, complete with guest DJs to keep the vibe running smoothly into the wee hours.

Think lobster ravioli, mini steak-frites in bite-sized pieces (in case a knife and fork is just too much trouble this late at night), oysters, tempura, and white asparagus, each perfect little dish for $12 to $14.

Warning: Beware the drunks at the back banquette-oh, was that us?

www.opushotel.com

Gastronomista

There are lots of Chinese restaurants that opens late.  One near my neighbourhood is Kwong Chow Chinese Restaurant on Main and 16th, or Congee Noodle House on Main and Broadway.

For ya out of towners, Congee Noodle House is a cash only operation.

Wen

A surprise spinach salad was found on a Sunday night at 11 p.m. at the Five Point Pub on Main St. at 16th. I wanted to eat something light after finishing work and Umami was only serving drinks so I went closer to my neighbourhood. The menu reads as typical pub fare, but if it's anything like the salad, I think some good food is there. Can't find the bill right now, but I think the salad was $9.00 and easily could feed 2 people. I didn't think I could eat it all, but only left 2 bites. What I liked about it was I could taste the natural flavours of all the ingredients. Spinach (not one wilty leaf to be found), chick peas, dried blueberries, red onion, peppers, feta (asked for light on the feta), black olives, candied pecans, and maybe more (?) A light vinaigrette that didn't take over. The table nearby asked the server what it was as she carried it past them. It was a beautiful salad.

Downside, busy and noisy room for a Sunday night, but it is a pub.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Thought I'd add to this older thread with Jang Mo Jib on Robson Street.  Open until 5am on Friday and Saturday for when you need that late night hearty Korean soup!

Cheers!

I was just here a few days ago, eating chicken skewers, mackeral, and jap chee (chap chee?) at 2 a.m. Washed it all down with a few cups of these flavoured sake drinks (one was aloe, one was yogurt). Great late-night snack!

What about the Gyoza King at 1508 Robson, a block or two from Denman? They're open late and offer real Japanese bar foods at a reasonable price. Several magazine articles have said that the downtown chefs all hit it after their shifts.

There's also DV8, but they just had a fire and may be out of commission for a while.

Paul B

Thought I'd add to this older thread with Jang Mo Jib on Robson Street.  Open until 5am on Friday and Saturday for when you need that late night hearty Korean soup!

Cheers!

I was just here a few days ago, eating chicken skewers, mackeral, and jap chee (chap chee?) at 2 a.m. Washed it all down with a few cups of these flavoured sake drinks (one was aloe, one was yogurt). Great late-night snack!

Only 2am? Oh yeah, it was a weeknight. :wink:

Cheers!

To add to the late-night offerings in Yaletown, the folks at Brix (with others) are on track to open up George next month. It will have a Hamilton Street address but will share the kitchen with Brix (which is just upstairs), giving this London-style lounge a menu that'll feed the cool kids until 2am. :smile:

Went by yesterday and the place is really coming together quickly. The bar looks like a stunner.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Being a night owl in the night biz, it's always a struggle to find good dinning after 12. a place where the food isn't scary and you you can relax, come down from a big night and hear the people your with talk. I love this topic.

Brix is good, the people are great and the menu has some high points. the pizza is always good and the Kobe burger is excellent if you're ready for that much protien at the time of night. Can't wait to see them open George. perhaps they will be better prepared on a consistant basis service wise.

Can't say Tsui Hang has ever inspired me gastronomicaly, althought after a night on the town the "Cold Tea" is always a hit. wink wink, nudge nudge.

Gyoza king is brilliant. truely the best gyoza I have ever eaten.

Martini's Pizza on broadway is also very good. great prices, casual atmospher, good industry crowd. lots of usuall suspect on the good menu but my fave is the baked spagetti. something about the ooehy gooey bubbling chees and the family's secret tomatoe sauce at that time of night that just works for me.

Here's a challenge, there is lots of asian out there, but is there a place to get good sushi after 12:00??

Can't wait to see what Nu has to offer.

Cheers,

K