• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner in Portland

My husband and I will be traveling to Portland on the first weekend of September. We'll be hanging out with friends there for most of the time, but we'd really like to have at least one dinner together alone.

Our funds are somewhat limited, so something in the $15 per entree or less category (or with selections available) would be great. We are both pretty adventurous eaters, and love all things Asian, Moroccan (I miss Marrakesh!), Indian, Italian, fusion......the only thing that would really be out is seafood (just not a big fan).

I'd love to try something different, and this will be the first trip we've had together since our honeymoon over five years ago (without the kids - woo hoo!), so we're really looking forward to it. Suggestions, please?

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

One place I love that inexpensive and interesting for something new is Blue Nile. Little hole in the wall place on NE Broadway and they serve Ethiopian food. Weren't they the ones we were told as kids to clean our plates because people are starving there? Who knew they had such an awesome cuisine! They give you utensils if you want but it's fun to eat with your hands. There's a combo platter that I share with my dining partner and it's usually plenty for the two of us.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I love Injera and Ethiopian food in general - anything you can eat with your hands is always a plus in my book :biggrin:. Sounds like a good possibility.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I think Portland's Vietnamese food offers the best and cheapest option for dining out.

My Cahn on NE 39th (just off Sandy Blvd) is very good, and Saigon Kitchen (NE 9th and Broadway) is my perennial neighborhood favorite. Slightly more upscale, but still affordable (and very good) is Pho Van Bistro (1012 NW Glisan in the Pearl District).

For affordable Italian, try Basta's on NW 21st and Flanders. The wine bars mentioned here are another good bet...as is Pambiche for Cuban food.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Chopsticks on Hawthorne at about 37th is great. You do have to be picky about what you order. Seafood is out. Haven't liked any of their seafood, but since your not eating seafood you're okay. Its a fusion of Southeast Asian cuisine. Good stuff. For breakfast I always plug Zell's and Cup and Saucer. Try Castagna's for a good less expensive meal although I have gotten out of William's on 12th with only spending 100 for two (with several wines including port). Some of the more famous restaurants there all seem to have the same menu due to the 'local ingredient issue.'

The culinary insitute also does some cheap eats things although I can't comment on the quality.

I admit it's been a couple of years, but I had a wonderful meal at Cory Schriber's Wildwood.  I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it.  Is it still open?

Bruce

Still there, but probably out of the given price range. Unless you eat at the bar, which does do a very nice cheeseburger.

I admit it's been a couple of years, but I had a wonderful meal at Cory Schriber's Wildwood.  I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it.  Is it still open?

Bruce

Still there, but probably out of the given price range. Unless you eat at the bar, which does do a very nice cheeseburger.

Oops. I didn't notice the price range requirement. Sorry.

Does Wildwood actually have a cheaper bar menu? That surprises me; most high-end restaurants offer the same menu at the bar.

Bruce

Bruce, welcome to Pacific Northwest--I'm a big fan of your books.

I definitely second Jim's recommendations for Pambiche and My Canh. Pambiche is the most exciting restaurant I know of in the region--the food is adventurous, delicious, and cheap.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May