• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

3 pinot

Florida Jim

With turkey meat loaf:

1996 Drouhin, Pommard:

initially tight on the nose and acidic on the attack/

with about an hour in the decanter, the nose was black cherry and slate, and the palate echoed it with moderate concentration, solid structure and bright flavors; the finish was of medium length with gradually fading fruit.

This was one of those silly deals where, as the distributor’s rep. brought it into my local retailer I redirected him to my car. The retailer, noting that he had been saved shelf space and the need to hand sell, cut me a nice deal. Right place, right time. About $12, at release.

With bruschetta with melted fresh mozzarella, arugala pesto and olive oil:

1998 Thomas, Pinot Noir:

This producer makes wine that simply is not for everyone. But they are distinctive; they do not mimic any other terroir I am aware of nor are they made to any formula. And sometimes, they miss. But not this time.

The nose on the ’98 opened to the characteristic gunpowder aroma with both red and black fruit and a bit of mineral, backing. On the palate, it tightened up over the period of about two hours open, beginning with light bodied and lacey red fruit and mineral flavors and ending with tannin laden black fruit with some earth tones. The gunpowder of the nose carries lightly to the palate and there is even a hint of it on the medium length, somewhat astringent finish. Quite structured. IMO, this needs another 4-5 years. About $30, delivered on release.

With a summer vegetable casserole with ricotta custard:

1998 Hamacher, Pinot Noir:

Another of my favorite producers from OR, this vintage is at full song. Exquisitely ripe and pure black cherry scents and flavors dominate with hints of spice and earth; everything is nicely integrated and the texture is finished silk. Some complexity, excellent concentration and perfect balance across the palate lead to a very long, powerfully flavored but effortless finish. A deeply flavored wine without a single edge or moment when its structure intrudes upon its fruit.

Just fabulous. About $30, delivered on release.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim,

As a fellow Pinot addict I wonder if you find that the Oregon Pinot's seem to lack  a basic level of fruit and are rarely worth the asking price.

I do believe that many do. But, like most other appellations, there are producers who rise above.

A quick check of my cellar inventory indicates that about eleven persent of my cellar is Oregon pinot - evidently I have more confidence in them than even I thought.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com