• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mixed ripe and not so ripe fruit

Suvir Saran

I like to thicken fruit desserts (cobbler, pie , crisp, buckle) with tapioca starch. It thickens clear and is not "tight" like cornstarch. My greatgrandmother taught me that! We agreed to disagree on lard in pie dough!

Suvir --- I agree that the EH pie dishes make a more attractive presentation, all in all. I tried it in le coquelon simply to make it an even higher fruit to dough ratio, similar to doing it in a dutch oven. I think the next one will be peach, blueberry, and red rasberry, unless I can find some apricots to sub for the peaches.

I think the next one will be peach, blueberry, and red rasberry, unless I can find some apricots to sub for the peaches.

I have made many of the peach, blueberry and red raspberry cobblers, people love them. The color too is sensational. I was looking very hard for blond raspberries and have had no luck this summer. :unsure: I thought it would keep the color of the peaches pure and I would have omitted the blueberries.

Also what works very well with peaches are blackberries.

I add a little home ground almond flour into the fruit. I toast the almonds, cool them to room temperature and then toss the flour I am using for the cobbler into that bowl and then grind the nuts. Gives a great flavor and texture to the cobbler.

Suvir, how long/what temperature do you toast the almonds?

Just once before summer is over, I want to make the mixed berry cobbler that we had at the farm dinner. The addition of framboise is something I'd never have thought of, but I'll try it.

The weather just shifted here. We had the hottest summer I remember here in Santa Cruz—I've lived here fifteen years. Then this week, a freak thunder/lightning storm came (it hardly ever lightnings on the coast of California)...now the morning fog is back and I'm afraid the window of summer is closing. Time to get the berries that grew in the heat—they always taste better. Tomatoes, too.

Which reminds me, I want to make the recipe for an heirloom tomato tart—it's got parmesan cheese in the crust. Mmmmmmmm.

• 2 weeks later...

Suvir --- I'll have to try the almond flour. Sounds very good.

I tried something a cobbler or two ago that didn't work, though I think I was on an interesting track. I tried to do a peach and serrano cobbler, but I just minced the pepper without roasting it and it turned out annoyingly bitter. Does this sound like it has enough potential to try roasting some peppers?

Edited by Richard Kilgore (log)