• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Durian Shakes!

I at at Malay Satay Hut the other night and took the opportunity to try a durian shake. It was awesome!!! The smell is indeed a ripe one, but the creamy flavor can't be beat.

Does anyone know of places near the International District Bus Tunnel that serve anything durian?

Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

hal

Mmmmm.... durian. STINKY!

I'm not sure yet if Honey Moon (?) in the Uwajimaya food court serves durian ice cream but you could check with them.. they have a revolving list of interesting ice cream/shake/tea flavors. I like lychee. Yum.

It's been ages since I went to Far Far's in Issaquah, but they used to make their own durian ice cream there.

Here is a thread from EONS ago about durian ice cream at Far Fars:

durian!

Hey... the Thai place in the Great Wall Mall has durian bubble tea. I've never been bold enough to try it. The mall, of course, is in Kent.

clicky for Great Wall here

edit: to add link

Edited by girl chow (log)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Lots of durian here in Portland. I tried it. Thanks for trip Mr. Bourdain. Hated it but proud of myself for lugging that huge thing home and slicing it open by myself as my family looked on going "EEEWWWWW!" Nasty...just not my thing.

Edited by duckduck (log)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

There are also durian popsicles sold in many of the Asian grocery stores in the ID. Uwajimaya sells them in a stand-alone freezer (along with other flavors: mango, red bean, etc) near the ice cream section.