• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating during a creative dry spell

fresco

QUOTE (maggiethecat @ Jul 30 2003, 10:46 AM)

Pasta Putannesca, heavy on the anchovies and capers.

And shoot me, but I like grated parm atop.

I think this is one of the few fish recipes where it is not taboo to grate some cheese over it. I mean, you're certainly not going to be obscuring any delicate flavors!

Personally, though, I like pecorino rather than parmigiano with this one.

Amen! (Also a good peice of meat on the Weber)

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

Chicken and/or Beef Enchiladas -

Kids: "We have enchiladas, like, every night."

Grilled Pizza -

Kids: "We have Grilled Pizza, like, every night."

Grilled Burgers -

Kids: "MMMM Burgers!"

Quick stir fry. (Trader Joe's frozen stir fry veggies ROCK!!)

Kids: "we have, like, (you get the picture)

Pasta with some type of tomato sauce, and mixed green salad-

Kids: "We have, like,..

Me: "Make your own damned food, then! I'm sure there's some yummy spaghettios in the pantry! Just don't forget to add a tablespoon of sugar - it's probably not sweet enough! Or there's got to be some scrumptious Mac N' Cheese!! Oooh yeah!"

Pasta w/ fresh pesto. Basil. Fresh from the garden. Fresh from the garden

Kids: "eewww - what's this green stuff"?

Me: "It's what your brain's going to look like in a few years, from all those Spaghettios and Mac N' Cheese!! That's it!! I'm done cooking for you little ingrates!"

Next night:

Grilled Burgers -

Kids - "MMMM Burgers!"

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Maybe I'm just a slow learner.

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant

Since I usually have some form of leftover pork butt or chicken in the freezer, I pull that out, start chunking veggies out of the fridge. Then I either boil some pasta and make whatever kind of sauce from what I pulled out or wrap some combo of the ingredients in a tortilla. I go through periods when I do the same sort of thing with a can of coconut milk and some flavor of Thai curry paste that I always have on hand. I don't think about it, I just let what the fridge disgorged guide me. It is usually pretty good.

When my son lived with me, if he came home and found me staring into space, he would say... "I see it is clean out the fridge night."

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Gohan (Japanese rice), miso shiru with silken tofu and baby spinach, takuan and gari pickles.

Jin :wub:

I tend to turn to Japanese food when I am feeling uncreative.

a bowl of rice, a bowl of miso soup, and some pickles and if I have some type of himono (dried fish) in the freezer I will grill that .

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Miso soup for me too.

Spaghetti alio olio is common.

Like tommy, I tend to grill a lot.

Lots of sandwiches.

To get myself out of a cooking slump, it usually takes a great meal of some sort. Something inspiring. A good fine dining experience tends to always do it for me.

Gohan (Japanese rice), miso shiru with silken tofu and baby spinach, takuan and gari pickles.

Jin :wub:

I tend to turn to Japanese food when I am feeling uncreative.

a bowl of rice, a bowl of miso soup, and some pickles and if I have some type of himono (dried fish) in the freezer I will grill that .

Actually, I also often do this when I am profoundly inspired and deeply moved about the ruthless generosity of existence.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Funny, that has changed over the years....

Nowadays, it's a Portuguese chicken and rice dish, the one I posted the recipe for on the Chicken Thighs Thread. When I'm well-organized and in the groove, I can usually make this in half an hour.

A few years ago it was Spaghetti alla matriciana....so simple, and so tasty.

Several years before that it was spaghetti with oil and garlic, usually with a couple of anchovy filets and some dried red pepper tossed in.

Looks the common themes are one-pot meals that contain a nice, comforting amount of STARCH in some form or other.

Edited by Eric_Malson (log)

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

I think that eating during a creative dry spell is a form of eating disorder. Its a dirty habit.

Habits, dirty or otherwise, are what get you through these spells.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Maccaroni, cheese (grated framhouse cheddar), Heinz Tomato Ketchup

in the fall you can cook for me anytime, baby

mac and cheese - meatloaf

in the summer anything grilled which is tricky since HIMSELF has decreed anything cooked on the grill can't be dark since it causes cancer(DO NOT ASK) - can we say ocd??????!!!!!!

though i also do a lot of fish and crab salads and just did a potato salad that I will eat - not german which the husband wants but with cubed boiled potatoes, minced carrots, minced shallots, celery salt, dill, miracle whip, thawed frozen peas, and a touch of mustard.

actually made spaghetti and meat sauce the other day. extra was frozen for use during the hawk watch when i just have to thaw it , cook pasta and make a salad with garlic bread

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I too stare into space, then with increasing concentration look at the list of what I have in my freezer, fridge, and closets -- the fruits (and vegetables and meats) of happier, more creative times past. And pull out a container of some stew or sauce or a collection of oddments to be heated up and turned into something new.

Or if it's a lucky day and the Greenmarket is open, I will mosey on down to see what veggies look good, and get my inspiration there.

Frosted flakes, grilled cheese sandwich, and a bud light. If i'm lucky, I might have some shiraz instead of the bud light. :blink:

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.