• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tiki Time

Al_Dente

This is probably going to be a short thread, but I was inspired by another thread in another geographical area. I do recommend a couple of places though (if you're in the mood):

1) make the drive down to Solomons in southern MD. Near the end of the road (basically, the only main drag in town), is a little tiki bar across the street from a marina on the bay. Known for the occasional woman who will flash her..... uh..... tikis.......

2) There is a loosely Chinese place in south Alexandria in Fairfax county. Right next to the 7-11. The food ain't bad in a kinda americanized polynesian sort of way, with the big ol whacky drinks like suffering bastards and flaming volcanoes. I'll come back to this thread with the name of the joint if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Any other recommendations?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

There's a Trader Vic's in Emeryville, CA.

Pixar Animation Studios is located in Emeryville, Ca.

Somehow, everything makes sense now.

:biggrin:

(Sorry, off-topic but I couldn't help make the connection.)

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

The Solomon's Island Tiki Bar (Mai Tai Recipi: Rum. Rum. Special mix. More Rum) hasn't been the same since they built that huge brick sewage pumping station right in front of the bar, blocking the view of the harbor. :angry:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

The Solomon's Island Tiki Bar (Mai Tai Recipi:  Rum. Rum. Special mix. More Rum) hasn't been the same since they built that huge brick sewage pumping station right in front of the bar, blocking the view of the harbor.  :angry:

Thanks for the update. Yikes. Guess it's off my list.

-- A.B.

2) There is a loosely Chinese place in south Alexandria in Fairfax county. Right next to the 7-11.  The food ain't bad in a kinda americanized polynesian sort of way, with the big ol whacky drinks like suffering bastards and flaming volcanoes. I'll come back to this thread with the name of the joint if someone doesn't beat me to it.

The name of the place is Honolulu-- it's on Telegraph road near the Huntington Metro. A review:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?n...ofile&id=977060

-- A.B.