• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickles in tuna salad

Dave the Cook

Matthew:  Eeew.

Maggie:  I don't get cottage cheese either.  Especially when subbed for ricotta.  Yuck.

I think maggie was punning off smegma. :smile:

You would. :raz:

There was a local band in Boston during my formative years called "Smegma and the Nuns."

--

Buttercream frosting: You might as well nosh Crisco straight from the can.

Side-by-side refrigerators: I can't see a single significant advantage to this design. Yes, you can get water and ice through the door, thus maintaining the interior temperature, but the result is that you have almost no usable freezer space. So what's the point?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

What I don't get (so sue me):

southeast-Asian food: too much sweetness in dishes that I am accustomed to as savory;

crabcakes: adulteration of a good thing;

Alaskan crab: stringy and bland, when Dungeness and blue crab are so superior in flavor and texture;

sashimi: just boring;

alcohol in sweets: adulteration of a good thing;

lobster: crab is so much better;

any cheesecake other than plain: adulteration of a good thing;

raw onions: they give me a headache;

coffee: yuck

barbecued beef brisket: pork barbecue is so superior;

thin vinegary barbecue sauces: boring; and

Korean food: unrelieved red-pepper spiciness.

Side-by-side refrigerators: I can't see a single significant advantage to this design. Yes, you can get water and ice through the door, thus maintaining the interior temperature, but the result is that you have almost no usable freezer space. So what's the point?

AMEN! I can see that you are a person of outstanding perception and intelligence. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

AMEN! I can see that you are a person of outstanding perception and intelligence. :biggrin:

Funny, I was going to say the same thing about you!

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

coffee: yuck

I was nodding my head thoughtfully as I ran through your list, not always agreeing, but thinking it well-reasoned.

Until I got here. My lawyer will be calling your lawyer! (Coffee goes well with brownies!)

fifi and Archie: Side by side refridgerators suck. I could never get a decent sized turkey in the freezer, for God's sake!

Dave: If you make buttercream with Crisco, it's gonna taste like Crisco!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Dave:  If you make buttercream with Crisco, it's gonna taste like Crisco!

Maggie, I'm not talking about grocery-store sheet cake frosting, which I'm pretty sure is made with shortening, since it seems to hold up better in a display case.

Most of the buttercreams I've had (which were made by professionals) tasted as if they were made of Crisco, though I know for a fact they were made with butter. It's just too much room-temperature fat on my tongue (no Jamie Oliver jokes, please).

How about you make one for me and try to change my mind?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I'll tote a tub of the stuff on the plane when I meet up with all y'all folks at Varmint's. Pick your flavor.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I'll tote a tub of the stuff on the plane when I meet up with all y'all folks at Varmint's. Pick your flavor.

You're on. I start considering flavor.

(You need to brush up on your Southern before you get to Varmint's, Lily. Your use of "tote" is perfectly colloquial. However, "Y'all folks" is redundant. :wink: )

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

southeast-Asian food:  too much sweetness in dishes that I am accustomed to as savory;

sashimi: just boring;

Korean food: unrelieved red-pepper spiciness.

I would suggest that in each of these cases, exposure to better ingredients and preperations might well help you get them.

Otherwise you'll be hearing from my lawyers Shaw, Varmint, & Dredd.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Things I don't get:

cilantro

creamed corn (if I still wanted to eat baby food, I'd eat baby food)

zucchini (unless it's so disguised by being fried, cover in cheese or sauce, or meat)

summer squash (ditto)

miracle whip

chunk lite tuna

flavored water (ie Fruit2O)

I'm sure there's more but that's all for now...

(You need to brush up on your Southern before you get to Varmint's, Lily. Your use of "tote" is perfectly colloquial. However, "Y'all folks" is redundant.  :wink: )

I hang my head with shame. Guess I'll need to polish my colloquialisms among native speakers.

Kate: Zuke is just a blank canvas, as you've noted. My English granny served it boiled to death (called it marrow) and very, very lightly salted and buttered. I didn't try it again for fifteen years.

My female inlaws (Irish cooks) still serve it the way my grandmother did. Why the hell bother?

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

My mom tried to make a casserole type thing with corn and zucchini, spiced with paprika I think, and covered with melted Jack cheese...but I just picked off all the cheese and ate that. :biggrin: It was probably good if you like zucchini, but I just can't stand the flavor...

The secret to zucchini and yellow squash is to scorch it. My kids call it Mom's Scorched Squash. You just put it in a cast iron frying pan with some butter and cook it down letting it concentrate and "scorch", well... caramelize. No water added at any point.

What I want to try is a butter cream made with fresh lard.

Lard rules.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Dessert.

I used to have a long list of things I didn't get, but would eat. I never enjoyed okra, until I finally had a nice specimine sublimely prepared (and that doesn't mean disguising and nullifying the okra). Now, if I consume inferior okra, at least I know the possiblities. I never enjoyed natto, until I finally had a nice specimine sublimely prepared (and that doesn't mean disguising and nullifying the natto). Now, I don't fear it at all. I can see what was intended.

I've had lots and lots of "good" dessert and my wife continues to surprise me with her pastry skills. But as a course? What were they thinking?

Rice pie is nice.

Things I don't get:

What some of you are doing here with taste like that. :raz::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

1. Many Japanese snack foods. Shrimp chips or crab chips come to mind. What exactly precipitated the link between seafood flavoring and fried snacks? And what exactly is the thin styrofoamy substance said chips are made OF?

IS there in fact any actual shrimp in shrimp chips?

And even weirder -- once came across a bag of "squid peanuts", in which peanuts were enrobed in that same extruded-foam-snack-substance. This time, yes, flavored like squid.

Squid and peanuts.

Why?

2. Purple ketchup.

3. But the big one I don't get -- which is guaranteed to set off a storm of controversy, I'd wager --

WHY do people persist on referring to "Manhattan Clam Chowder" as a CHOWDER, when the VERY DEFINITION of "Chowder" involves dairy products and "Manhattan Clam Chowder" CONTAINS NONE?

The only "clam chowder" in existance is the New England variety. It has milk. That other kind doesn't. So why call it chowder?

there.

Edited by Callipygos (log)

You just have do do what we did and get the 27 sq ft model. It's huge - too big for our kitchen, but once we looked inside we refused to return it.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme