• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickles in tuna salad

Dave the Cook

I have to speak up in defense of the tuna salad pickle. I'm a fan of a good half-sour deli dill pickle, minced, in my tuna. Use the pricey tuna from Italy packed in olive oil -- so worth it. Also add chopped (but not minced) celery for crunch and just enough mayonnaise to hold it all together. A few grinds of black pepper and... voila, a great tuna salad. Fit for pumpernickel rye.

And while we're at it...what's the deal with PBJ?  I've always found it nauseating, in fact inedible.  Peanut butter tastes too sweet on white bread, and grape jelly is a non-starter however you look at it.  Not grapey, not flavourful, sweet, thin....yucky jelly consistency. 

I don't get it.

you have to toast the bread. that's the secret.

you have to toast the bread.  that's the secret.

Actually, I've been told it's good on rye toast. Anyone out there tried it?

(Now, raspberry jam on grilled cheese sandwiches...that's good!)

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

you have to toast the bread.  that's the secret.

Actually, I've been told it's good on rye toast. Anyone out there tried it?

I'm with you on the jelly. And preserves seem inappropriate.

However, PB and honey, on (yes) dark rye toast, is very, very good.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Absolutely.

Absolutely not. :angry:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

However, PB and honey, on (yes) dark rye toast, is very, very good.

OK, if I post one more thing I Don't Get no one will deign to speak to me. But, sadly, except for toddies and some Middle Eastern pastries, I don't like honey much either. But I have some, and the next time I have dark rye in the house, I promise to try this with an open mind.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Sauerkraut. Silly, smelly stuff.

Yer nuts, Dave.

Charcroute.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

No! Choucroute garni or however it's spelled is one of the perfect meals. In winter, at least.

For those who don't like mayo with tuna sandwiches, one of the many little jars from Stonewall Kitchens is an artichoke heart and caper relish sort of deal. Mix with tuna and glop over either mixed greens or bread. Very nice, esp for the labour involved.

Agree it's not possible to like pb&j if the j in question is grape. Bleckity. Must be berry. Not a fan of honey for the most part but sometimes get a craving for it with peanut butter and not the flavour so much as the way it makes that side of the bread a kind of crispy.

The Basques serve black cherry preserve with cheese, for what it's worth (if you're seeking validation). :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

My recipe came from a "great hotel" kitchen that I worked in as a teen...

Some of the worst food I have ever eaten in my life came from the kitchens of great hotels. :raz:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

The Basques serve black cherry preserve with cheese, for what it's worth (if you're seeking validation). :biggrin:

She really didn't need to look any farther than a Sara Lee frozen strawberry cheesecake, come to think of it!

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

that's because y'all are talking about commercially produced crap peanut butter like Skippy and Jiffy peanut butters. Those peanut butters ARE too sweet because they have sugar as one of their listed ingredients. OTOH, a peanut butter like Smucker's All Natural, or even a peanut butter from a health food store or one that you could make yourself doesn't or wouldn't have any sugar, and would therefore solve the sweetness problem.

Me, I like pb&j using other types of jellies, jams and preserves than grape. So for me, its pb&J with pineapple-ginger marmalade, or pumpkin-walnut butter, or lime marmalade, or apple-cranberry jelly. Makes for a more interesting sandwich, eh?

And then, there is pbB&f (peanut butter, bananas and fluff) sandwiches.

Or pb, banana and melted Cheddar cheese sandwiches. :blink:

YUM!

Soba

That sounds absolutely delicious, Bux. Sure, I'll take some validation! :raz:

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

The rest of you can go on enjoying what you thought was good, if you want.  :raz:

Hey, thanks Bux! Actually, when making tuna salad I do prefer the one can white one can light mixture. Bit water packed, nanny nanny boo boo. :rolleyes:

One more incomprehensible: Putting anything more assertive than a squirt of lemon on oysters on the half shell.

I'd understand a few drops of mignonette sauce, which is probably no more assertive than lemon juice. I prefer lemon juice myself, so there's hope for you yet. :laugh:

Now what do you drink with your oysters? That's less of a problem. I'm tolerant of quite a few white wines as well as beer. I draw the line well before Coca-Cola though. :rolleyes:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Look, it's very simple.

Tuna salad (grilled ahi crumbled, fresh mayo, lemon or lime zest, minced scallions, s&p, perhaps a touch of chile flakes or capers).

Kosher dills or cornichon are wonderful. On the side.

But I do want a pickle in my sandwiche cubano. Ah, there's just no accounting for taste or it's inconsistencies. :cool:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

now, I otoh don't get EGG SALAD with pickle relish.

And that's da shiznitz, folks.

Soba

Yikes! I've never seen that done. Thank goodness.

We only ate Adams peanut butter. Peanuts, salt, period. Good point that the high-sugar types may not work as well.

But I do want a pickle in my sandwiche cubano. Ah, there's just no accounting for taste or it's inconsistencies.  :cool:

If there's no pickle, it's not a Cubano. Unless you substitute roasted pimento, of course.

No pickles in egg salad, either.

Maybe it's just pickles I don't get.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

But I do want a pickle in my sandwiche cubano. Ah, there's just no accounting for taste or it's inconsistencies.  :cool:

Sure there is.

I don't like pickles on hamburgers or sweet pickle relish in tuna salad. On the other hand, I like dill relish in tuna salad, but not celery. As someone noted earlier, there's no accounting for taste...

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.