• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NaHa - Chicago - chef Carrie Nahabedian

Back in June of 2005, the Chicago Tribune rated NaHa's burger the 2nd best in the city. Last Friday I finally got a chance to try it and I thought it was terrific.

The burger, served on a toasted brioche bun from Red Hen Bakery, was thick and very juicy. It was cooked perfectly to medium rare, topped with caramelized onions and, by my choice, Manchego cheese. Some gorgeous lettuce and slices of perfectly ripe tomato were also served with it, but I ate them separately. Accompanying the burger were also some terrific, crispy french fries. 3 of the 4 other folks I was with also ordered the burger and everyone seemed to be very pleased with it (i.e. all plates were completely cleaned). And, at $10 per burger, I felt very comfortable having a relatively new supplier foot the bill. The burger at NaHa is, not surprisingly, the real deal and I'd definitely recommend it.

As it turns out, NaHa is also a great place for a business lunch. The menu is impressive and thoughtful and the space itself is comfortably elegant. Service was fantastic. I felt like we really made a nice impression there with some folks who were visiting from both out of state and out of the country.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

A friend informed me earlier today that chef John Peters, formerly chef Grant Achatz's right hand man at Alinea, has signed on as Sous on at NaHa. It's very exciting news and while it's definitely a loss for Alinea, it'll certainly be a boon for NaHa.

Chef Peters, if you're out there, congrats on the new gig! They're lucky to have you on-board at NaHa. I hope to see you soon.

=R=

I also had my birthday meal a NaHA and loved it. So many places are so-o noisy and this was quiet and elegant. Service was serious and thoughtful and we were never rushed. I am trying to keep my wine consumption down so we probably had a glass each but they had lovely wines by the glass. The food was interesting but clean. I loved every bite. I always think this is an under-rated place and it deserves more of a reputation. I like it better than Blackbird, for example. You have reminded me that I need to go again. thanks.

• 1 year later...

A big congrats to Chef Nahabedian -- and the entire NaHa family -- on her big win tonight, capturing the 2008 Beard award for Best Chef Great Lakes . . .

Nahabedian, in a post-award interview, told [Chicago Tribune's Stevenson] Swanson she was convinced that she wasn't going to win this year, the third straight year Nahabedian and her River North restaurant, Naha, have been nominated. "Chicago is such a powerhouse that I thought the award would go to someone in another city this year," she told Swanson.

Grant Achatz wins top Beard honor, Outstanding Chef; Nahabedian grabs Best Chef: Great Lakes

=R=

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

Gosh, I've been following this topic for five years (thanks, Ronnie!) and I haven't eaten there yet. Well, my birthday is in three weeks.

Congratulations, Chef Carrie. I love what I found on your website:

"In addition to gourmet cuisine, Naha prides itself as a restaurant with personality, style and warmth. "It's not an anonymous restaurant," Nahabedian says. "There is a reason why people come back two and three times a week, they are comfortable."

Comfortable.

Lovely.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Gosh, I've been following this topic for five years (thanks, Ronnie!) and I haven't eaten there yet. Well, my birthday is in three weeks.

And remarkably Maggie, I'm still only 40! :biggrin:

=R=