• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saratoga Springs

sammy

Saw with Max's dad less than an hour ago! Yes, despite their long involvement in the food business, like many ventures, there have been a number of unanticipated surprises along the way- some having to do with the zoning requirements, etc., but $$ is always the problem. I've been hesitant to ask, since it has become a sore subject, and many anticipated opening dates have come and gone. He seems to think they are well on their way- hopefully later this spring/summer. Anxiously awaiting. No, I don't plan to go to David's new place when it opens. It will probably do well, however.

Good news on Max's. I hope it finally comes to pass.

I have no doubt that Zecchini's place will do well. For some reason he seems to have a Midas touch. I know it isn't the food though, which at best is mediocre.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 4 months later...

Thanks guys. Also heard good things about two new places - the Grey Gelding and Lemoncello (sp?). Any first hand reports?

JPW - did you stay in town for Jazz Festival? If so. where?

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I realize this is a bit off-topic, but does anyone else think Grey Gelding is a horrible name for a restaurant? I don't really want to think about, well, gelding, while I'm eating.

Edited by Mulcahy (log)

I realize this is a bit off-topic, but does anyone else think Grey Gelding is a horrible name for a restaurant?  I don't really want to think about, well, gelding, while I'm eating.

Some of the greatest race horses were geldings, hence the name of the restaurant (I assume). My guess is it indicates greatest and a long career on the track as opposed to the shed row. Just think about Forego, John Henry, Kelso, Exterminator et al and don't fret about the procedure.

If anyone goes please ask the owners which grey gelding they mean. I'm sure it has a special significance for them.

But remember the Grey Ridgling would have been worse - that could conjur up some strange thoughts.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I get your point, Rich, but I still think it's weird. I recognize that some truly great horses have been gelded, but I know a number of folks (including horse people) who have been so put off by the name they haven't gone in.

And I agree, ridgling would have been by far weirder.

I get your point, Rich, but I still think it's weird.  I recognize that some truly great horses have been gelded, but I know a number of folks (including horse people) who have been so put off by the name they haven't gone in.

And I agree, ridgling would have been by far weirder.

As long as that's not what their serving, I don't have a problem. :smile:

Still would be interested in the name derivation.

Rich Schulhoff

• 1 month later...
Limoncello on Broadway is open. I haven't been yet, but I have heard good things about it.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Once again, on my yearly pilgrimage, the best meal to be had in Saratoga was breakfast at Mrs. London's. Granted this year's competition was limited to an awful experience at Il Forno and some sandwiches at Putnam and it's been a few years since my last meal at Chez Sophie. Also, It was nice to see that Little India had relocated but the Grey Gelding gave off a bad vibe in the old space

Limoncello on Broadway is open. I haven't been yet, but I have heard good things about it.

I had dinner here with my family tonight and sad to say I was extremely disappointed. The menu is classic Italian, but the execution left a lot to be desired. Caprese salad had relatively tasteless supermarket style tomatoes - this might be acceptable in February, but in mid-August? Fortunately the mozzarella was decent. Fried calamari and zucchini was greasy and somewhat underseasoned, especially the two slices of thick cut zucchini. Fortunately the marinara that came on the side was tasty. Mussels in a spicy tomato sauce were the best thing I tasted this evening. The pastas were near to terrible. Gnocchi were dense rather than light and airy while the penne a la vodka felt rubbery like the dish was heated up in a microwave. Veal scallopine "Limoncello" were several small medallions of veal in a dense sauce supposedly of gorgonzola and porcini, but reminiscent of neither. The sauce was somewhat bitter. Mashed potatoes that accompanied this dish were serviceable, but the string beans lived up to their first name. I am one of those people that hate to leave anything on a plate especially if it good. All of the plates on our table left with something on them. We did not have dessert.

This place strikes me as being similar to Chianti Il Ristorante and I believe fans of that restaurant will enjoy this. I am not now a member of either restaurant's fan club.

Twitter - @docsconz

Maybe I'll try Lanci's one of these days though I am beginning to despair of truly good Italian in the area. Villa Luisa in Moreau may be the best that I have had, though none compare to the now long-departed Anthony's of Warrensburgh. Though it could be inconsistent that restaurant could really shine.

Twitter - @docsconz

Went with a friend the other evening to Gotchya's for the first time. Not bad; some of the usual classics: Filetto di Pomodoro, Carbonara, Amatriciana, Bolognese, a risotto del giorno. Nice atmosphere-dark, bistro-like. Wine list limited but adequate. Comfortable bar you can eat at. All pasta made fresh daily. If you like Cafe Capriccio in Albany, it will be deja vu all over again, as their chef, Dom Colose was at the Cafe for a number of years. The Eggplant with Four Cheeses now has Five. Menu will change seasonally. Had a long chat with the chef after dinner. Interesting to hear a chef's take on what they learned, taught, took with them, contributed to, etc. former establishments they cooked at.

Gotchya's

Mark A. Bauman

My wife and I made a quick, unexpected trip up last Friday without any reservations for dinner or lodging - my favorite place, the Chestnut Tree Inn, was booked solid. Got a last minute room at Longfellows and after the races decided to have dinner there, since I wasn't in the mood to go downtown (and the chef at the Wine Bar has left for The Lodge).

Got an 8:30 reservation and had a surprisingly, very enjoyable meal. And as a bonus a nice, complimentary breakfast the next morning. It certainly wasn't a meal for the ages, but very pleasant and their wine list was good and quite reasonably priced. I would recommend for simple fare and a modest price point. Certainly very good during the racing season.

Dinner for two, two bottles of wine, lodging for the night, newspaper at door at 6:00am, breakfast and tips - $400. That's a steal for Saratoga in August.

But the next evening was Stone Barns - and that was a meal for the ages (see that thread for comments.)

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

• 4 months later...

43 Phila a relatively long-time Saratoga restaurant has closed. I am not sure why.

Twitter - @docsconz

43 Phila a relatively long-time Saratoga restaurant has closed. I am not sure why.

No loss. It was good the first season it opened and has gone steadily downhill since.

Rich Schulhoff

No loss. It was good the first season it opened and has gone steadily downhill since.

While it wasn't a favorite of mine, it was one of the first to set the tone for an upscale dining scene in Saratoga at least in this iteration of the city.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 6 months later...

Had lunch today at Cantina, a new Mexican restaurant occupying the old Professor Moriarty's space on Broadway.This is not your Chi-Chi's style Mexican with enchiladas smothered in salsa and melted jack cheese with portions to feed an army of gluttons. This aspires to be more of a Bayless type Mexican restaurant using true Mexican ingredients such as huitlacoche and epazote, while sourcing most of the rest of their ingredients from quality local farms. I had a quesadilla with cojita cheese and huitlacoche. Though a tad salty, it was quite flavorful. I followed with a carnitas burrito that had good flavor. It was served with rice and refried beans and topped with creme fraiche, pico de gallo and guacamole -very good.

The restaurant has been criticized for serving "small portions." The portions, though not gargantuan were sufficient for me to take home a doggy bag. The price was also quite reasonable for Saratoga in January let alone August. I will be back.

Twitter - @docsconz

Review from the Albany Times-Union:

Cantina review

It was the reference to portion size in that review that I was responding to.

With a little tweaking, Cantina could show in the race for Mexican restaurant superiority in the Capital Region, but Ames, a Californian, will have to pump up those West Coast portions if he's going to woo New York appetites.

The portions are not tiny even if they are not gargantuan. I would prefer quality over quantity anyday. This is the closest thing to Mexican food that one might enjoy in Mexico that I have ever seen in the Capitol District. Even the tortillas and tortilla chips are hand-made and fresh.

Twitter - @docsconz

Review of Cantina in Metroland:

Emphasis on quality, not just portion size.

Metroland review

That review gets what makes the restaurant unique for the area.

It’s a pleasant restaurant in a prime location, bringing to four the number of Saratoga-area Mexican restaurants, but providing a menu quite different from the others. Once they weather the other August blast, that of the racetrack crowd, we’ll be back for more.

It is not a great restaurant for a number of reasons, but it is very good and fills a niche in the area previously unfilled. It is on my Saratoga go-to list.

Twitter - @docsconz