• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pierre Gagnaire or Guy Savoy?

bobsdf

You cannot do lunch and dinner the same day. I would suggest dinner at GS and a late lunch at Gagnaire the next day. That way if Gagnaire has a very good day and the style is something you love you will not feel let down by the more traditional approch at GS. Only problem is can you eat so much in so short a time and will the wine from GS have you a little tired for Gagnaire. Best would be to have a day off between the two or two dinners.

tarka, why exactly did you narrow your choice down to Savoy and Gagnaire ?

They're probably at the opposite edges of the traditional/creative scale on the 3 stars list in Paris.

Is that the reason ? Or is it recommendations ?

Mike.

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

Tarka - without doubt you have to do both.

Then you'll have Wd-50, Gagnaire, Bulli, Savoy and RHR in the same year.

And then you have to write a compare and contrast, 5,000 words, with no adverbs.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Tarka - without doubt you have to do both.

Then you'll have Wd-50, Gagnaire, Bulli, Savoy and RHR in the same year.

And then you have to write a compare and contrast, 5,000 words, with no adverbs.

you missed varmint's pig pickin off that list :-)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

tarka, why exactly did you narrow your choice down to Savoy and Gagnaire ?

They're probably at the opposite edges of the traditional/creative scale on the 3 stars list in Paris.

Is that the reason ? Or is it recommendations ?

Mike.

There were several things that pushed me towards GS and PG. Firstly, ADPA is closed the entire time we're in Paris and the NYE extravaganza is just too expensive for me, so it kind of deselected itself. Secondly, I read most of the France forum here (no joke) and figured that PG would be a more "challenging" meal (along the same vein as El Bulli and (I am hoping) WD50, while GS will be more of a traditional french 3 star (and I am thinking a good counterpoint to RHR) with all the trappings you would expect there. I also looked through the Restaurant Magazine "World's Best Resturant" feature and both make the top 10 as I recall. While I don't necessarily agree with their rankings, I think that the top 20 is a fairly good yardstick of where might be nice to eat.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

tarka, that's fair enough.

I have read this Restaurant Magazine "World's best restaurants" ranking and to be honest,

I found it "surprising". In the sense that 1) you can not rank the X best restaurants in the world

2) say you could, everyone would have a different ranking and 3) I can't get how Petrus (in London) made it

in there just to name that one...

I think that what makes a 3 star restaurant truly amazing is also strongly dependant on your own taste.

In Paris, a 3 star place that amazed me - for instance - was L'Ambroisie, place des Vosges.

My experiences there were consistently above the ones I had at GS, PG or Taillevent.

The main reason is that the food type served there (that I define as "classic with a twist")

is my favourite style. I've also been lucky because I visited L'Ambroisie mainly for lunch

and I therefore got more attention from waiters (the restaurant was not full...)

Anyway, enjoy both, they'll clearly show that two very different cooking styles can be playing

in the same league :smile:

Mike.

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

Paris, obviously, has a number of great restaurants that would make any serious critic's top "X" list. I've had the good fortune to experience a good number of them over the years though I have not been to PG. On the other hand, I always make a point of going to GS at least once everytime I am in Paris (5-6 times a year). What draws me back, aside from all of the obvious reasons, is that I find it very comfortable, warm, and greeting (a factor is not so true with many other of the greats).

I seem to recall reading somewhere that GS spent some time at a restaurant in the US and became more attuned to the American psyche. Maybe this plays a role. I also have been led to believe that, because of his US experiences, the restaurant serves a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. If true, that has to be a hit with the expats.

• 2 weeks later...

Guy Savoy does not do a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. It is not a French tradition. He did however do a pumpkin soup with white truffles that was quite good...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog