• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sangria

coolhandluke

I really like sangria and hope others post their favorites as well. Here are the recipes I'm currently using. The single large serving version is for when I want some with dinner. 

Sangria   an adaptation of a recipe posted at Allrecipes.com Serves 6

1/2 cup brandy

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/3 cup frozen lemonade concentrate

1/3 cup orange juice

1 (750 milliliter) bottle Merlot

1/2 cup triple sec

1 orange, sliced into rounds

1 lime, sliced into rounds

1TB white sugar

2 cups seltzer  

Combine all ingredients except the seltzer.  Refrigerate overnight. Prior to service add the seltzer.

Sangria  single serving

20g frozen lemonade concentrate

20g triple sec

20g brandy

120g fruity red wine

Juice of ½ a lime

50-60g ice

qs with soda

Edited by cyalexa (log)
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

We're hoping for some summer in a couple of months, and you may still be enjoying some.  Topic resurrection time!

I semi-accidentally discovered what I call 'instant' sangria a couple of years ago.  The basic recipe couldn't be simpler: take one bottle of red wine; mix with an equal quantity of tonic.  Add ice and drink.

You can build on this in any way you like.  We often now add a slosh (very precise quantity!) of brandy.  You might like to include slices of orange and other fruits.

Have fun, and keep the sunscreen topped up.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I have to admit that sometimes I make a quick 'sangria' by pouring red wine over ice, adding a bit of Grand Marnier and then topping it up with sparkling water. I think it's fairly decent. 

Edited to add: This is when I just want a single glass and don't need to make a batch for guests or anything. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

Here's my go to. Its a bit boozy:

2 oranges
2 limes
2 lemons
2 apples
2 pears
2 cup flavored vodka (Svedka Mandarin is an affordable option)

Squeeze oranges into a big bowl, drop spent rinds into juice. Thinly
slice other fruits and add to bowl. Add vodka. Let sit 4 hours,
overnight if possible. to this mixture, add the following:

1 cup simple syrup (1cup water mixed with 1 cup sugar)
1 cup orange juice (the more tree hugger, the better)
5 btls of wine (either red or white or rose, or any mixture of the
aforementioned - i always use a mixture of riesling, sauvignon blanc,
and chardonnay for whites)
Feel free to add any other seasonal fruit or juice (esp. peach for
white, pomegranate and cherry for reds)

When ready to serve, add 1 liter lemon lime soda, 1 liter soda water,
and more simple syrup to taste. garnish with fresh fruit.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I tried the Ginger-Cardamom Red Wine Sangria recipe featured in this article on Serious Eats:  How to Make Flavorful Sangria, Minus the Fruit Cup

The same recipe, inspired by the sangria served at Donostia in NYC is also here and uses ginger juice, cardamom syrup, sweet vermouth, fresh orange juice and red wine. 

At first sip, those warming  spices made it taste like an oddly chilled mulled wine that lost its way after the Christmas holidays but it grew on me after a while.

Even topped off with a little sparkling water, all those strong flavors make it a sangria to be sipped and savored rather than slurped. 

An interesting variation.  Interesting in a good way.