• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sangria

coolhandluke

Hi. I've made all three of these. The white sangrias are more spritzer like, but are good too. :unsure:

Sangria

1 orange thinly sliced

1 lemon thinly sliced

1/4 cup superfine sugar

1/2 gallon red burgundy

1/2 cup orange flavoured liqueur (I like Grandma)

2 bay leaves

1/2 cup brandy

1 quart club soda

Combine the orange, lemon, sugar, red wine, liqueur and bay leaves and allow to steep overnight. Add brandy. Just before serving add club soda and some ice.

White Sangria

1 small honey dew melon cut into chunks

1 small pineapple, cut into chunks

4 medium peaches, cut into thin wedges

1 lemon thinly sliced

1 lime thinly sliced

2 750 ml bottles of dry white wine, chilled

1/2 cup sugar (I like superfine)

2 tablespoons lime juice

1 litre soda water, chilled

1 cup loosely packed small fresh mint leaves

Additional pineapple spears

In a large bowl combine melon, pinapple, peaches, lemon and lime slices. Add wine, sugar and lime juice. Stir well to dissolve the sugar. Cover and chill. Just before serving, stir in carbonated water and mint leaves. Serve with additional pineapple spear garnish.

Tropical Sparkling Sangria

2 limes, sliced thin

2 small carambolas, sliced thin, crosswise

1 750 ml bottle dry white wine, chilled

1 12 ounce can of mango nectar, chilled

1 mango cut into 1/2 inch cubes

1 12 ounce can ginger ale, chilled

1 750 ml bottle champage/sparkling wine, chilled

Reserves some of the lime and carambola slices for garnish. Stir together white wine, mango nectar, mango and remaining lime and carambola slices. Cover, chill overnight. Prior to serving, stir in ginger ale chamgpage. Seve over ice cubes and garnish with reserved lime and carambola slices.

Enjoy!

1 bottle red wine (fruity, low tannin)

1 cup lemonade

1/2 cup brandy

1/4 - 1/2 tsp. grated cinnamon

Fruit: lemons, limes, oranges, banana, peaches, grapes, cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, apples, strawberries (use whatever you want/have).

Let the fruit marinate for at least 2 hours. Add ice before serving. If you want to be super fancy, make ice cubes with small chunks of fruit in them.

The cinnamon is supposed to be an aphrodisiac.

These sound fantastic....I'm going to have to put these to good use. Anyone have any others? I have heard of folks using blueberry purees and sometimes mulled spices. Do these work...is the mulling et al produce a better product, or are recipes like this not authentic. I have to make a batch for friends this weekend as a trial run for the restaurant...research by trial and error is always most fun, IMO :raz:

Bacon tastes good, porkchops taste good...

I made this for a party this weekend and it killed.

I used, believe it or not Carlo Rossi Paisano.

To every 8 cups of wine:

1 cup brown sugar

1 1/2 cinnamon stick

1 cup Presidente Brandy

1/2 cup chopped green apple; chopped red apple

1 whole sliced seeded orange

1 whole sliced seeded lemon

1 whole sliced seeded lime

Let mixture sit overnight. Chill and strain. Add several slices fresh orange, lemon and a handful of chopped apples. Gently mix in 2 cups club soda or seltzer.

Do warn people about the brandy however. One lass bared her breasts 'round midnight.

Forgot to add 1 cup fresh orange juice.

Edited by bryan (log)
Get the honey Junior.

My favorite summer sangria recipe. Never fails to delight.

Peach Sangria

2 ripe peaches, peeled & sliced (in winter, I use frozen)

1 lemon, sliced thinly, seeds removed

1 orange, sliced thinly, seeds removed

3 T sugar (or to taste, depending on size of lemon)

1/4 c Peach Schnaaps

750 ml dry white wine (about the size of one standard bottle)

Combine all and chill well, at least one hour. Serves two very jovial people at two generous glasses each.

As is immediately apparent, there is no brandy, so this is a pleasant, light, fresh-tasting summertime drink.

And on occasion I have, at the end of the evening, fished out any remaining peaches (now wonderfully marinated) and served them over pound cake and ice cream for dessert.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My sangria recipe is from the bartender at Sevilla's restaurant in the West Village. Really refreshing and delicious and it's never failed to please anyone I've ever served it to.

1 limes, 2 oranges, 2 lemons, 2 crisp apples - sliced and placed into a large mixing receptacle with all the juice off the cutting board

1 level tablespoon superfine sugar

2 750 ml bottles dry white wine (I've used Penedes or Albarino quite successfully)

2 oz. (1/4 cup) each, Grand Marnier (or Grand Gala) and good Brandy (Jerez preferable but E&J will do in a pinch)

6 oz (3/4 cup) club soda, sparkling water, etc.

Sprinkle sugar over the cut fruit in your container. Allow to macerate for at least 15 minutes until sugar draws some juices out of the fruits. Pour the wine over the fruit in your container. Stir well until sugar is completely dissolved. Add orange liqueur and brandy and stir to incorporate. Allow to macerate for at least one half hour, preferably longer and then add sparkling water and stir just before serving. Put some fruit into each glass before ladling sangria on top.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I used, believe it or not Carlo Rossi Paisano.

Me too! I made tons of it for my dad's 60th birthday party so cost was an issue. I thought it worked just fine -- no need for complex wine.

Here's the ingredients:

2 gallons Paisano

12 oranges

8 lemons

Orange liqueur

My secret, from an acquaintance in NC, is to juice most of the citrus and add it to the wine, chop the rinds, and cook them in simple syrup that is then used to sweeten the wine. Then I slice the reserved citrus & add. A little Grand Marnier or Cointreau & you're done. I'm now known for my killer sangria.

A similar recipe from epicurious w/ 2 gallons of wine is supposed to serve 100. For my dad's birthday party, with about 50 churchgoers, we had some left over. However, a friend of mine made the same amount for a Memorial Day party with about 40 guests, mostly twenty- and thirty-somethings, and she had to make a second batch that also disappeared. People LOVE the standard red sangria -- it's a guaranteed hit. Even old ladies will drink it cuz it's fruity. It's one of those things where you go "It was too easy" when they ignore the time-consuming gourmet stuff you make and heap you with praise for something any schmuck could do, but they don't have to know that.

My experience is that given the choice, 90% of guests will go for red over white. I personally don't care for white sangria either. I made the tropical sangria mentioned in another post once. It was good for mother's day but not a party thing -- presentation was gorgeous but it was something you'd have one or two of, not ten. If you feel the need to get fancy, I definitely suggest making a small batch of something daring and a double batch of the old standard.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

• 1 year later...

With the heat that we have had the past two weeks, I have had SUCH a craving for sangria.

My neighbor gave me some juicy peaches from her tree and I am thinking of incorporating them into one.

Does anyone have a favorite combination?

I usually make sangria on the fly, with red wine, brandy and cut fruit. The most successful version was the one I once made with a bottle of brandy that my friend had added dried apricots to and let sit for over a year. That was truly fabulous.

I made a white wine and apricot sangria on the weekend. Unfortunately the weather wasn't very hot, however it went down very well nonetheless. Here is the link for the recipe. I used apricot brandy instead of the peach brandy as that is all I could find and had cut up a couple of fresh peaches and nectarines instead of using the frozen peaches.

Drank it while sitting out on a deck overlooking the lake at a friend's cabin. Thankfully I only had enough to make one pitcher or things could have gotten out of hand. :wacko:

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

Oddly even though I love it, I rarely make Sangria at home. When we're travelling however we make it all the time, mostly because we just can't finish a bottle of wine between us, and it's a great way to use up that mediocre wine you bought on spec...

Travelers sangria: partial bottle of wine you couldn't finish yesterday, last bit of orange juice from breakfast, random fruit from the cute little store up the hill, sugar if needed/available, gorgeous view of the amalfi coast or french countryside. mix well & enjoy :biggrin:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

One of my favorites that I make (albeit very, very sweet, just the way I like it!) is to take a cheapy bottle of white (usually Spanish or Portuguese) that has "peach" in it's description at BevMo.

Mix with peach nectar (like kearns) and/or white grape/peach blend, a little sugar (or not, if you like it less sweet), a bunch of peach schnapps and a whole mess of cut up peaches. I let it sit over night, and serve over ice. Again, very sweet (a good brunch drink) and I have often served this with another bottle of white that drinkers can cut the sweetness with. i also like to garnish with raspberries for color, and kind of a peach melba thing. Yummy!

I hadn't thought of using peaches in white sangria--sounds delicious!

Since we have a regular supply of leftover wine after the weekends, I like to make a 'lite' version with citrus fruit, fresh mint and sparkling water, no brandy.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

I am certainly no expert, but I generally cut up apples and oranges and soak them for a few hours in a base of grand marnier (or cointreau), sour apple pucker, and sugar (not too much). Then I add a medium body red without too much tannin and some ice, stir and let chill.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

• 4 weeks later...
With the heat that we have had the past two weeks, I have had SUCH a craving for sangria.

My neighbor gave me some juicy peaches from her tree and I am thinking of incorporating them into one.

Does anyone have a favorite combination?

For my staff pool party last week-end we made a peach sangria using an inexpensive Riesling, peach schnapps, white cranberry/peach juice, lemon juice, orange juice and a little sugar. Added sliced peaches, oranges, and lemons. Wonderful and so refreshing. The fruit even tasted good.

Edited by Bill Miller (log)

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

For my staff pool party last week-end we made a peach sangria using an inexpensive Riesling, peach schnapps, white cranberry/peach juice, lemon juice, orange juice and a little sugar. Added sliced peaches, oranges, and lemons. Wonderful and so refreshing. The fruit even tasted good.

Sounds like Argentinean Clerico to me

• 11 months later...

This weeks Bar Buzz section of New York Magazine has an interesting bit on "Sangria" made with sake.

Chino's mixes mild Okagura sake, riesling, and brandy in a tall glass with slender slices of lime, lemon, and orange and a maraschino cherry garnish.

Hedeh has ons made with sake, orange and pineapple juices, triple sec, amaretto, and a variety of flavored vodkas.

Japonais's peach sangria is made with Momokawa sake, Cointreau, sweet Moscato wine, and passion-fruit and lime juices, with diced fresh peach as a garnish.

Sumile mixes junmai sake and sauvignon blanc with chunks of lime, orange, pineapple and crescents of green apple.

Sushi-a-go-go has a more traditional sangria made with red wine and hunks of apple tweaked with dry sake.

Anyone here ever used sake for sangria?

--

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

No better way to use up that half-drunk bottle of red wine on a hot day than in a refreshing sangria!

I prefer Bordeaux grapes . . . cabernet and merlot, or blends. The cherry flavors just go so well with that zip from some sliced citrus. For me, the zins and sangioveses taste a little weird when made into an iced drink, but maybe that's just me. We do not use hard liquor or sweeteners in our rendition. Just leftover wine, sliced oranges, limes and lemons, ice, and sparkling water. If I don't think we'll be drinking a whole pitcher at once, I save the ice to add later.

What's your version?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

i have 3 gallons of merlot that i will be turning into sangria this weekend for my b-day...

i usually add pineapple juice, oj, lemons, oranges and apples and call it a day... unless i happen to have some amaretto on hand, then i'll add that too :biggrin:

Edited by dvs (log)

• 10 months later...

Fearing the wine folk might think its a little gauche, I figure I can post my question here.. Plus it has brandy! I usually just do a mixture of brandy, cheap rioja, fresh orange juice, apples, sugar, oranges, and call it a day.. Anyone have anything that is particularly outstanding or interesting.. Having a party later today for about 20 people.. In addition to beer and fresh juice margaritas, we would like to make a bunch of sangria..

Thanks..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Daniel:

Check your PMs. I sent you an attachment with a red and a white sangria recipe.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Here's a question that might belong in the stupid questions topic...

How long can you keep sangria for? Assuming it's all mixed up and kept in the fridge, could I keep it for a week? 10 days?

I can only manage a glass (maybe two, but that's a big maybe) a day, but every summer I feel like making a big pitcher of sangria (and no, I don't want to share!).

• 5 weeks later...

I usually will make sangria atleast once in the summer. Love it! The recipe I use is not at all precise. I once was in Spain (16 years ago or so) and my wonderful hostess made it using a Spanish licquor called Ponche Caballero. She sliced apples, oranges, lemons, limes (?I think) and soaked them in the licquor overnight with addition of sugar. Then added the red wine and either club soda or tonic water (I don't remember. I have used both successfully). I never did look to find this licquor in the states but she said that Southern Comfort could be used instead and so I have used Southern Comfort. I use the very large Sangria pitcher I bought while there!

To answer Rona's question.....

I am usually the only one drinking this and find that it will last almost a week before starting to taste a bit "fermented." I think that it would last longer if I strained the fruit out of it after a day or two and then just added newly sliced fruit as a garnish to the drink. I haven't tried that, though. May do so with this summer's batch :rolleyes:.

edited for spelling

Edited by eldereno (log)

Donna