• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greek Wines

Meow-Mix

What are your opinions on Greek wines? Anyone here enjoy a Demestica, Agiorghitico, or Roditis? They taste good with Greek food. I'd like to hear any of your opinions, pro and con. Detractors feel free to blast away :cool:

We have a Boutari Moschofilero on the list at Striped Bass. Not surprisingly it goes well with seafood - both the thrust of our menu and a staple of Greek cuisine. It's relatively inexpensive (around $35 on our list - probably $14 at retail) and seems to be quite popular. I've not tasted it personally, but it gets high marks from the waitstaff and customers.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I use a nice Samos muscat in an apricot dessert and a Santorini vin santo (Assirtiko grape I think) from Kostas Antoniou in another (Athenee Importers, Malverne NY.) Another very good dessert wine from Evia, Greece is Montofoli Estate (imported by Vina Mediterranean LLC, Upper Marlboro, MD.)

On the non-dessert side I think you have to compare the Greek reds to Serge Hochar and Chateau Musar from the Bekaa Valley.

All relatively affordable and nice value.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Big changes in Greece in the last 5 or so years and not all to my liking.

Greece resembles tradition to me and one of the last to hold against the new world wine Tsunami.

With many greek wine makers studying in Davis or Adelaide or greek wine makers hiring international wine experts, many of them will be washed away into the ABC world.

The greek know very well how to live of the earth in terms of both food or beverage.

The fact that an addition of Cabernet to Aghiorghitiko makes it a superior wine is enacceptable.

Indeed many are usued to the Cabernet flavors and will like the wine more if they find something familiar. [ I guess mama's food tastes best ] but, in no way should it be rated higher !

The greeks are not the best in marketing I guess. They have the best food, unique [ and that is a very positive word these days ] wines, great scenery and yet considered inferior to many other European countries.

"On the non-dessert side I think you have to compare the Greek reds to Serge Hochar and Chateau Musar from the Bekaa Valley."

Steve, I am sorry not to agree with this one. Indeed both express worm climate [ especially on the production side ] but this is where I see as the end of comparison.

As far as the desert side is concerned: In place like Samos and their Nectar, I very much hope the land and wine production will go private so we can all enjoy the true expression of this great island.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Big changes in Greece in the last 5 or so years and not all to my liking.

Greece resembles tradition to me and one of the last to hold against the new world wine Tsunami.

With many greek wine makers studying in Davis or Adelaide or greek wine makers hiring international wine experts, many of them will be washed away into the ABC world.

The greek know very well how to live of the earth in terms of both food or beverage.

The fact that an addition of Cabernet to Aghiorghitiko makes it a superior wine is enacceptable.

Indeed many are usued to the Cabernet flavors and will like the wine more if they find something familiar. [ I guess mama's food tastes best ] but, in no way should it be rated higher !

The greeks are not the best in marketing I guess. They have the best food, unique [ and that is a very positive word these days ] wines, great scenery and yet considered inferior to many other European countries.

"On the non-dessert side I think you have to compare the Greek reds to Serge Hochar and Chateau Musar from the Bekaa Valley."

Steve, I am sorry not to agree with this one. Indeed both express worm climate [ especially on the production side ] but this is where I see as the end of comparison.

As far as the desert side is concerned: In place like Samos and their Nectar, I very much hope the land and wine production will go private so we can all enjoy the true expression of this great island.

Andre,

You are right. There are big changes going on in Greek winemaking now. The 2 Greek wines that I know from my youth, Retsina and Mavrodaphne, seem to have disappeared. Xthinomavro is the grape to look for. Adding cabernet sauvignon and merlot to these wines should be illegal, IMO.

Mark