• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atlanta this weekend

dscott

I'm making a trip to Atlanta this weekend to catch up with some friends and need some dining recommendations.

Requirements:

- Not over the top $$$ - Sure I'd love to eat at Bacchanalia but my bride would kill me.

- Solo diner friendly - At least for some meals.

- All meals welcome - B, L and dinner

- Close to Midtown - Let's say Midtown, V. Highlands/Morningside, Buckhead, Decatur, or thereabouts.

For some guidance on my tastes. In Atlanta, I enjoy Watershed, Bobby & June's (mmm, ham biscuits), Fellini's and Tortillas (before and after a long night), Ru Sans, Flying Biscuit, Sundown Cafe.... You get the point? Inexpensive good food.

How long a wait should I expect at Taqueria del Sol?

I've spent quite a bit of time as a "working visitor" to Atlanta. The opera put us up in Midtown, and I, for one, was not paid enough to even consider renting a car, so most of these are quite easily accessible from Midtown by public transport or on foot. And most of my meals were solo, so that shouldn't be a problem for you at any of the following:

First of all, the institutions....

Mary Mac's Tea Room--224 Ponce de Leon (a couple of blocks east of Peachtree). Yes, it's touristy, and no, it's not what it used to be, but it's still good Southern-grandma style cooking at very reasonable prices. I'm told the Colonnade is even better, but I never made it there.

Harold's Barbecue--171 McDonough Blvd. SE. Not easy to find if you don't know where you're going (it's near the penitentiary), but ask directions....it's well worth the trouble. The only REAL old-fashioned Southern barbecue I know of in Atlanta, and I made it my mission to find out. Go for lunch--they close early and the good stuff sells out. GREAT pulled pork.

The Varsity Drive-Inn--61 North Avenue (Midtown). An absolute must, but be ready for some significant grease intake. Chili-dogs (with the trademark streak of yellow mustard down their length....sometimes referred to as "Yankee dogs" because of the "yellow streak"), chili burgers, and fab onion rings. People say the frozen orange drink, whatever it's called, is great, too.

And others....

Silver Skillet--200 14th St. NW (Midtown). A bit like Booby and June's....probably not as good (I never made it to B & J's), but still pretty darn good. Southern breakfasts!

South City Kitchen--1144 Crescent Ave. (Midtown). After Bacchanalia, my most all-round enjoyable meals in Atlanta on the upscale-end of the spectrum were here. Modern interpretations of old Southern specialties. A tad pricey, but not ridiculous, and if you go a bit on the late side (evening), perfectly comfortable for a solo diner.

That's pretty much it for Midtown restaurants I actually would go back to, and I tried most of them. A bit farther afield......

La Tavola Trattoria--992 Virginia Ave. (Virginia-Highland). Somewhat expensive, but good Italian food.

Surin's Thai Bowl--1044 Greenwood Ave. (Virginia-Highland). Very reasonably-priced, delicious Thai food.

(May I just say that Virginia-Highlands is a huge pain in the ass to get to without a car?)

Huey's--1816 Peachtree St. (in sort of lower Buckhead). Very good beignets and, I'm told, pretty good cajun food. Great breakfast spot when you don't feel like the typical Southern avalanche of fat and calories.

R. Thomas--1812 Peachtree St. (right next door to Huey's). I never tried this place, but it was very higly recommended to me by a trustworthy source. Very eclectic menu, and quite inexpensive....it sounds to me a bit like a diner on quaaludes, and it's open 24 hours!

And now, for possibly my favorite restaurant in Atlanta.....drumroll, please!.......

Bien Thuy--5095-F Buford Highway. Easily the best Vietnamese food I have ever tasted (having never been to Viet Nam)....if only NYC had a Vietnamese restaurant this good. Yes, it's most of the way to Doraville out Buford Highway, but more than worth the trip. There's a spectacular barbecued pork and rice cake dish, and the hot pots are wonderful (not to mention the most delicious pho I've ever tasted). Actually, everything I've tried here has been top notch. Ridiculously cheap.

Just a few doors SW on Buford Hwy. from Bien Thuy is what most people agree is Atlanta's best Chinese restaurant, Little Szechwan. It IS good, but avoid most anything that sounds like ordinary Chinese food here (tends not to be too interesting)--the odder it sounds, the better it generally is here.

The one time I went to Taqueria del Sol, I only had to wait about 15 minutes (this was around 8:30 it night). It's good, and way cheap.

Convince your bride to go to Bacchanalia! By far the most enjoyable upscale meal I had in Atlanta, and, at least compared to NYC prices, very reasonable. Multi-course prix-fixe was, I think, $58. This includes dessert, so the only extras are wine, liquor and coffee. VERY well worth the price, IMO.

Edited by Eric_Malson (log)

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

I've enjoyed Villa Christina in Buckhead when I visited Atlanta a little while ago. It was a tad expensive but the food was lovely. I wish their website would offer a current menu, so as a recommendation, this kinda stinks! :sad:

Eric,

I used to live in Virginia Highlands so I can sympathize with the "getting to" part. Awesome neighborhood though. Luckily, I'll have wheels. I've tried most of the "institutions" on your list and definitely will hit the Varsity for a frozen orange (and several other morsels).

South City Kitchen is a new one to me. Sounds good. I might check it out. Is Bacchanalia only $58? Bride won't be with me. :smile: Might have to pay cash so it doesn't show on the c.c. statement. :rolleyes:

Have you tried Woodfire Grill on Cheshire Bridge? That was another recommendation.

Thanks for all of the advice. Of the places I've tried, you were spot on in your reviews.

Of the places I've tried, you were spot on in your reviews.

Why, thank you! :cool:

As a matter of fact, I have been to Woodfire Grill. There's a reason it went unmentioned. Actually, it was a perfectly decent meal, but not the least bit memorable. And since it is somewhat expensive, I felt the money would have been much better spent elsewhere. Like, say....Bacchanalia!

All things taken into account, I really do find Bacchanalia to be a bargain. The last I heard, they were open for lunch, too on selected days of the week (like, I think, weekends--call and ask)--they never were before. Lunch would also have the advantage of being, presumably, even less expensive. It would also, presumably, be prix-fixe like dinner, which is not just an option, but the only option here. So the price of the prix-fixe is all you will pay for food....period.

If you were considering paying Woodfire Grill prices, why not try Fogo do Chão? Presumably you like meat, since that is basically the point of Woodfire. It's a Brazilian rodizio--the waiters bringing a continual round of skewered meats to your table--so more fun with other people, but still possible for one. F.d.C. is a chain, but of these types of places (to which I am, more or less, addicted), it has the consistenly best quality of any I've tried. And their prix-fixe is about 40 bucks (dessert not included).

Virginia-Highlands did seem like a cool neighborhood...I dearly wish it had been more easily accessible without one's own wheels.

So you have been to Harold's? I met very few Atlantans that actually had, aside from the one that took me. Most everyone I met seemed to like Dusty's, but I've had barbecue that good in NYC (their brunswick stew IS stellar, though).

South City Kitchen, in addition to having good food, takes their wine list seriously. A varied and interesting selection.

And I must reiterate....if you like Vietnamese food at all, check out Bien Thuy. It is amazing. There's an active thread elsewhere about Vietnamese iced coffee with condensed milk....I had that for the first time there, and it is totally delicious. I could go for one of those right now.... :hmmm:

Along with the aforementioned Varsity, Mary Macs and Silver Skillet, I'd add the Busy Bee for Fried Chicken and Soul Food.  Cheap, awfully good, friendly.  Can't ask for too much more than that.

Me likey fried chicken. Holly, I can't read the menu well-enough to see if they have collards. I might die and go to heaven if I can eat f.c., collards and some banana pudding for dessert. Scratch that, I will probably just die after eating that meal.

Eric, after eating much bbq in atlanta, my general belief is to go to Allen and Son in Chapel Hill, NC. Georgia should stick to Brunswick Stew. Thanks for your thoughts on Woodfire. This might require a Bacchanalia trip. Bummer.

Here's your solution: If you're want Bacchanalia but can't afford it, try The Floataway Cafe near Emory. It's owned by the same people, with the same emphasis on fresh, creative food. The ambience is more relaxed, and so are the prices.

I agree with Eric on Fogo de Chao. Good stuff.

Until recently, Harold's and Fat Matt's were my choice for barbecue, although as a thirty-plus-year resident, I have to agree with dscott and admit that for some reason, Georgia has surpringly few decent 'Cue joints; I can do much better at home.

But Pig-n-Chik is awfully good. It's a relatively new place in Sandy Springs (on Roswell Road, so it's a straight shot up from Buckhead). It's getting raves from just about all corners, including mine. It's not the best I've ever had, but it's the best commercial source in Atlanta right now.

Edited by Dave the Cook (log)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Me likey fried chicken. Holly, I can't read the menu well-enough to see if they have collards.  I might die and go to heaven if I can eat f.c., collards and some banana pudding for dessert. Scratch that, I will probably just die after eating that meal.

Did you click on the menu to enlarge it? But yes they have greens. Collard greens daily and turnip greens Monday, Friday and Saturday. The have about 15 sides offered daily and another two or three special sides each day. You'll be eating plenty good.

Here's Busy Bee's menu from their website.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Here's Busy Bee's menu from their website.

Uh oh.

Veggie Plate or Fried Chicken? Veggie Plate or Fried Chicken? Veggie Plate or Fried Chicken? Veggie Plate or Fried Chicken? Screw it. Veggie Plate AND Fried Chicken.

Here's your solution: If you're want Bacchanalia but can't afford it, try The Floataway Cafe near Emory. It's owned by the same people, with the same emphasis on fresh, creative food. The ambience is more relaxed, and so are the prices.

I wish I agreed with you about Floataway, I really do. Perhaps it was bad luck, but my one meal there was decidedly unmemorable. Everything was somewhat pallid, flavor-wise, and prepared without much discernible care (not bad enough to complain about--just not quite up to par, like slightly over-cooked vegetables and an inexplicably watery entree that involved chopped, cured meat--very strange). This was all the way down the line--appetizers, main courses desserts, both mine and my dining companion's. I kept wishing the entire time we had spent the extra five bucks and gone for Bacchanalia.

But like I said, it was just once (and they blew it)....perhaps it was just an off night.

And, of course, now I'm wishing I hadn't missed Pig-n-Chik.

I have lived in Atlanta for 5 years and went to Harolds this spring solely because I hadn't ever been there. I've been making better barbeque at home since my second attempt. I had a pork sandwhich that was essentially thinly sliced pork roast that showed no sign of having been near smoke (which surprised me because the pits are clearly fired with wood). I'll never go to Harolds again. I will try that pig 'n chick place however.

At the risk of sounding like Mr. Negative, I'd skip Bien Thuy because of the environment and go to Vietnam House. It is cleaner, people are friendly, and most importantly, I think the food is better. http://www.vietnamhouseusa.com

Thanks for the advice everyone. Unfortunately, most meals in Atlanta were not eaten out so I did not get to sample nearly as much as I would have liked. In fact, I only ate 3 restaurants meals.

1. Taqueria del Sol. Mid-evening, mid-drinking snack. Excellent stuff for $5+. The Sundown folks have a real winner here.

2. Flying Biscuit - Tried the new one on Piedmont/10th. Prefer the old space and the biscuits at the old space.

3. Murphys - brunch in VaHI - as spectacular as ever. Delicious.

I do declare, however, that I WILL eat at Bachannalia on the next visit!