• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Competition Round Eight: It's Your Thing

Do what you wanna do.

Specifically: Shoot me your cleverest, wittiest, most substantive, most frivolous, most outrageous or most romantic topic for an upcoming Smackdown. Please send me your sample entry. I get lots of helpful PMs on the subject, but I thought it might be fun to throw the subject wide open.

What kind of topic would get your cerebral jus running, your mental mozzarella bubbling?

As an example, a suggestion from the ever-fertile brain of username fresco :

Write a blurb of less than 100 words positioning Kraft Mac and Cheese dinner as artisanal food.

"For over half a century, Kraft Dinner, whose ingredients are sourced with care from some of the most storied dairies in Vermont and the most pisturesque family farms in the Midwest, has been an American classic

that embodies the highest family values of more than three generations of discerning diners who treasure this unique pasta creation as the heritage dish that it is."

Speaking of fresco , unless you get yourself over here, the guy's gonna win by default, not simply acclaim. Round Seven will remain open until midnight Friday, August 1.

Additional 411 concerning this contest: If you win one of the top three prizes, your entry will run as the topic of an upcoming Smackdown. But there's more! You will sit on the bench with Justices JAZ and Dave the Cook (Chief Justice Maggie presiding) to decide the winner of your round. If we need a tie- breaking vote, Fat Guy will weigh in. If he's busy, Tommy dons his robes.

And, please! post your brilliant suggestions on the official entries thread. Not here.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

You've got me interested, but I'm not sure what a "smackdown" actually is. Can you point me in the right direction to find out more?

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

You've got me interested, but I'm not sure what a "smackdown" actually is.  Can you point me in the right direction to find out more?

Johnny:

Welcome.

Here it is: eGullet Literary Competition, AKA the Smackdown. The prize has changed: The winner now receives a cookbook instead of a Tshirt.

Please check it out and post an entry. BTW, your sig line is one of my very favorite pronouncements about writing. Ever.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

You've got me interested, but I'm not sure what a "smackdown" actually is.  Can you point me in the right direction to find out more?

Johnny:

Welcome.

Here it is: eGullet Literary Competition, AKA the Smackdown. The prize has changed: The winner now receives a cookbook instead of a Tshirt.

Please check it out and post an entry. BTW, your sig line is one of my very favorite pronouncements about writing. Ever.

And also one of the truest. Thanks for the link.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis