• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Day In the Life of Fat Guy's Household

me/waiting for momo pixures

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Today, lunch, pretzels (Utz pretzel nuggets) and cheddar cheese (Cabot "Private Stock," my mainstay from Costco). Dinner was at the Mitchel London steakhouse in Fairway. Still BYO. They put out hummus and pita to start, in addition to regular bread and butter -- basically a whole meal before you order anything. I had the amazing $35 meal special, which included a significant dry-aged USDA Prime New York strip of very high quality (not Lobel's but excellent nonetheless), overcooked as usual (I have learned to under-order), plus three side dishes: mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, and mixed vegetables (asparagus, onions, and a bunch of other stuff -- they used to do mushrooms, which were better). But that's not all. There's also included in that price a choice of appetizers. I had French onion soup -- they do a good job. The blue cheese dressing for the salad, if you order salad, is exceptional. This is one of the only restaurants in the universe with a good selection of caffeine free diet sodas, by the way.

The above are pretty typical eating days for me, though it's unusual for me to skip breakfast so many days in a row. I typically have breakfast on at least 50% of days. I hope you have enjoyed this little blog.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Dinner was at the Mitchel London steakhouse in Fairway. Still BYO.

Still The best buy in the city.

FG - You didn't bring a bottle or two of wine with dinner? How can you afford not to? :smile:

As an aside - I tried Montrachet last Monday eveing during BYOB dinner. It was great to walk out of there for less than $100. And we got to try several bottles from other tables - certainly worth a visit.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Didn't someone else--NeroW? do a sort-of, on-and-off again blog of food ingested during a day at school? But I do like the idea of getting others to open wide and blog, especially if people on other continents (including Andy Lynes) were to get involved.

Don't we have people posting from South Africa, all over Europe and parts of Asia?

Edited by fresco (log)
Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Didn't someone else--NeroW? do a sort-of, on-and-off again blog of food ingested during a day at school? But I do like the idea of getting others to open wide and blog, especially if people on other continents (including Andy Lynes) were to get involved.

Don't we have people posting from South Africa, all over Europe and parts of Asia?

Yes, and Awbrig tried it, too. But I think a three-to-five day thing, with the inherent lack of long-term commitment, is more doable.

And if we make it terribly formal, it will get bogged down. That's why I think Soba should be the de facto umpire. He appoints, you write. Alternatively, we could do it like a game of tag -- the current blogger chooses the next one. I kind of like that idea.

And yes, we have posters from every continent except Antarctica. We are huge.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Antarctica. Now that would be a must read blog.

Had penguin today again. 42nd day in a row. Maybe I'll make a penguin stew tomorrow. Except I don't have any vegetables. Thus, I guess it's roasted penguin again.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Antarctica. Now that would be a must read blog.

Had penguin today again. 42nd day in a row. Maybe I'll make a penguin stew tomorrow. Except I don't have any vegetables. Thus, I guess it's roasted penguin again.

...after 53 consecutive meals of roast penguin, penguin stew, poached penguin, penguin francese, McPenguin sandwiches and penguin Wellington, I have finally decided to return to my first love... blubber.

--

. . . penguin Wellington . . .

Must be a bitch to force feed penguins for the foie.

And what would you feed them?

My guess: blubber.

Can you imagine liver from penguins artificially fattened on fat?

--

OK, but I'll start tomorrow, as my budget is into deficit spending until I get paid. Nothing interesting about the bread crusts, gruel and water on which I have been subsisting of late (notwithstanding Eric Malson bringing ingredients over to my apartment for a great Portugese meal a few days ago).

I also promise an interesting glimpse into the culinary lives of Asher, Zebulun and Issachar -- my three baby ferrets.

--

Yes, I did.

There was also a thread, "Collective Food Diary," I believe, started by Kikujiro :sad: , where everyone (well, OK, not everyone) posted everything that they ate all day.

I used to love that thread.

Noise is music. All else is food.

momoblogfinale.jpg

Closing this topic and turning the mike over to my man Slkinsey . . .

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)