• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Day In the Life of Fat Guy's Household

Last night we visited the inlaws in New Haven, CT, and went to an excellent, traditional, old-school, Italian-American "home cooking" kind of restaurant called Lucibello's (in West Haven). The portions were ridiculously huge -- like three times the size of the fast-food portions that the food police are complaining about all the time -- so there wasn't any way for even a hungry obese person to finish. That left us with a bunch of leftover veal marsala and some sort of chicken dish, which is what I had, reheated, for "brunch" today (around 11:00am), standing at the kitchen counter and sharing little bits of it with my dog. This afternoon we visited our friends in Morristown (near Morristown, actually, but I don't know what their town is called -- maybe Mendham?) and had an early dinner at their place -- our various suburbanite friends know we enjoy grilling and smoking but don't have a yard, so we get a lot of invitations to be participant/observers in their cookouts. The experiment for the day was beer-can chicken, which came out tender and juicy but with no discernible flavor from the stuff in the can. Various accompaniments were also provided. They made pecan pie for dessert. It was a fairly elaborate meal in the end, beginning with snacks (chips, salsa, beer), moving on to the chicken plus some sausages, couscous, grilled veg, and corn bread, accompanied by an obviously expensive California chardonnay that tasted like having a stick of butter jammed into your mouth and getting it whacked down your throat with a freshly cut oak stump, and finishing up with cherries, watermelon, pecan pie, and noteworthy coffee (this particular friend is a home-roaster). No snacking of any kind today -- we're not big snackers. Just those two meals. Is this sort of account the slightest bit interesting to you? If so I'm happy to do a mini-blog for a few days.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

As long as you include the dog. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

accompanied by an obviously expensive California chardonnay that tasted like having a stick of butter jammed into your mouth and getting it whacked down your throat with a freshly cut oak stump

:laugh::laugh:

That's the shit.

Noise is music. All else is food.

accompanied by an obviously expensive California chardonnay that tasted like having a stick of butter jammed into your mouth and getting it whacked down your throat with a freshly cut oak stump

That's the shit.

Is that a good or bad thing?

As long as you include the dog. :biggrin:

He has a pretty unambitious diet. His meals consist of mostly dog food (some fancy holistic stuff from California), plus if we have leftover bits of animal protein in the refrigerator we'll cut up a couple of ounces of that and throw it in with his food. He's not allowed to eat any food from the table, but he is allowed to hang around the kitchen while we're cooking or preparing food (or in my case, sometimes, eating over the kitchen sink) and we'll usually give him a little bit of meat, cheese, fruit, vegetables, whatever, as long as he's polite (sit, be quiet, etc.). We don't give him much in the way of prepared foods because the sauces and seasonings tend to have too much salt. With the veal from the Italian restaurant, for example, I ran his pieces under the faucet to wash off all the exterior stuff, leaving mostly just cooked veal.

I should add that Mrs. F-G doesn't necessarily eat the same stuff I do. Her morning meal was fruit and yogurt.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Steve, sure, a mini-blog would be fun. Each entry should be accompanied by a Momo picture though.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Is this sort of account the slightest bit interesting to you? If so I'm happy to do a mini-blog for a few days.

Please? Pretty please? :wub:

We post our inner cravings and bare our foodie souls ( :blink: -- just kidding) on the Dinner thread and elsewhere, so fair's fair, I think.

More Momo trivia can't hurt either. :smile:

Soba

Jason and Rachel's mini poodles, Bailey and Truffle, are the site's mascots. Momo is the Fat Guy's mascot, and also eGullet's spiritual leader.

Today's late-morning meal was a sandwich. I have a bunch of really nice chicken breast meat from my preparations for the eGCI stockmaking class, so I put it together on some almost-over-the-hill bread (toasted), with the last of a pack of salami from Wegmans (I don't even want to think about how old it was), some Emmenthaler from Zabar's (great sale, $2.98 a pound for a high-quality cheese -- I can't even figure out how it's possible to do that no less ship it here from Switzerland), lettuce, mayo, and mustard. Here:

stockmaking51.jpg

The mid-afternoon meal/snack was hard pretzels with reblochon (lait cru, also from Zabar's).

Dinner was Chinese takeout and pay per view movies (8 Mile) at my mother's house. I had a big thing of roast pork mee-fun noodles and some rice, which I realize was redundant since they're rice noodles anyway. But I like rice with my noodles. Sorry. I didn't have anything else -- I just plowed my way through the entire order of noodles, and had four cans of assorted diet sodas (my mother has an awesome selection of everything from Stewart's to Dr. Brown's to Diet Rite and beyond). I thought about Starbuck's java-chip ice cream -- there was some in her freezer -- but I just wasn't in the mood (the reason there isn't another 100 pounds of me is that I really don't have much of a sweet tooth.)

{ok... shhhh... I have set up the {} so that FG can't see what is within.}

{We have to be careful here that we don't hurt FG's feelings. He is a sensitive guy, after all. We all know that we are really interested in Momo. We would not want jealousy to intrude on the man/dog relationship. So, we will have to be careful about how much we inquire about Momo. Yes, Momo rules. But FG thinks he does. Let us not disabuse him of his fantasy.}

Cool sandwich, Fat Guy!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

That's the shit.

"The shit" = good thing.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Fat Guy:

Four cans of diet soda? You're almost as much of a soda freak as I am. Granted, I'm an ex-soda addict because I gave it up, but I would drink five to six glasses of soda per meal per day. Can't say that I miss it, but I do love a good Coke or root beer (preferably Virgil's). In fact, I haven't had one for over six months now.

Ian

"Get yourself in trouble."

--Chuck Close

I drink a lot of liquids, period. Whatever is available, I drink a lot of it. Mostly I drink water, but I also plow through various sugar-free beverages (sodas, Crystal Light, unsweetened iced tea). I'm more moderate in my consumption of wine and beer, when I have them. I don't drink any sugared sodas, fruit juices, or anything like that unless it's for "professional" purposes, in other words I'll try the newest flavor of Snapple or a new soda so as to maintain cultural literacy.

Yesterday started with a sandwich similar to the previous day's but on half an Eli's onion-sourdough ficele with a different species of salami. This isn't a particularly convenient sandwich-making bread because it's so long and thin, but it works in a pinch and it's the best bread available at the mini-mart directly across the street from me so it's a frequent $2 expenditure. I usually have the other half reheated the next morning for breakfast (moistened slightly and toasted back to a nice consistency). But I ate it the same day because I went into BLT mode when my friend brought me some double-smoked bacon from the Smokehouse of the Catskills. Actually it was BL, because there were no satisfactory tomatoes within reach. And then I continued to eat bacon until I couldn't eat anymore bacon, which is to say I ate a lot of bacon. I also had half a brownie from Just Rugalach, which wasn't nearly as good as Just Rugalach's rugalach, which in turn isn't as good as the Green's rugalach sold at Zabar's.

For his part, Momo has been on a short rib kick. My mother had some short ribs, raw, lying around that got forgotten and moved past the point of reliable human palatability, so I braised them and cut up the meat for Momo. So he gets a little of that mixed in with every meal until we move on to the next thing.

That's the shit.

"The shit" = good thing.

Word.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com