• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Feenie's

Explorer

The concept: A bar section and a dining room area, both with high noise level and music, offering a hip, happening atmosphere. Very young staff, attentive, yet inexperienced, eager to please, not afraid to make mistakes.

Décor: Bright orange tones velvety/suede seats on restaurant side going up almost to the ceiling, and posh bistrot seats/table on the bar side. Patio seating on sidewalk. I figured they must have spent $800,000 to 1 million on décor.

I called 10 mins ahead at 9:45 pm on the 4th day they were open, and they took our reservation, but when we arrived- I wanted that nice round table on the corner. The hostess (who later turned out to be the assistant manager) said the table was already reserved. So, we were seated elsewhere. Two minutes later, I became suspicious and asked her to keep an eye for us in case that table became available. As it turned out, they were saving it for nobody- and when I asked her if she was being really straight with me, that table suddenly became available, and they all started to really cater to us.

The menu is divided as follows:

Appetizers: $7-9

Charcuterie: 3 for $15 or 6 for $25

6 Cheeses all from Quebec: goat, cow, sheep

Deserts: $6. E.g. apple tart, white choc crème brule, sherbet…

Dinner: $18-20. E.g.: Wild salmon, ribs, duck, papardelli…

3-course: $35

Rob’s favorites: $12-25. Includes burger, sheppard’s pie, Feenie’s winny

Side dishes: $5-9

It was late, and we only wanted some small plates, so the 2 of us went for:

- Ahi tuna tartare with black & white sesame seeds, cilantro, & tomato glaze, $9: Really tiny portion, average tasting tuna tartare that didn’t jump with cold freshness I expect in ahi tuna tartare.

- Grilled calamari salad with warm nugget Yukon gold potatoes in a spicy chili & lime dressing, $8. Best choice. Although chili taste was absent, the calamari was tender, tender, tender.

- Grilled asparagus side dish, $7. I cook a better grilled asparagus on my Barbee.

- Alsacian tart with speck bacon, onions & quark cheese, $9. Excellent combo of onions, cheese & bacon, but the pastry was undercooked and too soft on the bottom.

By the Glass:

Stellar’s Jay Brut, Sumac Ridge, $11 (a bubbly wine to its true meaning)

Pinot Griggio, 2002, Mission Hill, $8 (perfect with tuna, not too much acidity)

Pinot Noir Estate 2000, Cedar Creek $12 (smooth and well rounded, excellent vanilla aromas- a great wine)

They have a very comprehensive wine list, favoring top end B.C. wines. We were not too impressed by the deserts, so we jumped to Lumiere next door for deserts in the bar section.

So, what is Feenie trying to do with Feenie’s? Our take is that he is offering "simple food" appealing to the casual food customer segment (a la Earl's / Milestone's for those familiar with the Vancouver scene). That’s quite a few notches down from a Relais Gourmand level. But Feenie’s simple food is offered in a posh setting, with a rather expensive wine list to match that segment, and an unnecessary service attitude. By the look of the bar section, they want to attract a late night crowd that still wants to hip hop after midnight. That may be a narrow segment for a small market like Vancouver, but I think it’s still too early to tell whether the formula will be a winner or not. Overall, the place has enough excitement to warrant a second visit- assuming they fine tune it accordingly.

(By the way- their new tel. no. is 604.739.7115, and the web site will be Feenie's)

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

I really enjoy eating at Ouest/West and I really appreciate the paradigm change they went through....

Lumiere has been the best restaurant in Vancouver for a long time for good reason. The food is great. Getting the Relias au Chateau accolade sets a world standard at this restaurant. Well deserved! In every meal you can taste the effort, time and vast experience. Lumiere would stand up as a great restaurant in any city.

Now, in Vancouver we have lots of beaches, mountains, oceans and beauty. The average restaurant client is surrounded by extremes in environments and gets bored easily. I have had a lot of clients (local Vancouverites) complain about Lumiere in the last few months. When I ask them about the food and its preparation they cannot be specific about any problems. When I listen to the descriptions I start to crave another dinner at Lumiere!!! Vancouverites crave new things. Even if you are the best you need to still be dynamic.

I am excited to go to Fennie's and eat and be entertained. I am going to bring my wife this week. Lumiere is expensive but I still think it is one of the best values for your dollar in Vancouver.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

I must say, Explorer, restaurants, especially brand new ones trying to build up a clientele, do not save tables for "nobody" -- I have worked in the industry for over a decade and I am sure that there is a better explanation. I really don't think its fair to suggest that there was some sort of purposeful attempt to give you a bad experience. A cancellation probably occured, allowing you to get the table that you wanted.

Hmmm...with all my respects, Carl- I am not sure I would agree with your assumption.

I was there, and maybe I didn't say it bluntly enough- I called her bluff basically. There was no reservation for that table; and there were other empty tables around it- and it's pretty unlikely that on day #4 of operations, there's already a regular VIP that wanted that table. And that table was given to me without checking on cancelled reservations or anything like that.

I am not saying that I was targetted specifically for a bad experience- we ended up having a great time; and I don't hold a grudge on something like that as long as they level with me. I am the type that comes-in low-key and unpretentiously in most places unless I know that I have to be arrogant to get good service. I must have misread Feenie's unspoken policy to give snobbish service- so when I adjusted my attitude, I got noticed better; it was obvious. And I am speaking from about 25 years of extensive worldwide dining experiences in the right places.

I wonder if this isn't an interesting jumping point to a new topic on tips and experiences re: getting the right table?

"I hate people who are not serious about their meals." Oscar Wilde

I wonder if this isn't an interesting jumping point to a new topic on tips and experiences re: getting the right table?

Please do start the topic.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

We were just at Feenie's last Saturday night. We didn't dive too deeply into the menu but the room had a nice buzz. We both had the steak frites and I think the the frites were the tastiest I've ever had. They were kind of soft and flaccid which didn't seem like a good sign but they were delicious. Some of them were also a bit gritty but I could overlook that for now.

They also offer an extensive list of fizzes on their drinks list. I tried the Chicago which contained ruby port and lemon juice among other things and was an excellent tart apertif.

They seem to be keeping the menu fairly simple for now but the food was tasty and the room was just humming with energy.

As far as the service goes, it seems very smooth but maybe a touch formal for a bistro. We dropped by the other night for drinks and some dessert and I was just wearing shorts and a t shirt and they couldn't have been friendlier.

All in all I think it's a great addition to dining scene on the west side of Vancouver.

It ain't the meat it's the emotion

• 3 weeks later...

Took my wife to Feenie's last night (a tuesday). We had an 8.30 pm reservation and when we arrived the place was totally full. We had to wait a couple of minutes for them to set our table. The first impression of the service was that they were very enthusiastic and friendly but a little disorganized - 3 different people asked us if we had a reservation and I'm still not sure who the hostess was.

The room is very nice. They have clearly spent some serious $$ on the decor.Feenie's is completely unrecognizable from Boleto which used to be in this space and used to be one of our favorite places back when it was the Ecco il Pane restaurant. I won't spend a lot of time describing the decor, suffice to say that it was very hip and cool -reminded me of Salt in Sydney and someplace in New York that I couldn't put my finger on.

We both chose to have the prix fixe menu. My wife had the tomato confit tart with goat cheese (very good!), the seasonal white fish which was halibut last nite (very traditional and straightforward) and then a selection of ice creams for dessert ( ok). I had the steak tartare (very lightly seasoned, it was excellent) followed by the duck confit ( again excellent, melted in the mouth and complimented perfectly by the lentils and caramelized apples) and then the daily dessert which was a lovely lemon pound cake with macerated plums and figs.

My wife didn't drink and I had a Belgian beer because the wine list was a little short on wines by the glass. I didn't spend a lot of time studying the wine list, but it looked interesting - a lot of local and new world wines and many that you don't see everyday. Our first impressions of the service proved to be true - the gaps between courses were a little long, but our server was very friendly and if the service was a little disorganized it didn't detract from our experience.

We will definitely go back again. Its a great place for a late( late by Vancouver standards -9 pm or later) light meal or some tapas or for dessert and a cocktail after a movie. Excellent food, affordable prices, relaxed atmosphere.

I ventured out to Vancouver's newest hot spot, Feenie's on Monday night. We arrived sans reservations and was shown to a little alcove behind the bar. Although this is a little away from the action, it does offer a view into the kitchen which is always interesting. For drinks we ordered Fizzes which are the perfect pre meal summer time beverage. Very refreshing and nice to see rather than the much maligned martini list.

I ordered the steak and fries. Other than the silver vase/fry holder, the most interesting thing on the my plate was the balsamic dressing for my salad. I am not saying that the steak was not good, it just wasn't great. The sauce was good as were the fries (however, not the best in Vancouver by far - you will have to go to Salade de Fruits to get those!). That is the thing though, everything was just good and it seems so sad to have to use the most milky of adjectives to describe Rob Feenie's newest venture. Nothing had oomph, illicited oohs or ahs, not even a simple YUM!

Dessert was better tasting than dinner. We ordered an apple galette which used to be on the Tasting Menu and the vanilla pound cake with caramelized figs and lime cream. The vanilla pound cake was the day's dessert and the fig and the lime were a interesting combination. Both were once again good but still none of that illusive yum factor.

Perhaps it was the service that was the most disappointing. Feenie's is supposed to be a bistro, more casual in ambience and one would think with friendly service. It was like pulling teeth trying to get our waiter to smile. Even as we left the restaurant, we left disheartened as we had not achieved our goal. How hard is it to smile? Even with his Mud molded hair and Down Under accent, this foible was most unforgiveable.

Feenie's is worth trying. I will give it that. Busy bar, great place to be seen, and perhaps my expectations were too high. Afterall Rob Feenie is a great chef but it is the food and service that make a restaurant that you will go back to again and again and not because of its starry proprietor.

We went back to Feenie's again last nite for the second time in less than a week. They weren't quite as busy this time and the service was better. We had the same waiter as Ihatespam and he was helpful,smiling, friendly and charming, so maybe Ihatespam just caught him on a bad day.

We took some friends this time including a chef friend of ours and got to sample a lot more of the menu. There were some hits (the papardelle with duck and pine nuts, the duck shepherd's pie - though it needs alot more duck in it- and the beef short ribs), some misses (the spicy lobster bisque - rich but too thin and too salty) and some truly yummy stuff such as the charcuterie and just about all of the desserts.

We had a great time and will definitely go back again. Its not Lumiere, but then neither are the prices, and while not all the dishes are "firing on all cylinders" yet, overall the food quality is very good.

We had the same waiter as Ihatespam and he was helpful,smiling, friendly and charming, so maybe Ihatespam just caught him on a bad day.

My wife and I had the same waiter the first time we went to Feenie's, for lunch. We thought he was great! We both had the prix-fixe menu: roasted tomato & goat cheese tart to begin - this was the highlight, melt in your mouth, very rich & creamy. Second was the steak & frites which was very good, although my wife's fries were oversalted (mine were on the verge). We finished with a selection of ice creams and sorbets which were good but not very exciting.

Our second visit was for brunch. We had the breakfast poutine which was pretty good but paled in comparison to the lobster benedict which was absolutely amazing :wub:, we highly recommend it. Finished off with the white chocolate creme brulee which was excellent.

We'll be going back soon!

Not bad, not bad at all!

And the best part of eating at Fennie's is when you open the menu and see the prices. I was ready for the $150 drawn out lunch. When I first saw the menus prices I became noticeable happy. I smiled, relaxed and really began to enjoy the whole experience.

The second best part about eating at Fennie's is that a chef who has made his fame and is cooking what he wants designed the menu. The flavours are great, pure and simple. You can taste in every bite that the kitchen and the owner are having fun.

And Fennie's weenie was a little smaller then I expected.

Fennie's weenie menu

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Urf. They have that stupid calamari sandwich that Nob did that horrible FN Canada advert about.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 2 years later...

My friends went to Feenie's for dinner on the weekend and were highly disappointed. I was anticipating to go soon but now it's lower on my priority eat list.

Aside from the service and the wine, does anyone have anything good to say about the food and what I should order when I go? Is their day menu different from the evening menu?

I wrote a review on Feenie's that's up on Eat Vancouver right now.

I read your very excellent review, Ling. You made my mouth water and now Feenie's is on my list as is their cook book. I had a chance recently to pick up their cook book at Costco but did not get it and then returned a week later and all the cookbooks were sold out. I was a little choked. it is so much more expensive elsewhere.

Anyway, You really made me want to try the place. I have heard mixed reviews about Feenies so I have not tried it. I think I will definitely give it a try though.

I think restaurants and food are very personal experiences...what some people love, some people dislike. Of course, it depends upon what day you you go the restaurant, servers and chefs are people and have bad days too. I hope I pick a good day to try the place out with all the differing opinions I have heard.

Samasutra

Never met a vegetable I never liked except well okra!

• 2 months later...

My friend Carl is not one for white truffle foam or raspberry coulis. The thought of eating a veal cheek makes his skin crawl. A foie gras parfait would be as inviting to him as a leather insole creme brulee. Its not that his palette isn't refined. Carl simply doesn't have the patience for haute cuisine. So when it came time for me to host his culinary tour of Vancouver, I chose a dish we could both agree on: the hamburger. But not just any hamburger. Over the past four weeks, we have tested some of the best this city has to offer. We went to Diva's where he enjoyed a double Kobe beef cheeseburger (while I had mine with brasied short ribs, foie gras, and white truffle oil). We checked out Vera's Burger Shack and Moderne Burger. And, tonight, our journey took us to Feenie's, a place that gets my vote for "worst restaurant in which to have a conversation". The music is always a little too loud, the room's accoustics downright irritating.

We were seven. Carl, of course, chose the burger (sans foie gras and short ribs, natch) while I opted for what I assume is a new menu item: the Peking Duck club sandwich. I also ordered a lobster poutine for the table.

The lobster poutine was up first: excellent fries topped with bearnaise a sauce, brie, and a few lobster morsels. Although I wasn't expecting the dish to be overflowing with lobster, at $25+ I was expecting a bit more of a presence - and, at the very least, enough brie and bearnaise sauce to cover the fries.

When my Peking Duck clubhouse arrived, I instantly regretted not having gone with the burger. The sandwich was tiny. It was served on a toasted fruit and nut bread and included some excellent duck meat and skin and crispy pancetta. It was very good, but not particularly satisfying. Nevertheless, I would recommend it to people with smaller appetites (say anyone over ninety years of age).

One of my fellow diners ordered the Montreal smoked meat sandwich ("From Montreal,"our waiter informed us) which, for some reason, was served with melted cheese. As someone who grew up in Montreal, I assured my fellow diner that this was the exception and not the rule. She was less than impressed.

Carl enjoyed his burger but rated the Diva's burger heads above the rest. Moderne Burger came in second. Vera's and Feenie's tied for third. Note to Rob and co.: work on that bun.

As we paid our bill, a woman seated at a neighboring table asked our waiter for some cheddar. He informed her that the restaurant didn't like to encourage customers to order cheddar because there were so many superior cheeses on the menu. Upon overhearing this, Carl's eyes bugged out so far I feared they would pop right out of his head and into his condiment cart.

If there's one thing Carl dislikes more than foie gras, its waiters with attitude. After tonight's experience, I doubt I could ever convince him to go back. Red Onion anyone?

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

Edited for 10 beers and a shot of regret.

damnit, double damn. I missed it. So, what's going on there? RF, why don't you post anymore? Inquiring minds want to know, can we unconditionally recommend your Vancouver spots any longer? :blink::unsure:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

As we paid our bill, a woman seated at a neighboring table asked our waiter for some cheddar.  He informed her that the restaurant didn't like to encourage customers to order cheddar because there were so many superior cheeses on the menu.  Upon overhearing this, Carl's eyes bugged out so far I feared they would pop right out of his head and into his condiment cart. 

Man. What is up with Cheddar these days? It seems like someone decided it has become anti-haute cuisine. I love Cheddar! They could have told her that for sure they will give her some cheddar and then give her some really good cheddar. It's not like she asked for Processed Cheese (which really is in its own food category).

Maybe cheddar will experience a rekindling like lobster one day.

At least we don't fertilize our lawns with it.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello