• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Feenie's

Explorer

As we paid our bill, a woman seated at a neighboring table asked our waiter for some cheddar.  He informed her that the restaurant didn't like to encourage customers to order cheddar because there were so many superior cheeses on the menu.  Upon overhearing this, Carl's eyes bugged out so far I feared they would pop right out of his head and into his condiment cart. 

Personally, I would have told the waiter to shove his superior cheeses up his arse. Dear God, if you have an item on the menu, it bloody well better be something any server could recommend. My first question to the server would have been "Then why is it on the menu in the first place??"

Cheddar inferior? Surely the armageddon is approaching.

A.

Last few times I've been in, they had 5 year old cheddar on the cheese list...I think it's from Quebec.

I personally love cheddar as long as it's 8 years or older. I don't think the lady at the next table deserved that comment, though.

What a discerning palate you have. I personally can't tell the difference between a cheddar that is six years old, three or 10.

Could you elaborate on the differences, maybe this old palate could still learn a thing or two.

Thanks, :smile:

Personally, I would have told the waiter to shove his superior cheeses up his arse.

Another name for the Cheddar Gorge. :laugh:

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Last few times I've been in, they had 5 year old cheddar on the cheese list...I think it's from Quebec.

I personally love cheddar as long as it's 8 years or older. I don't think the lady at the next table deserved that comment, though.

What a discerning palate you have. I personally can't tell the difference between a cheddar that is six years old, three or 10.

Could you elaborate on the differences, maybe this old palate could still learn a thing or two.

Thanks, :smile:

The older cheddars I get from Les Amis seem to have crunchy salt crystals, and a much more pungent flavour. I notice a big difference between the 5 year and the 8 year, but not as much of a difference between the 8 year and the 12 year, so I just buy the 8 year because it's a little bit cheaper.

Edited by Ling (log)