• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese products

torakris

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Kewpie has a couple mayo based sandwich spreads, all of which I have found disturbing, but their newest one just sounds quite gross...

Vegetable and Bean Spread

with onions, potatoes, red peppers, carrots, corn, chickpeas, grean peas and dried soy beans

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Around fifteen years ago, someone introduced me to aerosol coffee. It's a kind of instant concentrate in a spray can. Squirt some into a cup, add water, and you've got a cup of coffee.

Predictably, it was disgusting.

Though now I come to think of it, conceptually no sillier than dried parsley or cooking spray.

• 1 month later...

I don't know why, but some people are now crazy about bucket pudding (baketsu purin in Japanese), as well as "naneraka" (smooth) purin.

This baketsu purin is exceptional. 100,000 yen! It's pudding made in a 9-liter gold-plated bucket from ukokkei (silky fowl) eggs. It comes with five 0.3-g gold leaves and a 42.5-cm diameter celadon plate.

Sliced white bread labelled 'Mild Bread'. I suppose for people who find the regular commercial product just too rugged and in-your-face.

I googled and found only one webpage that lists "マイルドブレッド" (mild bread in katakana), along with

Rich bread, plain bread, Igirisu (British) bread, cinammon bread, and onion bread (half).

UNFORTUNATELY, no photo or description of those breads. :sad:

I suppose any bread can be called mild bread if it is mild...

• 3 months later...

Can you think of spending 70,000 to 90,000 yen for a single rice cooker?

Mitsubishi recently released the most expensive rice cooker ever:

http://www.mitsubishielectric.co.jp/home/s...tokuchou_b.html

The inner pot is made of carbon material.

It may be enticing to some, but not to me. I'm quite satisfied with my 17,000-yen IH (= induction heating) rice cooker.

It may be enticing to some, but not to me.  I'm quite satisfied with my 17,000-yen IH (= induction heating) rice cooker.

Inspired by thoughts of takikomi gohan, I am currently eye-ing an IH rice cooker from Zojirushi.

I am tempted by the induction heating and the brown rice GABA feature (pre-germination) they have on the cooker, but am wondering 1) if the feature really works:

"...a newly discovered way of cooking brown rice to “activate” it and increase naturally occurring gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), an amino acid in brown rice believed to have health giving properties such as lowering blood pressure, improving kidney function and relieving stress. The brown rice is “activated” by soaking the rice at 104°F for 2 hours before the actual cooking begins.

:huh: 2 hours is all it needs for germination? Hmmm...

Back to google - see if what other companies are peddling these kinds of features.

That's strange... According Zojirushi's webpage, http://www.zojirushi.co.jp/corp/news/2003/030729/NPAT.html

it takes about 9 to 15 hours at 30oC

ご家庭で手軽に発芽玄米が作れる「発芽コース」(NP-AT型のみ)

玄米を発芽させ、「GABA」などの栄養分と食べやすさをグンとアップさせた発芽玄米。ご家庭でお好みの銘柄の玄米を内釜に入れるだけで、簡単に「発芽玄米」が作れます。

玄米、水、銅板セット(付属品)を内釜に入れ、メニューキーで「発芽コース」を選択しスタート。約30℃を維持して発芽を促進させ、約9時間~15時間で出来上がります。(一度に作れる量はNP-AT10型で3合、NP-AT18型で5合までです。)

That's strange... According Zojirushi's webpage, http://www.zojirushi.co.jp/corp/news/2003/030729/NPAT.html

????????????????????????????????

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

??????????????????????????????????????????????30???????????????9???15???????????(?????????????10??????????18?????????)

...which is why I am dubious about this claim of 2 hour germination. I had heard it takes a minimum of 12 hours. But still, I am susceptible to advertisements, and it is the only HI rice-cooker I can find.

The cookers I see from your link are probably the more up-to-date models. Wondering if I should just wait for them to make it over to the US market....or I could just keep rehitting the 2 hour germination button (6 or 7 times) :hmmm:

????????????????????????????????

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

??????????????????????????????????????????????30???????????????9???15???????????(?????????????10??????????18?????????)

...which is why I am dubious about this claim of 2 hour germination. I had heard it takes a minimum of 12 hours. But still, I am susceptible to advertisements, and it is the only HI rice-cooker I can find.

The cookers I see from your link are probably the more up-to-date models. Wondering if I should just wait for them to make it over to the US market....or I could just keep rehitting the 2 hour germination button (6 or 7 times) :hmmm:

The webpage that I provided a link to above states that the NP-AT is the only model that provides "hatsuga (germination) course" mode, which enables you to make germinated brown rice, so I wonder which model you are referring to.

By the way, I can see from this post of yours that you have not installed a Japanese character set on your computer. :biggrin:

The webpage that I provided a link to above states that the NP-AT is the only model that provides "hatsuga (germination) course" mode, which enables you to make germinated brown rice, so I wonder which model you are referring to.

By the way, I can see from this post of yours that you have not installed a Japanese character set on your computer. :biggrin:

:biggrin: I'm a mac person so Japanese characters are already installed - its how my Safari browser interacts with certain webpages. Most of the time it works except for webpages generated from (big surprise) Microsoft Word...

My mistake. I guess the model that I am looking at right now (NH-VBC18) offers not actual germination but a "course in lieu" of the 9-15 hour germination period. If my nifty translator is correct, the model you've linked to refers to this as the previous models' brown rice mode that releases more GABA than a straight cooking course.

[i would paste the japanese text, but either my mac/browser isn't agreeing with the rest of the world or the forum software doesn't understand my installed set... oh well. It's listed as #5 on the linked page, loosely translated as :"The original "brown rice activity" menu of ZOJIRUSHI"]

[i would paste the japanese text, but either my mac/browser isn't agreeing with the rest of the world or the forum software doesn't understand my installed set... oh well.  It's listed as #5 on the linked page, loosely translated as :"The original "brown rice activity" menu of ZOJIRUSHI"]

:biggrin: ah ha!

Activates brown rice for about two hours at about 40oC before cooking!

玄米を約40℃で約2時間活性させてから炊飯する

(Why does oC appear as a square? :huh: )

• 1 month later...

It may be enticing to some, but not to me.  I'm quite satisfied with my 17,000-yen IH (= induction heating) rice cooker.

Inspired by thoughts of takikomi gohan, I am currently eye-ing an IH rice cooker from Zojirushi.

I am tempted by the induction heating and the brown rice GABA feature (pre-germination) they have on the cooker, but am wondering 1) if the feature really works:

"...a newly discovered way of cooking brown rice to “activate” it and increase naturally occurring gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), an amino acid in brown rice believed to have health giving properties such as lowering blood pressure, improving kidney function and relieving stress. The brown rice is “activated” by soaking the rice at 104°F for 2 hours before the actual cooking begins.

Back to google - see if what other companies are peddling these kinds of features.

GABA is the substance your body releases when you take Xanax or Valiums...

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I had an Ougon Hiritsu Purin (Golden Ratio Pudding) for the first time yesterday. It was on sale, 100 yen per two cups.

gallery_16375_4595_62373.jpg

Half eaten:

gallery_16375_4595_28299.jpg

Manufacturer's webpage on the purin:

http://www.morinagamilk.co.jp/products/bra...ugon/index.html

(Japanese only)

It says that the manufacturer has found a gold ratio for fresh cream and egg yolk.

Overall, a good value for only 50 yen. I want to buy it again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I wasn't sure if I should put this in the pasta thread or the ramen thread, so i chose this thread instead.

Is it ramen or is it pasta??

Currently in two flavors:

tonkotsu (pork based ramen broth) and carbonara

chicken based ramen broth and tomato sauce with basil

Only 5 minutes in the frypan!

I think I will pass... :huh:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"