• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese products

torakris

the other gross thing is that they actually put the cheese ( a mix or mozarella and cheddar) into the noodles.

What a waste of cheese! :angry:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I suppose I've been in Japan too long, because I actually think that cheese and curry go well together. It's our favourite topping for popcorn, and it doesn't sound all that bad as instant ramen either...

oh dear, I don't think I ever be here long enough.................. :shock::biggrin::biggrin:

My family tops curry rice with chopped dill pickles (preferably Claussen). This no doubt started as an experiment back before we had a large number of Asian food stores in the D.C. area. Odd as it sounds, I still love it, and regularly offer dill pickles along with rakyo when I make curry.

• 2 months later...

Just ran across this:

http://itoham.mediagalaxy.ne.jp/news/030304.html

It is called a mousse ball, they are actually sausages that have a mousse like texture and are meant to be eaten straight out of the pack, no heating up necessary! Made from 100% pork they have 30% fewer calories and are great for bentos and snacks!

anybody?

On my trip to the supermarket this morning I picked some up and just served them to the children for lunch.

It wasn't nearly as mousse-y as I was expecting and eating them straight from the pack (there was A LOT or trepidition here) found they taste exactly like bologne (how do you spell that anyway?).

Big disappointment! :angry:

• 2 months later...

Just saw a commercial for an interesting thing. The product is called Coolish and it is being marketed as a drinkable ice cream, wouldn't that be what we call a shake? :blink:

Coolish:

http://www.lotte.co.jp/coolish/02.html

in 3 flavors

vanilla, cappucino and key lime (do the Japanese even know what a key lime is? :blink: )

and for those who can't decide on what kind of pasta to eat for dinner, Kagome has come to the rescue with Half and Half. Retort pasta sauces that come in individual servings with 2 different flavors in each packet.

Half and Half from kagome:

http://www1.kagome.co.jp/cgi-bin/products/....cgi?CODE2=A005

pictures #4, 5 and 6 down

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
I just ran across this:

http://www.kikkoman.co.jp/products/lineup/41018.html

It is a spread for toast that tastes like apple pie.....

That doesn't sound too bad, actually. On paper, at least. I wonder how similar it tastes to apple butter. I've seen quite a good selection of regular jams and jellies in Japan, even a bunch of only fruit/fruit juice and organic ones. Some imported, some domestic Japanese products. But I don't think I've seen apple butter (or other apple based spread).

On the other hand, I really don't care for peanut soft, Japan's regular peanut butter spread.

I have neglected this thread until now. I'm sorry many of the links are broken.

I guess those are the ones that flopped..... :biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...

Ok it isn't exactly a product per se, but last night at Denny's (we stopped in just for dessert) I had a matcha mousse parfait. It was actually quite decent with vanilla ice cream, coverd with an azuki bean sauce, then a large dollop of matcha mouse, a small cream puff filled with ice cream and a swirl of whip cream on top of it all. On te swirl of cream though there were 3 edamame! :shock:

It was a nice decorative touch but the idea of edamame with a parfait?

here is a picture of it from the Denny's homepage, wish it was bigger though:

http://www.dennys.co.jp/dj/menu/img/3-gran...ert/g8-33-p.jpg

• 8 months later...

The kids show my children were watching this morning had a commercial for a new salad dressing that is it a tube and is jellied.... :blink: I don't know which is weirder this product or the fact that they played the commercial 3 times in a row!! :angry:

Ebara's jellied dressings

Japanese style flavor, basil and lemon, and black vinegar and ginger

click on any of the products for more information, these are all non-oil (no oil used) products