• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Campari

edemuth

I enjoy a Negroni, but made with vodka instead of gin - so one night a while ago the bartender at Lupa and I decided it should be called a Negrolschky - try ordering one of those and see what kind of looks you get!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I made this:

2 parts Campari

1 part limoncello (my own, made with Meyer lemons)

2 parts soda (fizzy mineral water actually)

Jim

I would like to explore your idea further. One of the reasons why I like Campari and soda so much is that it is not sweet.

How much sugar do you use in your limoncello? Does it make the Campari drink sweet?

It's not that I don't like limoncello having spent time on the Amalfi Coast where it is almost compulsory.

I had forgotten about this thread and am so glad it resurfaced!

I tried Jim's cocktail and find it quite delicious. It is a bit sweet, so I added a nice lemon wedge as garnish and that evened things out. The drink is sweet at the start, but then you get the bitter at the end. And the extra boozey/herbal kick from the Limoncello also seems to add some dimension.

Thanks to Jim for another great recipe!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad to see it, altho' chagrined a bit at not responding to some questions from last year!

edemuth...

The owari satsuma mandarin (I'm calling it rosolo di mandarino) is awesome, as good as the limoncello and a beuatiful color. I'll be making more when Snow's Citrus starts shipping in October or November.

The kumquat version is decent, but not as good as the mandarin...it's a good way to use up a bunch of kumquats, though.

I wasn't too happy with a currant infusion...just didn't have the clear flavor that I suspect comes from the citrus' acidity.

I do have a batch of nocino (green walnut) soaking now...last year's was great.

Roger...

I make 4:5 sugar:water syrup and dilute the infused grain alcohol 50/50...that yields a 95 proof limoncello. I keep a bottle of Don Alfonso limoncello on hand to compare, and mine's getting close.

I find that we mostly drink the citrus infusions on the rocks using crushed ice...when the ice melts and dilutes the liquor it rounds out the flavor. They are pretty sweet, but highly alcoholic, so it's easy to get loaded.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

• 2 weeks later...

oh hurray for fellow Campareans! I think I've just invented a new star sign.

The Venetians have a mad cocktail called a 'spritz', which is Campari, white wine and soda water in equal proportions, to be drunk pre-lunch. for some reason, it is absolutely lethal. I had one and was completely gaga, and I'm a long-time drinker of (a) Campari and (b) white wine (and soda water, obviously).

But my all time favourite Campari cocktail is called, bizarrely, Mary's Knees. No, I have no idea why. My mum used to make it in industrial quantities for beach parties in the 70s. I have posted the recipe somewhere else - someone was looking for what to do with blood orange juice so forgive me if you've seen before but really, it's too good to waste!

you need an empty 1.5l water bottle

orange juice to 2/3rds of the way up the bottle

add an inch (approx) of Campari - or more of course since we LOVE it

add an inch (approx) of orange liqueur eg Cointreau, Grand Marnier

add the juice of 1-2 juicy lemons

top up with vodka, shake well and chill.

the Campari takes the edge off the orange and adds its own particular hum of bitterness. not to mention colour from heaven.

I want a Campari soda now and it's (a) raining and (b) 10am in London.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

you need an empty 1.5l water bottle

orange juice to 2/3rds of the way up the bottle

add an inch (approx) of Campari - or more of course since we LOVE it

add an inch (approx) of orange liqueur eg Cointreau, Grand Marnier

add the juice of 1-2 juicy lemons

top up with vodka, shake well and chill.

the Campari takes the edge off the orange and adds its own particular hum of bitterness.  not to mention colour from heaven.

That sound great... but lethal! How sweet is it?

I want a Campari soda now and it's (a) raining and (b) 10am in London.

Why let that stop you?

regards,

trillium

Another way to make a Venetian 'spritz' is to use Campari and Prosecco. Prosecco is the sparkling wine that is produced in the region. In the US you can find passable bottles of Prosecco at reasonable prices.

The 'Spritz Campari' was my wife's favorite afternoon cocktail while in Venice last Christmas.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN