• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite simple rum drink recipes?

Scott S

If this thread is still alive and well, a great sipping rum is Barbancourt (Haitian), preferably 5 star. I'm amazed no one has

mentioned it. Some folks can't tell it from a good brandy.

We have a few threads on barbancourt in the Ministry of Rum forum. Yes, its a great rum. I like the 5 star.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Haiti's Barbancourt and Barbancourt 30 yr. The first in a very good, tall glass over ice, and the 30 yr up in a good crystal snifter. The best best rum on the planet to my taste.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Haiti's Barbancourt and Barbancourt 30 yr. The first in a very good, tall glass over ice, and the 30 yr up in a good crystal snifter. The best best rum on the planet to my taste.

Theabroma

30 year? Where did you get this? I thought the oldest was the 15.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Barbancourt 30

30 year? Where did you get this? I thought the oldest was the 15.

Several years ago, and from time to time it would surface in Austin. There was, at the end of the 80's real estate boom before the S&L busts, a rash of gallery openings in Austin.

For whatever odd and wonderful reason a Haitian gentleman opened a gallery, Erzulie Freda, in the little warehouse dist, which was just beginning to awaken to a new life. At the opening he served canapes and cocktails, including p'tit ponch. Lurking at the back of the bar were 3 bottles of 30 yr old Barbancourt. I think that he and I were about the only two who drank it.

After that, and only very sporadically, I would find a bottle in one of the two specialty liquor stores in Austin. I haven't seen it in a long time. I suppose that it is available in the Caribbean, and certainly in Haiti.

I have been looking for it in Mexico, expecially when I was in Veracruz, but I have not seen any Barbancourt at all. I am finding Bacardi, of course, and Appleton Estates. Otherwise the quality rums of choice are Havana Clubs of 3, 5, & 7 years and Ron Mathuselam, blanco and anejo.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Hi everyone.

I love rum. Having said that I like Mojitos alot but they are a real pain to make the right way so I usually only make them in the summer on weekends and vacations.

My simple rum drink is a glass of ice with Cruzan Single Barrel covering the cubes.

A local bartender took it upon herself to make me a rum martini. It was very good - but I have no idea what she put in it. Smooth, slightly sweet. I love it when they make you something without having to ask what you want/like and get it right.

Oh, and homemade hot buttered rum. Now that it is cold...

Edited by tsquare (log)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Also, don't use fresh lime juice -- the sugaryness of Rose's is essential. When you get it right, you will experience the most fascinating progression of flavors.

I disagree about the limes -- Goslings is very sweet, as is ginger beer.

I was turned on to Dark'n'Stormies years ago in Bermuda where they are said to have originated and are served everywhere, always with the local Barrett's Ginger Beer. (Even in a bind, without ice or refrigeration a few summers back, I enjoyed what we dubbed Dark'n'Warmies).

Barrett's is not essential, and I like Goya ginger beer best. But I have two secrets that make my Dark'n'Stormies memorable -- and quick to disappear. First, I add to the bottom of the glass either a sliver of ginger root or a few drops of ginger juice. Next, I shake in one or two drops of habanero sauce (it disappears into the flavor profile with the ginger nicely, and makes the lips tingle). I go heavy on the rum, top off with just a tad of ginger beer and a squeezed lime wedge.

This way the soda's sugar doesn't outcompete the rum's inherant sweetness, and the spiciness keeps you sipping.

• 1 month later...
Also, don't use fresh lime juice -- the sugaryness of Rose's is essential.  When you get it right, you will experience the most fascinating progression of flavors.

I disagree about the limes -- Goslings is very sweet, as is ginger beer.

I was turned on to Dark'n'Stormies years ago in Bermuda where they are said to have originated and are served everywhere, always with the local Barrett's Ginger Beer. (Even in a bind, without ice or refrigeration a few summers back, I enjoyed what we dubbed Dark'n'Warmies).

Barrett's is not essential, and I like Goya ginger beer best. But I have two secrets that make my Dark'n'Stormies memorable -- and quick to disappear. First, I add to the bottom of the glass either a sliver of ginger root or a few drops of ginger juice. Next, I shake in one or two drops of habanero sauce (it disappears into the flavor profile with the ginger nicely, and makes the lips tingle). I go heavy on the rum, top off with just a tad of ginger beer and a squeezed lime wedge.

This way the soda's sugar doesn't outcompete the rum's inherant sweetness, and the spiciness keeps you sipping.

I could see that, but I stick by what I said. Goya and other spicy ginger beers are more spicy than sweet. I recently switched from Myer's to Gosling's and I think I might like the Myer's version more. They are both sweet, but in contrast with Rose's, their toastiness comes out.

I made these for New Year's at a friend's apartment and they were very well received. We used a brand (Jamaican, I think) from a local deli. Kind of cloudy and a little too sweet, but good.

I'll make you a deal--you try it my way & I'll try it your way. OK?

Another variation you could try: I got a simple recipe for Ginger Lime Concentrate on the internet long ago--basically, you just shred ginger into a strainer, squeeze some limes over it, and mash out the juice. You can keep it in the fridge--it will turn pink like pickled ginger--and add a splash to drinks. I use it all the time in the summer but I don't think I ever tried it in a Dark n' Stormy...

P.S. There was an article in the NY Times recently about Spice Market--they have a "rum tamarind punch" that is just tamarind nectar & aged rum. Designed to be compatible with food. Sounds good! I don't think I've seen tamarind nectar, at least not in the supermarket, but I know Goya makes it.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA